Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cars and rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-02, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cars and rain

It seems that whenever I'm riding my bike after the rain at least a few cars riding by purposely swerve into any available puddle to splash me. I was just wondering if anyone else has this happen to them? It gets really pisses me off. Thanks for listening, it feels good to fume to someone.

~Mike
Old 07-10-02, 09:53 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Well, we've had no rain of any description since May 6 over here, but yes, in the past (i.e. before the drought) when it has rained here they've done it and I honestly don't know why. To be honest they make more of a mess of their own car than they do of me (in case you didn't know, I prefer it to rain when I ride), so it's totally pointless really.

That is all.
Old 07-11-02, 12:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had it happen to me while walking. One idiot almost hit me.
Old 07-11-02, 01:05 PM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally posted by krazEkenzo
I was just wondering if anyone else has this happen to them?
Nearly EVERY time. People like that are the primary reason I DON'T pack a gun. I would, without doubt, end up in jail.

Old 07-11-02, 01:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well at least i'm not the only one.
Speaking of rude drivers.....anyone ever throw a cup of soda at you? Some young kids did that to me once,(not that i'm that old or anything). It just amazes me how rude people can be. Of course I live in Philly, this is not the greatest city for biking.
~Mike

Old 07-11-02, 02:16 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
When I ride home from work after it rains, it seems I get splashed only when I'm on the neighborhood streets.
When I'm on a main road (faster traffic) the cars move over so they won't splash me.
Can't figure that one out?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-11-02, 02:50 PM
The Female Enduro

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm...that's weird. I don't think I've ever had a car swerve into a puddle just to splash me. I mean, I get the spray from a car, but nothing is done on purpose. I guess that's a good thing!
Old 07-12-02, 10:15 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know about "on purpose," but these cagers sure are dull when it comes to life-forms that exist outside the steel-and-glass cage.

I remember crouching with my huge umbrella as a shield while walking by a 25 ft. puddle. It worked, but I don't carry one on my bike.

Another time (chalk it up to my own stupidity) I got some oily water in my mouth. Yuck.

(All this was as a pedestrian--the lowest order of the food chain.)
Old 07-12-02, 10:27 PM
NOT a weight weenie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has happened to me. However they did not like the big dent I put in their door with my foot when I caught them at the next light.
Old 07-12-02, 10:44 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally posted by Hunter
It has happened to me. However they did not like the big dent I put in their door with my foot when I caught them at the next light.
I'm not sure that would be a recommended course of action around here. To most car-driving rednecks, that would justify the death penalty.

That is all.
Old 07-15-02, 09:37 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I make it a policy to never attribute to malice what might be the result of stupidity or carelessness.

It would be quite a neat trick for a motorist to pass a cyclist and hit a puddle next to the cyclist just at the right instant. The motorist would have to take into account their speed, the cyclists speed and the distance to the puddle. I don't think that any motorist can do that with any degree of success.

Try it sometime. Get a friend to ride a bike and see if you can splash him from a target puddle with you car. I bet that most of the time, you can't do it. You could even simulate a puddle by putting a target on the road that will make an audible sound when you run over it.

When it is raining, I get splashed at times when motorists happen to drive through puddles near me. I recall this happened to a friend of mine and I when we were riding on a wet day and a truck went through a nearby puddle and doused us. So what? We were already soaked.

Look, if you ride a bike on a rainy day or on wet roads, chances are you are going to get wet.

Don't get me wrong, I resent motorist's antics as much as the next guy. But on this one, I would be inclined to give them a pass.
Old 07-15-02, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never happened to me. Sure, I have been the victim of serious splashes from time to time, but there was no way for any of the involved parties to avoid it due to road narrowing, random puddling, etc.
Old 07-15-02, 10:14 AM
riding a Pinarello Prince

Bikes: Pinarello, Prince and an FP5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well it never happen to me, coz, before I go for my ride I look at the weather TV station if there a chance of rain or high percentage that its ganna rain, bye bye ride, on to the rollers,, and if ia m already out and it starts to rain I seek cover, my bike has never tasted any rain, he is a rookie on rain....
Old 07-15-02, 01:27 PM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally posted by krazEkenzo
Speaking of rude drivers.....anyone ever throw a cup of soda at you?
I've had an entire can of soda thrown @ our group of 3 riders. Why? Only the yahoo in the pickup knows for sure.
Old 07-15-02, 01:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only incident I can think of was when I was zooming down a local ride with a bike lane. Smooth, straight road. Minding my own business.

Then some young girls pull aside and smack me in the rear and yell something. Didn't hurt or anything but scared the heck out of me. (I didn't hear them ... it was a windy day.)

Of course, being the 40-year-old man, I have wondered what they said ever since. And although in reality it was something like "Hey, fat-@ss, get your old @ss off the road", I always replay it in my mind along the lines of: "Gee, I wish my (18-year-old) boyfriend had a butt like yours. You busy tonight?"

Old 07-15-02, 01:41 PM
Fool O' crap

Bikes: Are faster than yours.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
About three weeks ago a SUV passed me going the other way and threw a large water balloon at me. It hit my front wheel, but did not burst; I was just shy of becoming one with the pavement. I flipped a u-turn and gave it all I had – caught them about a mile later at a light. I about jumped in the passenger window – found out that there were four in the car – the oldest wasn’t even 15. I was so irate and yelling so loud that the kid in the passenger seat started crying. I’m glad about the turnout, those kids probably wont do that again, however, I consider myself lucky that the SUV didn’t have 4 200# rednecks in it (insert Deliverance music here).
Joe
Old 07-15-02, 05:15 PM
riding a Pinarello Prince

Bikes: Pinarello, Prince and an FP5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Andy Dreisch
, I wish my (18-year-old) boyfriend had a butt like yours. You busy tonight?"

dreams are free he he he he :cool: :cool: