Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone own a TCR Composite?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-05, 07:26 PM
cellblock 5150

Bikes: 05 Scott CR1 CF Team 05 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking at upgrading to the TCR 2 or 3 Composite but then reading another thread I seen this.

https://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?L...04&referpage=#

The TCR3 is in stock in the LBS, plus I get a fitting. Just wondering if anyone else owns this bike and can give me a review of it. Did a google search and found nothing.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 06-12-05, 07:38 PM
Coastal NC

Bikes: 2004 Trek 5200 w/ Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Scattante carbon looks sweeeet. I'd love to hear from those currently riding that bike.......especially racers.
Old 06-12-05, 07:40 PM
cellblock 5150

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats what I thought about the Scattante. Comparing apples to apples the TCR2C is 500 bones more. Plus the weight difference as the TCR2 weighted in at close to 19.5lbs at the LBS, the TCR3 was right over 20lbs

Giant TCR2C link:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030...sp?model=11162

Giant TCR3C link:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030...sp?model=11163

forgot to post those in the original thread.
Old 06-12-05, 07:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had my new TCR C3 for 2 weeks now. Moved up from a 12+ year-old Giant Kronos (that was also the wrong size), so this thing feels like a rocket ship (a correctly-sized rocket ship). I test road a number of other bikes, all of the aluminum main tube/CF fork, seat stay, seat post persuasion. These included the Felt 65 (which I liked alot), Trek 2300 and 1500s, a Specialized Allez, and a Bianchi (I forget the model). Compared to these, the TCR had a wonderful, quiet ride. It simply lacked the buzziness I felt in the aluminum bikes. When I got back from the test ride the first thing I told my wife was that it was, compared to the other bikes, "hushed". I've rode it some 120 miles since and increasingly love it. It feels stiff under power, yet has a reasonably forgiving ride. To me it does seem to handle a bit ponderously at slow speeds, but feels fine at speed. The component spec (105, mostly) didn't compare to the other bikes I looked at and it certainly doesn't measure up in this respect to the Scattante. It's a compact geomety bike, as you likely know, so you need to make sure it works for your body type. I go in tomorrow to the LBS to get my fitting completed, so hopefully that will tweak the last few things, but I feel pretty good on the size small frame (I'm 5'7'' and 130 pounds). I can't speak for the longevity of it, obviously, but I would definitely take a look if I were you. Finally, RoadBikeReview does have some reviews of the TCRs (but not the TCRC3).
Old 06-12-05, 11:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone please review the Scattante CF bikes? Is it on par with others like the Giant TCR, OCR? And is it on par with the others like felt's CF, Specialized and others?

Oh, how bout the devinci's ?
Old 06-13-05, 08:02 AM
cellblock 5150

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.roadbikereview.com/2003+R...0_4338crx.aspx

found this on reviews for the 04 models and some interesting reviews of Supergo and the typical BS from them. I don't know if its worth it, to go thru all that. Prob just buy from the LBS and buy a Giant TCR 3C or 2C.
Old 06-13-05, 09:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well according to those customer reviews those Scattante CF bikes seem to be a good deal. But usually on this site mail order bike department store like bikes are usually low quality junk. Can someone here clear this up for me? Other than swapping a few parts out buying one of the Scattantes would seem to be a bargain I might take advantage of.
How about a real review of them so I can get the inside info on whats going on. Cause they seem too good to be true. I wouldn't mind not having the prestige of a big name CF bike brand as long as I can get decent quality at a decent price. Why would I want to spend hundreds more for just a big name if that is the only difference?

Help? Raiyn? :|
Old 06-13-05, 10:03 AM
if x=byh then x+1=byn

Bikes: See signature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've owned a '04 Scattante CFR Limited Edition since March of last year. It came with full Dura Ace 9 speed group, except for the crankset which is a Weyless Carbon double. It also came with a FSA RD-400 wheelset and Vittoria Rubino Pro tires. I bought it at the SuperGo store in Mountain View, CA, not through the SG Web site. The staff was patient and professional and I received a proper fitting. The bike is super smooth, it has good stiffness, is quite light and a pleasure to ride. The geometry is closer the standard than compact which is what I prefer. On the flats and once you've reached cruising speed it seems to have cruise control.

The only problem I've had with it was completely handled to my satisfaction. I was having a carbon handlebars installed at the Performance store in Sacramento and the mechanic noticed the beginning of delaminating in the carbon steer tube of the stock fork. I called SG in Mountain View (125 miles from Sac.) and they had me send them the fork. They agreed it could be a future problem and they sent me an Easton EA90 SL as a replacement. This was a major upgrade. The Performance store in Sac. (part of the Performance, SuperGo, Nashbar group) installed it for me free of charge.

The current model comes with the Ultegra 10 speed, which I have on my Basso Coral. I think this would be a great combination. Crisp shifting and very smooth crankset.

Good luck whichever way you go.
'03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
'05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
'05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--..-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force
Old 06-14-05, 05:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crosscut mentioned that TCR2 weighs 19 1/5 lb and TCR2 goes a lil further. From what I see in the specs the difference lies in the gruppo, one comes w/ Ultegra, the other w/ 105.

I have come across with some "framesets" with various "names" (Giant seems to have different policies for different market regions... like Canon, and Pioneer, which have different "names" for their products, depending on where they are sold...) but the common feature to all composite frames is "weight". I have weighed some and could not tell one from another in such terms.

I am still seeking some source who would explain, in technical terms, the DIFFERENCE between the "frames" as in TCR2 or TCR3, appart from the simple "numbering" on it. Could it be, that the factory has a "weight control" and the frames which would come up a lil lighter (even if for a few grams) would be sent to the "TCR2" assembly line and the rest for the TCR3?

Would a few grams justify any difference in price, when we know that Giant has a very strict quality control and is known for their carbon technology... ?
Old 06-14-05, 06:15 PM
Back to being a Clyde....

Bikes: Giant OCR1(specialized carbon seatpost,Terry Fly sadle, Syntace C2): Leader TT frame, Easton EC70fork, Aerolite bars, nashbar bullhorn, Titan Wheels: Fuji Track Pro(2003)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The difference in numbers is soley based on components. They are the same frames in the range..That is the TCR 0,1,2,3 are the same, the TCR composite 1,2,3 are the same frame, etc.
Old 06-23-05, 04:07 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR C2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a TCR C2 about a month ago. It's actually my first road bike, so I may not be the best source. However, I have owned a few mountain bikes in the past and my first impressions tell me this is a very good bike. I've been riding almost non-stop since I bought it; it's very comfortable, I'm already quicker than most of the riders on the trail (American River Bike Trail in Sacramento) and the components are flawless (Ultegra is good enough for me). I paid about $1800 for mine, and I admit I don't know anything about the bike you posted. I'm not too sure about the SPD pedals, but at least Giant gives you pedals with the package.
Old 06-23-05, 05:20 PM

Bikes: 2010 Giant tcr advanced SL - 2016 Giant TCR advanced SL - 2014 Giant XTC 29er - 2019 Giant TCX cross

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've owned the TCR C3 since April.... comfortable ride, excellent handling stability is good at 40+. I'm 6'0 197 pounds and the bike holds me well. Frame weight alone is 2.09 pounds - very light carbon. The xero wheels display good durability just a little heavy. I'll most likely upgrade the wheels to Cane creek, Spinergy or Topolino's haven't decided yet. The TCR composite frames are all the same just different paint and components. I choose Giant carbon because of their backround and reputation with Carbon technology.
Old 06-23-05, 05:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have seen the Devinci CX bikes up close. They are built very well, for a Chinese made CF bike. As compared to other CF Taiwan made bikes like Scott, Giant...etc..

I am also considering a Guru CF frame. Drool...

Go Canada. (Whatever that means in today's globalized market...)

LOL...
Old 06-23-05, 05:45 PM
Lanterne Rouge

Bikes: Time VX Edge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No offense to any Giant owners...

When you pay +$1600 for a bike, you expect something good, correct?
With Giant, you get a great riding, value-oriented bike...

I went to my LBS to take a peek at them...
I looked at the weave on the top tubes [which I've been reading as a cosmetic thing] but the weave was all mucked up and mashed along the center seam of where the halves formed..
I'm sure that the frame's integrity is still rock-solid... but damn.. I really didn't care for the fact that the weave was messed... I'm superficial... shoot me...

-Peter
Old 06-23-05, 06:35 PM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I bought one today
Old 06-23-05, 07:44 PM
hilly roadie

Bikes: Giant TCR 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMHO, the Giant frames give you a very good deal in a lightweight and responsive carbon frame. I have a TCR C1 ($ 2,OOO in '04), and it suits me fine. And I think the cosmetics are sweet. BTW, the TCR C0 is a different frame than the C1 or C2. Go to Giant's site: they'll explain the difference. It's Dura-Ace, as well, so the difference is a lot of bread and a few ounces, basically (and a nicer wheelset).
Old 06-24-05, 03:33 AM
out walking the earth

I think you mean to say that the frames are the same. The diff. between the 0 & the 1 is about 1/2 a pound.
Old 06-24-05, 04:07 AM
hilly roadie

Bikes: Giant TCR 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I think you mean to say that the frames are the same. The diff. between the 0 & the 1 is about 1/2 a pound.
I stand corrected.
https://www.giantbicycles.com/us/035.....asp?range=222
Apparently, the Team and Advanced frames are slightly lighter and stiffer. That makes me think I got a very good deal on the C0, as the new C1s are around 4 grand.
Any thoughts on the pluses and minuses of compact geometry?
Old 06-24-05, 04:29 AM
out walking the earth

MSRP for the 0 (US) is $4,050. They can be had for less. I paid $3,300 for mine. My gram crunching seems to indicate that the advanced comes in at 150 grams less, with the same fork. It also comes with dura ace wheels, which also seem to be lighter. All told, it seems sweet is someone if giving it to you to race, but to drop the extra grand seems excessive for what you get.

I think the same can be said for the 0 & the 1. I went for the zero for a few trivial reasons: I liked the color better. I've always raced dura ace. I wanted the lightest bike I could afford. I went in with a budget, and wit the super secret discount the zero was within it.
Old 07-02-05, 10:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't TCR Composite 0 have the same frame as composite 1,2, and 3? And TCR advanced has a different frame? When I go and see the specs, TCR C 0,1,2, and 3, the frame is formulaone composite. For TCR Advanced, the frame is Advanced Y-800 grade Carbon Fiber. So, TCR Composite 0 has the same frame as composite 1,2, and 3?