Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon world headquarter visit

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 12:02 PM
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am almost outta here for the trip to China to visit Dahon
Pretty exited about it.

Probably will post pictures on the facebook page as it seems to be the easiest way on the road to do that.

There will be things I cant take pics off, obviously. Other pics I will take will have to wait until product spec is finalized. Etc etc etc

What would you like to see ? Or ask the peeps in charge ?

Thor
Old 01-11-18, 12:06 PM
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 845 Times in 589 Posts
Wonderful!!! Have a fantastic trip,...

If you can, could you please provide a few pictures of some internal geared hub bikes. I'd really love to see them.

Thanks!!!
Old 01-11-18, 12:27 PM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Have a great time!

Let's see the prototype front bag mount on the Curl!
Old 01-11-18, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
I'm curious if Dahon has any drop-bar folders with 16-20" wheels in the pipeline. I know they had the Allegro based on the Ritchey BreakAway, with the concentric seat tube design and 700c wheels, but I don't think that's being sold anymore.

Seems like a 16-20" wheel drop-bar folder is an untapped market for them. It might be just the thing to boost market share and visibility. Just don't have them make umpteen models, one or two would be just fine.
Old 01-11-18, 02:05 PM

Bikes: Dahon Curve D8 (Sturmey Archer X-RF8), Crius Smart 3.0 5 speed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
I am almost outta here for the trip to China to visit Dahon
Pretty exited about it. Probably will post pictures on the facebook page as it seems to be the easiest way on the road to do that. There will be things I cant take pics off, obviously. Other pics I will take will have to wait until product spec is finalized. Etc etc etc

What would you like to see ? Or ask the peeps in charge ?
Thor
Hi Thor.

Would it be possible to ask the Dahon leadership if they could make Dahon models that aren't available in North America through dealers, to make them available to order online directly by consumers? For example in the past I would have liked to order a Dahon Dove, but they are not available in North America through the dealer network and only available in Asia. Or perhaps make the request even more generic.... any models that one region's dealer network doesn't sell, have those available to the consumer directly via the web. This could be used to gauge interest in models that Dahon or the dealers didn't think would be desired in one region. If the online orders were popular then the dealer network could start offering them.

Looking forward to any info and photos from HQ that you can share.
Old 01-11-18, 06:23 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane, Dahon EEZZ, Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wish you a wonderful trip in China. Thor. I will check out your Facebook and see the pics you will post.
Old 01-11-18, 06:28 PM

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Have a great trip!

Thanks
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 01-12-18, 06:15 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 1,055 Posts
There have been repeated claims on this board that Dahon doesn't manufacture anything, they only assemble commercial parts onto frames that re brought in from outside suppliers. You might document this one way or the other.

I know you're visiting the factory, but if you could swing by one of the hundreds of Dahon exclusive stores and give your impressions, that would be cool.
Old 01-12-18, 07:55 AM
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
please post some pics here for those of us who refuse to join the facebook borg.
Old 01-12-18, 10:11 AM

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
There have been repeated claims on this board that Dahon doesn't manufacture anything, they only assemble commercial parts onto frames that re brought in from outside suppliers. You might document this one way or the other.

I know you're visiting the factory, but if you could swing by one of the hundreds of Dahon exclusive stores and give your impressions, that would be cool.
I've commented that the Dahon videos have been limited to assembly and steel frame welding, wheel assembly etc so it would be good to see some evidence of more sophisticated manufacturing of aluminium frames, hydroforming of tubes and aluminium frame welding, painting etc. The impression of their current factory videos on youtube looks fairly low tech. Fairly sure some frames are bought in. Those ford branded frames are sourced externally. Anyway it would be good to see some more sophisticated manufacturing at Dahon than their current videos.
Old 01-12-18, 11:50 AM
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will try
staying in the workers quarters for the first days. Same like the boss actually. Don't know if I am allowed to make sensible pics of course. But will sleep in the factory and eat in the factory etc which should be fun.
I am sure Bonzo that not all frames are made there, I do know that all frames are tested there. Which would make sense

as for workers compensation.... well that tricky as I don't have anything to compare. I do know that the workers turnover (peeps don't come back from holiday week , and new peeps need to be hired ) is way below the Chinese standard. Lets me to believe that they are happy

Best Thor
Old 01-12-18, 01:48 PM
tcs
Palmer

as for workers compensation.... well that tricky as I don't have anything to compare. I do know that the workers turnover (peeps don't come back from holiday week , and new peeps need to be hired ) is way below the Chinese standard. Lets me to believe that they are happy
The bicycle manufacturing workers' paradise was surely Burley Cooperative - well, you know, until the company went bankrupt and all the worker/members laid each other off.
Old 01-12-18, 02:12 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
landscape around there and the people who do the work?
Old 01-12-18, 02:23 PM
tcs
Palmer

I am sure Bonzo that not all frames are made there...
Made at another Dahon location or subsidiary? Okay. Produced by another company...

"Headquartered in California, DAHON now produces their distinctive folding bikes in their
own factories and production lines in China and most recently Bulgaria
." - Dahon website

...awkward.
Old 01-12-18, 06:22 PM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Pictures of engineers in process of designing? How prototyping is being done? Market testing?
Old 01-12-18, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I will try
staying in the workers quarters for the first days. Same like the boss actually. Don't know if I am allowed to make sensible pics of course. But will sleep in the factory and eat in the factory etc which should be fun. (... snip ...)

Best Thor

Woohoo!!! Don't forget to take pictures of the communal showers and toilets.
Old 01-13-18, 12:39 AM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
P.S. I lived under similar conditions and can assure that bad conditions and having a job is far better than no job and bad conditions. At least you can pay for food and clothes.
Old 01-13-18, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BooksandBikes
His questions should be business related.
Originally Posted by BooksandBikes
ThorUSA should only ask questions about new models, colors and are there going to be an increase in electric folders.
So after 7 months and 71 posts you are taking charge and telling us what we can do and nwhat we can not do?? Interesting...

Last edited by badmother; 01-13-18 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Leave the politics out please. Have a good time Thor.
Old 01-13-18, 08:38 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
BooksandBikes, Please leave the politics out of this thread. This has nothing to do about seeing new things at the factory.

If you want to discuss about human labor conditions, I challenge you in P and R.

This is up my alley.

Other than that, stop talking about it here. Thank you.

Political comments have been removed. Lets continue answering OP's question.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 01-13-18 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 08:39 PM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Lets keep the political commentary out of this forum. Political content is only allowed in the P+R forum.

Thank you.
Old 01-14-18, 01:00 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
There is a huge difference between politics and observations regarding working conditions, which are essentially apolitical.
Old 01-14-18, 01:09 AM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
There is a huge difference between politics and observations regarding working conditions, which are essentially apolitical.
Thank you. The posts were about American labor vs other countries and such. It is more than welcome in the P and R forum.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 01-14-18, 09:50 PM
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Visits to Dahon in Shenzhen I have found to be very interesting, both inside and outside. When you are out on the street at 7:30 AM the traffic jams, mostly of bicycles, are quite remarkable. A few large electronics factories in the neigborhood have about 5000 workers come on (and off) shift every 8 hours.

Dahon's campus has both workers quarters, head quarters, factory, warehouse, recreation centers and dining halls. I do not know all of the details, but in general many of the workers and managers live on campus. Many have come from places afar and may have other homes, but many also have their whole family on hand.

The facility in Shenzhen (Guangdong Province China) has what had been the full Dahon factory (several floors) in one building as well as a regimented testing lab in the building. The office having several floors for different departments, and engineering. Dining and Apartments are in 2 additional buildings. A fleet of bikes is on site and bikes are available for most employees upon request.

These are some various pictures, including one of Dr. David Hon. I can only upload 5 pictures to a post so I will leave this here for now. I wish I had pictures of the Ping Pong hall. It is really fun to see the company CEO, in his 70's, engaged in rigorous game play with different workers.

The Shenzhen factory is near the edge of the large metropolis and there is nice riding is in the region around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2016-07-31 23.11.22.jpg (890.4 KB, 136 views)
2016-08-05 02.18.14.jpg (833.6 KB, 134 views)
2016-08-05 02.44.48.jpg (724.9 KB, 133 views)
2016-08-05 16.09.42.jpg (939.1 KB, 134 views)
2016-09-30 10.18.15.jpg (430.3 KB, 132 views)
Old 01-17-18, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
On my trip to China several years ago I took a case of 50 powerbars (none left when I got home). I hated the food in China... Have fun. The people there are awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.