Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Riding in the UK.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Riding in the UK.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-02, 07:21 AM
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding in the UK.

Guys, this I think only has value to the UK guys. Some of the local bike magazines show route maps of various riding trails around the country. I'm in the south east, Crawley/Gatwick so I'm probably a little restricted where I can ride. If I take a typical OS map can I see what tracks I can ride on? They seem to have odd bye-laws in the UK, as you can ride in some places, not in others. There are some nice tracks that cross over some local forests but if a track appears on a map, does that mean I can ride on it, or must I get permission? Any advice on this is appreciated.
Old 07-11-02, 07:42 AM
Donating member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not straightforward...

You can ride bridleways but not footpaths, but the O.S. map is not a definitive map which means that even if it shows the prescence or absense of a right of way, it's not legally binding... however 99% of the time if you stick to bridleways shown on the O.S. map you should be okay.

You also have a right of way on normal highways, and certain other byways - 'green lanes', county constructed roads etc. see:

https://www.highwayman.demon.co.uk/bandbt.html

Forest tracks not clearly marked by the landowner as a permitted right of way for bikes should be avoided - note: in some areas the Forestry Commision permit cycling.

Your local council should have a rights of way officer who'll be able to give specific advise.
Old 07-12-02, 02:12 AM
It's the fight in the man

Bikes: Pace RC200 F2 (British Built!)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Bokkie!

I'm over Tonbridge way, not too far from you but generally try to stick to Bridlepaths that are marked out...I must get into the habit of map reading...I'm sure there's mile and miles of cycling paths I'm missing out on!

Rich
Old 07-12-02, 02:18 AM
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tonbridge, not too sure where that is. Is it Tonbridge Wells by another name? Either way, you seem to be close-ish to Ashdowne Forest (Winnie the Pooh country)? Have you ridden there? The OS map suggests it is quite a nice place, criss-crossed with tracks so it has potential?
Old 07-16-02, 04:05 AM
It's the fight in the man

Bikes: Pace RC200 F2 (British Built!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi mate,

Tonbridge is just north of Tunbridge Wells. I haven't ridden in Ashdown Forest, but have heard it's gorgeous.There's a place just north of Sevenoaks called Trosley County Park, which has some great rides in it!

Cheers.............Rich
Old 07-17-02, 02:42 AM
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Rich. I found Tonbridge on the map and I'm not too far from Sevenoaks. I've studied the Landranger OS map of Ashdowne Forest, and I can't wait to get started. The South Downs Way is a 140km or so bridleway so it looks like it's the closest you'll get to a 'freeway'. All I need now is the darned bike. I've place an order for the Cannondale Gemini 1000, and I hope to get it in the next two weeks or so. Think I need a towbar fitted to the car so I can use a secure cycle mount. I never did fully trust those strap-on racks. The wife is also keen to get going. Yummee!
Old 07-17-02, 08:32 AM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Bokkie,

Give a report on the Gemini after you've done some a couple of rides. I'm seriously considering the 2000, but wanted some other opinions other than what the rep is saying.

Oh yeah, have fun and take some pics for us!

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 07-17-02, 08:40 AM
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I shall bear that in mind. From what I see and read, there isn't such a big difference going from the 1000 to 2000? I recall it using lighter components to some degree. As it is, I think the 1000 in black looks really nice. My only problem though is that Cannondale spray paint rather than powder baking so the Cannondale might be more susceptible to scratches. When I get the bike, I'll know soon enough if my £2200 'investment' is what I expect. The little test ride I had on it convinced me I should have switched to mtb a long time ago. It was a super smooth experience but I guess that's part of the mtb patch.
Old 07-17-02, 08:54 AM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will attest to the paint quality of Cannondales. Between my wife and I we have 3 Cannondale bikes. Their paint (and everything else) is top notch! No, it's not powder coated, but it's very well applied and very durable!

As far as the difference b/t the 1000 and the 2000 is mostly the forks and the shifters I believe! Oh yeah the color too! I'm a sucker for the RED!

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger