Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Schwalbe Kojaks - wire bead vs kevlar

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-18, 01:13 PM

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

After test riding a Brompton with the kevlar bead Kojaks (the folding version), I know I like these tires. Both my "new" Bromptons have Schwalbe Marathons. I've been looking online to get a set of Kojacks, and here in the Netherlands/Europe I'm mostly seeing only the wire bead versions are available. I know the kevlar bead ones are significantly lighter, and significantly more expensive. Are they also more supple, or will they ride pretty much the same (aside from the slightly greater rotational weight of the wire beads)? Anyone have direct comparisons?
Old 04-07-18, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
They ride similar (have ridden both). The folding version of the Kojak in 349 is produced exclusively for Brompton, you can get them only via a Brompton dealer (but at least any Brompton dealer). They used to be freely available and sold by generic bike dealers for a short time only and this was years ago.
Same thing btw. for the Marathon Racer in 349, that just got invented as the new Brompton factory standard tire, as far as I know.

I am riding the non folding version of the Kojak for price reasons but carry a folding one with me as a spare tire on longer trips.
Old 04-07-18, 03:05 PM

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by berlinonaut
They ride similar (have ridden both). The folding version of the Kojak in 349 is produced exclusively for Brompton, you can get them only via a Brompton dealer (but at least any Brompton dealer). They used to be freely available and sold by generic bike dealers for a short time only and this was years ago.
Same thing btw. for the Marathon Racer in 349, that just got invented as the new Brompton factory standard tire, as far as I know.

I am riding the non folding version of the Kojak for price reasons but carry a folding one with me as a spare tire on longer trips.
Sounds like a good solution. Thank you for the info, and that makes sense for why the folding version doesn't show up on general bike websites..
Old 04-07-18, 07:27 PM

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Kojaks, folding or wire, are quite decent. Their Achilles Heel is their rather thin sidewalls.
Old 04-08-18, 03:53 PM
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I've used 349 wire bead Kojaks; they roll similar to it's folding counterpart:
As was already mentioned, folding Kojaks area bit lighter. Other than that; I can't tell any difference:
You may also want to consider Primo Comets: