Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

How to avoid sun stroke

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

How to avoid sun stroke

Old 06-12-05, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to avoid sun stroke

Yesterday it was like 90 out-- i went for a 2 hr ride and was pushing pretty hard--although i was constantly hydrating myself, i think i must have gotten sun stroke, as my body has been scorching hot since i came back, and i've been dizzy and natious. How do you serious riders avoid sun stroke---would wearing some sort of bandana or beannie under my helmet help?
Old 06-12-05, 02:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunscreen and hydration. That's pretty much it for me.
Old 06-12-05, 02:14 PM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Second that. Sunscreen and lots of water is just about the only way to do it. I ride hard though 95-100 degree weather and the only thing that'll get you through is lots of water. I'm talking two 24-32 ounce bottles. Get a light mesh jersey instead of the regular spandex.
Old 06-12-05, 02:23 PM
Now with racer-boy font!

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Tuscany, Trek 5500, Breezer Storm, Bianchi road bike (fixed)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you feel that you are getting too hot dump some water over your head and down your back. Carry a bandana in your jersey pocket to wipe sweat. It works better than the terry on your glove.

www.eastalabamacycling.org
Old 06-12-05, 05:13 PM
H23

Bikes: bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We (most of the USA) had a rather cool spring. We appear to be going head-first into a hot summer. I've noticed a heat acclimation problem myself over the last week-- I have trouble with finishing my runs.

I think that it will simply takes a few weeks to get used to it, in the meantime take it easy and drink regularly.
Old 06-12-05, 06:34 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I find that a good helmet visor keeps some of the heat off your face. If you get heat stroke, even with enough water you still may need to find shade or a cool place to lower your temp. Also take it easy if you need to. The water over the head is helpful.