Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

What is "Spinning"?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

What is "Spinning"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-05, 07:22 PM

Bikes: Upgraded Wally World Speacial.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is "Spinning"?

Can anyone here define to me what "Spinning" is. Details please and how and why would I benefit from "Spinning"?
Old 06-12-05, 07:30 PM
Woody

Bikes: Serotta/ Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Simply put its the art of peddling actually there are classes at local health clubs where a person leads the riders through various type of ride stationary of course ..You become a better cyclist more efficient etc etc
Old 06-12-05, 07:44 PM
CyclePath

Bikes: 1980 Austro Daimler Vent Noir/Reynolds 531/Campy NR/NGS. 1983 Univega Super Strada/Tange Champion/Dura Ace AX. 1984 Raleigh Elkhorn MTB. 2002 EPX 303/CF/Ultegra/105. 2005 Motobecane Fly Pro/XT/LX HT. 2006 Scattante CFR LE DA 10.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, spinning means high cadence: 100+ crank rpms at a relatively low gear on the road, on the rollers, or on the mag. trainer. Good for easy/rest days and really improves pedaling efficiency.
Old 06-12-05, 11:13 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Crank It Up gives the classical definition. If you observe a lot of riders you will note casual and new bike riders ride with cadences in the 40-70 range. Riders with a lot of experience or racing types will have cadences in the 75-110 range. Most people find persistent cadences above 95-100 something that takes a lot of getting used to.

The other definition is a type of aerobic very energetic stationary bike training popular at health and sports clubs. A group of people get on the stationary bikes and with an instructor who calls out intervals and in time to sports clubs soundtracks you spend 30-60minutes of very energetic riding. The first few episodes will wring you out but after awhile you adapt and can keep up. It is a good way to efficiently train at a time of day when road riding is a bad idea or weather inhibited (nights/evenings/northern winters). Steve
Old 06-13-05, 03:48 AM

Bikes: Scott Mambo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the moment I am working on increasing my cadence but when I get to 95-100rpm I start bouncing in the saddle, how do I go about stopping this bouncing and develop a smooth rhythm? Is it just through practice or are there any strategies for reducing bounce?
Old 06-13-05, 06:21 AM

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrdoright0405
Can anyone here define to me what "Spinning" is. Details please and how and why would I benefit from "Spinning"?
"Spinning," as defined as a type of ride, has come to take on the connotation of a rather easy ride as compared to the usual hammerfest. On thursday, our group does what we call a "spinning ride." It is about a 40 mile ride where we go at a non-strenuous pace. In that most are high cadence types to begin with, there is no particular change in cadence - just a change in ride philosophy and goal.
Old 06-15-05, 12:10 AM
Biking Belle

Bikes: GT Hybrid, Schwinn Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frodocious
At the moment I am working on increasing my cadence but when I get to 95-100rpm I start bouncing in the saddle, how do I go about stopping this bouncing and develop a smooth rhythm? Is it just through practice or are there any strategies for reducing bounce?

I would like some help with this too. As soon as I start to bounce, my coordination is really off, and I just go back to mashing in a high gear because it is more comfortable for me. My knees don't mind...yet...
Old 06-15-05, 12:43 AM
CyclePath

Bikes: 1980 Austro Daimler Vent Noir/Reynolds 531/Campy NR/NGS. 1983 Univega Super Strada/Tange Champion/Dura Ace AX. 1984 Raleigh Elkhorn MTB. 2002 EPX 303/CF/Ultegra/105. 2005 Motobecane Fly Pro/XT/LX HT. 2006 Scattante CFR LE DA 10.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To reduce "bouncing" at higher rpms, I'd recommend:

Lowering saddle height a little (slightly more bending of knees at bottom of pedal stroke); tinker with it until it feels natural.

Clipless pedals or toe clips+straps help a lot with the "dead spots" in one's pedaling.

Concentrate on applying power during the ENTIRE revolution of the cranks.....after a while one should almost feel like "floating" on top of the pedals, i.e. fast spinning with minimal upper body and hip movement.

Most importantly....RIDE LOTS!