Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Things I've learned

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Things I've learned

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-05, 06:00 PM
Da Big Kahuna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Things I've learned

A "Headsweats" bandana does a pretty good job of avoiding helmet hair. I was afraid it might result in matted hair but it doesn't - and the hair stays pretty dry. The headband part can cause a little muss on the hair at the front of the head, but much better than helmet hair.

Some Nike polyester shorts - don't really have any "name" to put to them, but they are fairly soft, very flexible, have no rigidity (no creases) - work pretty well over biking shorts. I notice almost no difference between wearing them on top or not. I like having the front pockets - easier to get something out of in a hurry.

If you ride your bike to a beach and need to carry a mat, buy a "Neatsheet" (I got mine at Walmart). Separate the two plies and then cut the single ply in half. The result is a pretty darn compact beachmat that fits anywhere. I can even roll it up WITH a pair of swim trunks and fit it in a water bottle cage (usually inside a little nylon bag to keep road grime off).

I have noticed that sometimes people ask whether or not bicycle jerseys are really better than a normal shirt - they are (not to say it has to be an "officially" labeled bike jersey, but the coolmax and other materials really help a LOT. Can't believe I rode for a long time with a regular shirt.

While it may not be best for speed, I love my bicycle sandals. VERY comfortable when it is warm plus just easy to get in and out of.

Backpacks aren't a bad as I thought they would be (I use a camelback Mule with the water container removed). I did use a small backpack before that which was nothing special. Darn cheap, but resulted in heat/sweat issues where it contacted the back.