Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Blackspire vs. e.13 (gastro?)

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 06-22-05, 10:58 PM
Lost in the Black Hills

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking at the Blackspire NS-1 and e.thirteen STS chainguides and wanted some of your opinions. Initially I liked the e.13, but the more I looked at pictures online I kind of like the Blackspire. Are these both about equally good? The fact that the bashring part of the e.13 might be better does not concern me too much. I will not be going too extreme. Another thing I liked about the Blackspire is its a little cheaper and comes with a chain ring.

1) I am confused...both of these units have a single chain ring upfront, but can I still use a handful of the rear cogs? Are they meant for single-speed only bikes?

2) According to my bike listed below, could one of you point me in the right direction for which Park tool I will need to mount either of these chainguides to my BB. I was starting to get confused on what I have. Maybe one of you who have been doing this for awhile are familiar with what was most likely on my mid 90's bike.

3) regarding sizing: I know I have a 5B pattern...but where is the other BCD measurement? Looks like it should be either 94 or 110 but I cannot figure out where exactly that is. I at least assume millimeters. I didn't have a metric ruler handy so I took quick standard measurements. Bolts are at 2" from center crank and 2.25" from an adjacent bolt. Or is it measured in a criss cross fashion...in which case I think I have the 94mm.
Old 06-22-05, 11:16 PM
What?

Bikes: Bianchi Brava(retired), Surly Instigator(retired)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone here, who does serious riding, is going to advise the e.13. It's a prove system and is worth the extra money.

1) Yes you can run 1 up front and 8 out back. I will get around to doing it one of these days. Completely safe idea.

2) I'm not sure on, Raiyn will pop in for this one.

3) Again, I don't know I think BCD is measured by measuring from bolt circle to bolt circle. Again, Raiyn will asset here.

I think you got a pretty good idea going here and it will give the bike a much cleaner look. Good luck.
Old 06-22-05, 11:34 PM
New to bikeforùms.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mx_599
I am looking at the Blackspire NS-1 and e.thirteen STS chainguides and wanted some of your opinions. Initially I liked the e.13, but the more I looked at pictures online I kind of like the Blackspire. Are these both about equally good? The fact that the bashring part of the e.13 might be better does not concern me too much. I will not be going too extreme. Another thing I liked about the Blackspire is its a little cheaper and comes with a chain ring.

1) I am confused...both of these units have a single chain ring upfront, but can I still use a handful of the rear cogs? Are they meant for single-speed only bikes?

2) According to my bike listed below, could one of you point me in the right direction for which Park tool I will need to mount either of these chainguides to my BB. I was starting to get confused on what I have. Maybe one of you who have been doing this for awhile are familiar with what was most likely on my mid 90's bike.

3) regarding sizing: I know I have a 5B pattern...but where is the other BCD measurement? Looks like it should be either 94 or 110 but I cannot figure out where exactly that is. I at least assume millimeters. I didn't have a metric ruler handy so I took quick standard measurements. Bolts are at 2" from center crank and 2.25" from an adjacent bolt. Or is it measured in a criss cross fashion...in which case I think I have the 94mm.
1) Yes, no.
2) BBT-2
3) << This is 110, if its smaller than that then its 94.

And whats with all this raiyn stuff? He don't know what he's talkin about....
Old 06-22-05, 11:40 PM
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KleinMp99
1) Yes, no.
2) BBT-2
3) << This is 110, if its smaller than that then its 94.

And whats with all this raiyn stuff? He don't know what he's talkin about....
thanks for the help you two.

But how can I tell from the picture you posted? I still need to measure something specific on my bike I would think.
Old 06-22-05, 11:56 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

1. Yes it's fine
  2. https://www.parktool.com/tools/BBT_2.shtml Provided everything is stock this is what you need
  3. Best explaination of BCD I can give you in 30 seconds or less https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html It's a touch more than just measuring the distance between the circles
Old 06-23-05, 12:02 AM
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
  1. Yes it's fine
  2. https://www.parktool.com/tools/BBT_2.shtml Provided everything is stock this is what you need
  3. Best explaination of BCD I can give you in 30 seconds or less https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html It's a touch more than just measuring the distance between the circles
Thanks...that should be what I need. Raiyn, I have seen you recommend the e.13...but what do you think of the Blackspire?
thanks
Old 06-23-05, 12:21 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks...that should be what I need. Raiyn, I have seen you recommend the e.13...but what do you think of the Blackspire?
thanks
From what I hear, it's a decent system. However I know for a fact that the e-13 can be mounted to bikes that don't have the ISCG mounts whereas I'm not sure on the Blackspire, and can't find out at this time. I'm good, but I don't have all the answers

Last edited by Raiyn; 06-23-05 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-23-05, 12:39 AM
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
From what I hear, it's a decent system. However I know for a fact that the e-13 can be mounted to bikes that don't have the ICG mounts whereas I'm not sure on the Blackspire, and can't find out at this time. I'm good, but I don't have all the answers
Raiyn, do the comments on these two links lead you to believe it will hook up to my BB? Oh...by the way I have a 94mm. Thanks for the formula

https://www.blackspire.com/prod_cguide.html
https://www.bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?ID=BK5101
Old 06-23-05, 12:49 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Raiyn, do the comments on these two links lead you to believe it will hook up to my BB? Oh...by the way I have a 94mm. Thanks for the formula
I saw the blackspire page and the other link isn't much help either
I'd prefer to have an installation guide - which is what I looked for.
Check this out:
https://www.e13components.com/docs/SRS_setup_instruc.pdf
It's possible that they have a similar method of mounting, however I'm not as familiar with it and tech support is closed at present.
Old 06-23-05, 06:38 AM
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BlackSpire make a hell-a-tuff guide and bash ring but they are heavy, real heavy. I have been running BS for 3 years now but my new rig will have the E-13. Both are great and do the job.

The E-13 looks like it is made only for a bike with ISCG mounts which means that the inner plate may move around on your bike. If they give you an adapeter to mount it then it would be fine.

Look up the manufacturer of your cranks and you should be able to find out if you have 110 or 94.

With a single ring up front you can still use all of your gears in back since you will have a guide on. You may get a bit of an angle in the chain line but it will work. Just use the outer most cogs when you need to rather then all the time.

Old 06-23-05, 08:17 AM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtbikedude
BlackSpire make a hell-a-tuff guide and bash ring but they are heavy, real heavy. I have been running BS for 3 years now but my new rig will have the E-13. Both are great and do the job.

The E-13 looks like it is made only for a bike with ISCG mounts which means that the inner plate may move around on your bike. If they give you an adapeter to mount it then it would be fine.

Look up the manufacturer of your cranks and you should be able to find out if you have 110 or 94.

With a single ring up front you can still use all of your gears in back since you will have a guide on. You may get a bit of an angle in the chain line but it will work. Just use the outer most cogs when you need to rather then all the time.

They come with an adapter.
Old 06-23-05, 08:28 AM
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtbikedude

From the pictures it seems as though the BS would allow more lateral chain movement on the bottom roller than the mini-cog shaped roller of the e.13 compensating for greater chain angles. Is this the case? or not really?
Old 06-23-05, 08:29 AM
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One more data point - e.13 has some of the best customer service out there. Just email them with any questions.