Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Did the Du!

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Did the Du!

Old 06-19-05, 12:23 PM

Bikes: '73 Schwinn Varsity, 1964 Schwinn Racer, 1954 Schwinn Jaguar, 1950's Puch Bergmeister, 1980 Schwinn High Plains, 1973 Flandria, 1980's Diamondback Sorrento, 2001 Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did the Du!

My first duathlon was Saturday, and I am proud to announce I finished...and placed third in my age group! It was gruelling but well worth the effort. Remind me to practice harder bricks before the next one.

The 3k run was almost easy, as I paced myself slowly as recommended here to save some energy for the bike and last run leg. I came out of T1 in great shape, amazed at how little confusion there is when there's only three or four bikes in it when you show up! I mounted my trusty 30 year old steel steed that weighs almost as much as I do. I joined up with a group almost immediately, and as my ears were pounding from exertion I kept overhearing the crowd yell what I thought was "F*ing Professional!" I felt great, them calling me a Pro! But then I finally made out the words and it was "Funeral Procession!" I immediately passed the hearse and finally made it up with another group, this one consisting of a herd of snails and slugs being pursued by a three toed sloth. I had trouble keeping up with them, but endured. It was hot and I was used to training in much cooler conditions. The heat ate at my legs, and as I somehow had a headwind the entire bike leg, I had little chance to rest my legs before T2.

Starting the last 5K run was excruciating! While I had trained bricks prior to the race, nothing had prepared me for the 1/2 mile uphill coming out of T2. My legs screamed and I found myself dropping my speed until a herd of snails and a sloth passed me on my left! I ran for what seemed like hours before I noticed a sign coming up in the borrow pit..."MILE 1" it said. I felt like I had put in 15 at that point. Right about then I had the extreme pleasure of being passed by a nubile young lady in spandex and a white top who seemed to brighten the scenery considerable! I thought I'd pace behind her just for the view and to take my mind off my burning muscles. BAD IDEA...she was part jack-rabbit and left me in the dust within 1/4 mile and I developed the worse side ache I've had in 50 years! I hadn't had one bad side stitch the entire time training, but this one more than made up for it. A stilletto in the guts would have felt better. But on I ran...the water stop at the 1/2 way point had water cups with algae growing in them it'd been so long since anyone had been thru. The loop headed back towards the starting point which appeared to be at least 4 light years from where I was. On I slogged, leadened legs threatening to seize up at any moment. Baby birds hatched, feathered out, and learned to fly as I ran by. The sun beat down mercilessly as I rounded a corner and spotted the finish line. I crossed it in just under two hours and am still beaming proudly from the accomplishment! I feel like I've been drug backwards thru a knothole this morning, but it's still the best I've felt in years.

I'm already thinking about my next one, but am seriously considering trading in the old bike on something a little more agile. And maybe getting some spandex shorts and a white top!!!
Old 06-19-05, 12:37 PM
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your career as a duathlete does work out, I think you have quite a talent as a writer of humor. that's for the play by play.
Old 06-19-05, 08:01 PM

Bikes: 15 yr old 30 pound NISHIKI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was great... Thanks for putting the time into it....
Old 06-21-05, 03:21 PM
One day at a time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent description. Thanks for that!
Old 06-22-05, 08:36 AM
TriBob

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Nice race and great report.

Old 06-22-05, 09:03 AM
I get high on lactic acid

Bikes: 2003 Cervelo P3/2003 Trek 2000/2005 Norco EXC 2.0ht

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HAHAHA, love it. Good job, I always find as the race season goes on, i get faster, I fall into my grove, and by the end of the season, you will be keeping up with the eye candy.