Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Transporting ebike long distances

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 06:42 PM

Bikes: Trek Lift + 2018

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to transport my ebike when I travel South, from Vermont, on the Thule Hitch rack on back of my 2017 Honda CRV. I understand having the battery in the CRV along with the screen, along with lights. I was looking online and bought a cover that was supposed to allow tail lights to show. The CRV is not a super wide vehicle so that cover hid the lights and the license plate.
My quandary is when I hauled regular bikes I wrapped the chains, the brakes, the seat in clear plastic bags. I could still see the tail lights and license plate. Plus the trip is 1500 miles one way, at highway speeds of 65 or 70 the plastic wears away. I would appreciate anyone's experience with long distance bike hauling and recommendations for covering electrical parts.
The rack holds 2 bikes. Ideally I would like to see a tire cover for each tire, and then piecemeal the rest of the covers. If it can't be done with current technology that would be OK too. Short of duct taping the entire bike all ideas are welcome.
Thanks for any advice ahead of time.
Old 02-13-18, 09:40 PM
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Cling film..?
Old 02-14-18, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Buy a Dodge Caravan and put it in the van. I have several nice bikes----I will not travel more than just across town with them on a bike rack. A small covered trailer will pull really easy.

Good Luck.

I have a Cot in my Caravan so I can nap on trips and my bike or bikes (sometimes a folder and a Mountain bike in the van) are safe from thieves and the weather.

Good luck
Old 02-14-18, 06:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick Imby
Buy a Dodge Caravan and put it in the van. I have several nice bikes----I will not travel more than just across town with them on a bike rack. A small covered trailer will pull really easy.

Good Luck.

I have a Cot in my Caravan so I can nap on trips and my bike or bikes (sometimes a folder and a Mountain bike in the van) are safe from thieves and the weather.

Good luck
I forgot to mention the inside of CRV is chock full of art paraphernalia(My wife's) and our vacation clothes. The CRV gets 34 mpg on the highway. My last dodge was an Omni, after the door handles broke on all doors I kissed it goodbye, been driving Honda's ever since. My old 2011 CRV I used to kayaks on the roof and 2 regular bikes on the back. But snowplow carved off the driver side front so it was totaled. I do like the 4 wheel drive and road clearance, there are some places in Vermont you need to be high up to get into. When I get back home I will tour the Thule dealer and bike shops for their input too.
Old 02-15-18, 01:55 AM

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Last year we hauled our bikes 2700 miles on three trips. Platform trailer on a VW wagon. I covered the handlebar controls with plastic bags. Yes, they fray in the wind and disappear. I replaced them every morning. I didn't worry about water hitting the hub motor or mid motor.

You could buy a magnetic trailer lamp and put it on the roof to take care of the tail lights. As for the plates, unless a cop is profiling you, in which case you get stopped anyway, I never worried.

This year, I was going to haul the ebikes to Florida last month, but I rented a minivan the day before we left. My wife gets worried if I leave the bikes out at motels, and it was too cold for that. We left when it was -13F and our first stop in Tennessee was still below freezing. Nice to keep the bikes inside.
Old 02-15-18, 06:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DW to the rescue

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Last year we hauled our bikes 2700 miles on three trips. Platform trailer on a VW wagon. I covered the handlebar controls with plastic bags. Yes, they fray in the wind and disappear. I replaced them every morning. I didn't worry about water hitting the hub motor or mid motor.

You could buy a magnetic trailer lamp and put it on the roof to take care of the tail lights. As for the plates, unless a cop is profiling you, in which case you get stopped anyway, I never worried.

This year, I was going to haul the ebikes to Florida last month, but I rented a minivan the day before we left. My wife gets worried if I leave the bikes out at motels, and it was too cold for that. We left when it was -13F and our first stop in Tennessee was still below freezing. Nice to keep the bikes inside.
I hoped I would get your take on this. You always do what I consider to be sensible thinking. Now don't get too big a head. The magnetic trailer lamps on roof of SUV is wonderful. My wife wants a trailer for our kayaks, so this could work. I'm going to make the trailer folks happy and that allows to move some stuff onto trailer. Zooming down through New Jersey will be interesting. another life adventure, thanks.
Old 02-17-18, 02:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
forgot about backup camera

Its one thing to view backing with mirrors. Its another to get used to backup camera. Once I put the bikes on the image is fragments with bike frame and tires. I also don't have anyplace to put a trailer in my garage. the kayaks hang from ceiling, the bikes hand on the wall. garden tools hang on the rest of the wall space or there is shelving. If I sell the kayaks, that frees up 2 hangers for the bikes. then if I move shelving around. It's only a one car garage. I'm not getting any younger. maybe time for me to get rid of garden tools and kayaks, and 2nd car. Of course I have 3 bike racks and only 2 bikes to be concerned about. Trailers for long distances aren't cheap either. Since there are no bike friendly roads around where I live I'm going to think some more and get back with my questions.
Maybe I'll trade both cars for Honda Pilot and remove 3rd row of seats and mount bike racks inside. good Spring project.