Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon GB-1 folding gravel bike (650B/27.5")

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-18, 03:04 PM
rec

Bikes: allez, p21, raleigh sscx, rockhopper, sycip, centurion

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Drop bars, disc brakes, full size wheels, not bad!

Going to be announced at Sea Otter, available Fall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gb1a.jpg (87.4 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg
gb1b.jpg (85.7 KB, 301 views)
Old 04-10-18, 05:02 PM
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 592 Posts
Old 04-11-18, 12:55 PM

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Good find; that thing is pretty cool. I love fat tires and disc brakes. I'm curious if the geometry is similar to other gravel bikes, but seems too new to find info on.
Old 04-11-18, 01:41 PM

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Seems weird having front and rear shifters but only the rear shifter is used. Better to have a single dedicated rear shifter I would of thought and standard brake levers. Nice looking bike though.
Old 04-11-18, 03:26 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Likely cheaper to just buy the pair, as is. once its in your house you can see what you might get when you sell the left lever on its own.
Old 04-11-18, 11:36 PM

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Old wine in a new fad bottle

this bike is essentially a Cadenza, offered by Dahon for about a decade now, with drop bars and 650b tires, seeking shamelessly to jump on the 'gravel bike' and 27.5"-wheel bandwagons. nothing new here.
Old 04-12-18, 12:05 AM

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Likely cheaper to just buy the pair, as is. once its in your house you can see what you might get when you sell the left lever on its own.
The shifter is integrated into the brake lever so you would have to buy new brake levers to replace the existing dual shifter/brake levers. Other bikes without a front derailleur go for a single shifter. Maybe something like below. This seems more elegant and functional to me as you don't end up with a unused shifter mechanism. Alternatively fitting a front derailleur and double chainset would also be an option if possible. I'm probably being overly fussy/anal but don't like buttons and levers that don't do anything.

Old 04-12-18, 01:09 AM

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
this bike is essentially a Cadenza, offered by Dahon for about a decade now, with drop bars and 650b tires, seeking shamelessly to jump on the 'gravel bike' and 27.5"-wheel bandwagons. nothing new here.
Is there nothing new here, or is it a Cadenza updated to dropbars and 27.5 wheels? That sounds like a new model to me.
Old 04-12-18, 01:14 AM

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

takes very little to impress you, it seems. wow, what a heck of a factory upgrade! it's not like no Cadenza owner could not have done that themselves a decade ago. Say I slap drop bars and 451 wheels (ISO584/27.5" is closer to ISO559/26" than ISO451 is to ISO406) on my Dash, is it a new model? No, it's a Dash with 451 wheels and dropbars. Swap the Birdy's 355 wheels for 406 (a bigger jump than 559 to 584), is it still a Birdy? Yes. Same thing here.

Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Is there nothing new here, or is it a Cadenza updated to dropbars and 27.5 wheels? That sounds like a new model to me.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 04-12-18 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-12-18, 08:06 AM

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

takes very little to impress you, it seems. wow, what a heck of a factory upgrade! it's not like no Cadenza owner could not have done that themselves a decade ago. Say I slap drop bars and 451 wheels (ISO584/27.5" is closer to ISO559/26" than ISO451 is to ISO406) on my Dash, is it a new model? No, it's a Dash with 451 wheels and dropbars. Swap the Birdy's 355 wheels for 406 (a bigger jump than 559 to 584), is it still a Birdy? Yes. Same thing here.
Yes, that's how new models of existing designs work. I don't think anybody is trying to pass this off as a major leap forward in technology, it's just a full-size Dahon outfitted for a type of riding some people like to do. I really don't see the point in coming to a thread to complain they didn't offer a whole new frame to accomplish the same thing.
Old 04-12-18, 01:13 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
this bike is essentially a Cadenza, offered by Dahon for about a decade now, with drop bars and 650b tires...
...and D4D handlebar stem.
Old 04-12-18, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by tcs
Yeah, but they're repurposing an existing frame design so it sucks. Don't buy one.
Old 04-12-18, 01:27 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Yeah, but they're repurposing an existing frame design so it sucks.

Dahon is offering a new design frame in the just announced NuWave family of bikes to serve the needs of a different segment of the humans of the world and according to some of the posters on Folding Bikes, that sucks, too.

Old 04-12-18, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by tcs
Not exactly new either. It's been around for a few years, and before that, there was the Dahon NVO stem that offers the same functionality. I should know; I've now owned one for four years...

Look, there is nothing ostensibly wrong or bad with this new Cadenza. As one of the very, very few active users on this forum who actually owns and uses a LockJaw hinge bike, I've considered getting a Cadenza. It's just that you are getting hoodwinked if you think this bike is something more than a souped-up Cadenza.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 04-12-18 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-12-18, 04:53 PM

Look, there is nothing ostensibly wrong or bad with this new Cadenza. As one of the very, very few active users on this forum who actually owns and uses a LockJaw hinge bike, I've considered getting a Cadenza. It's just that you are getting hoodwinked if you think this bike is something more than a souped-up Cadenza.
Look, you're the only one who even brought up that it was anything more. The OP mentioned 27.5 wheels, dropbars and discs, which is a legit new combination to be excited about in a folder. You found a problem that isn't there, then complained about it. I don't understand the point of this.
Old 05-03-18, 08:41 PM

I stand corrected.

This from Th0r on the new bike...

there is s much different on this frame its not even close. First the frame is hydroformed and much stronger to keep up with the natur of adventure gravel touring. 2 width for tire clearance up to 42 mm wide tires. Different angles to keep you in control during sketchy parts. The Lockjaw is very different as well, stronger and not dependent on a cam. The flatpack adjustable stem of course. Bottom bracket clearance is optimized. I am probably forgetting some stuff even. And again this is a proto and will receive small changes for production, like more attachment point for carrier and fenders.Not to forget that it will get a whole slew of other components to make it usefull for the intended use.
Old 11-07-18, 08:50 PM
rec

Bikes: allez, p21, raleigh sscx, rockhopper, sycip, centurion

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another prototype of the GB-1. Lots of changes since the introduction at Sea Otter:

-thru axles
-more traditional looking stem
-no more little reinforcing seat tube strut

Really hope the listed weight (20kg) is a mistake.

https://bikerumor.com/2018/11/05/dah...in-production/
Old 11-27-18, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Will it arrive in the US soon? It looks much better in real life