Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

The Suburbs

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

The Suburbs

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-05, 12:55 PM
dc pirate, 4evah.

Bikes: several. blue. fun.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Suburbs

I'm bike-only but I live and work in the city, so it's fairly easy.

I've lived in this town for 6 years, though, and there are still suburbs I've never seen/heard of. It's kind of odd since several of my coworkers drive in from just these suburbs every day, and look at me like I'm crazy when I say things like "where's linthicum?"

Anyway, now a coworker has invited me to an event at her house, a good 40 mi from here. I'm willing to ride it, but I get this terrible chill through my spine any time I ride outside the beltway, and I don't really trust suburban drivers-- they don't know how to deal with us.

Any of you all suburbanites? How do you do it? Tips?
Old 06-15-05, 01:02 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can see if you're going 40 miles in suburban Virginia, the roads are narrow, crooked, and twisted that's a true pain. Man, i'm not sure I'd do it.

Here it's flat, roads are straight, so as long as you have a bike lane, shoulder, or wide outside lane you generally do OK.

You just gotta have really bright clothing, rear blinky even during the day, mirror, and pull over once in a while to let traffic pass you.
Old 06-15-05, 01:15 PM
H23

Bikes: bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Linthicum is where the BWI airport is. If you look at the bikewashington website, there is a nice cue sheet for DC-Baltimore. It goes past the airport by running partly on the BWI paved trail.

Its actually not bad at all. The roads on the cue sheet are pretty sedate. I especially like race road.