Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Frame Pump

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bicycle Frame Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-05, 11:29 AM
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bicycle Frame Pump

Man that sucks! I broke my frame pump! I've had my MT Zefal for a looooooong time. Of course, when I went to my LBS just a while ago to get another one, he just smiled and pointed to the shelf of mulitudes of mini pumps. Do those things work? Where's the rest of it?

Ok, if you have a pump (mini or frame) that you have an opinion on, I'm listening. I really don't like to ride without one. I've tried the CO2. It works ok, but I need to know it will be there when I'm in the middle of BFE.

I have a couple of 200-300 mi rides and an 800 mi ride coming up this summer. My MT Zefal was sure faithful. I'm bumming.
Old 06-24-05, 12:06 PM

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
I use a topeak Road morph and I am pretty happy with it. Other wise I would shop the internet and get another Zefal
Old 06-24-05, 05:51 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Topeak mini pumponce on my MTB by the time I ever got enough air in the tire to inflate it I was too tired to ride.
I have a Zefal HPX on all my bikes. There is something weird with Zefal's distribution here in the USA that pisses off LBS's so many of them won't sell Zefal products or Christophe toe clips! google zefal pumps and you will find a few online sources for them
Old 06-24-05, 07:16 PM
'Mizer Cats are INSANE

Bikes: C-dale T800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Topeak Morph. It's the only one that I swear by, not at. I'm just as likely to grab that as find what corner my floor pump is hiding in when I need to air up before a ride.

Steve
Old 06-24-05, 08:13 PM
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Topeak Road Morph here as well. I wouldn't use anything else.
Old 06-25-05, 08:12 AM
I am not a car

Bikes: Giant Revel 1, Surly Ogre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't have a Topeak, but I agree with the others: get a mini pump with a folding floor peg and hose. I have a Delta Jet I got on the cheap from Nashbar and have used in many times (too many!).
Old 06-25-05, 09:17 AM

Bikes: 2004 Raliegh Retro Glide 7(green of course), 2005 Stingray Pea Picker 2005 Specialized Hardrock 2014 Trek Crossfit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Topeak Turbo Morph w/ digital gauge. Love it!
Old 06-25-05, 09:22 AM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I have both Road morphs and Zefal HPx and usually bring the Zefal. If you want a framefit pump, this is the best way to go. Topeak frame pumps are lame and Topeaks QC doesn't seem as good.

I was waffling on a new pump for a new bike this spring, bought a Roadmorph (and promptly returned it) because it leaked at the hose fittings the first time I used it. I have an older roadmorph that works fine, but the bracket isn't the best and if you want to switch it between bikes easily you need extra brackets. I think the hose and foot peg are gimmicky and overrated, it's not that tough to use a pump on a bike tire!

Buy a new Zefal HPx if you like framefit, plus it's got the high volume/ high pressure deal that makes getting the last 20 PSI in all that much easier.
Old 06-25-05, 09:24 AM
loves living in the city.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mentor58
Topeak Morph. It's the only one that I swear by, not at. I'm just as likely to grab that as find what corner my floor pump is hiding in when I need to air up before a ride.

Steve
This is a great pump, it has a sturdy rubber hose, you can get 110 psi with a little work, and mine hasn't failed in the three years I've owned it.
Old 06-25-05, 02:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a Road Morph too, i have the model with a presure gauge... I really love it and it never failed me.
Old 06-25-05, 06:18 PM
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
I can attest to the value in the Zefal HPx since I've own two of them that I bought over 12 years ago. I suppose the fact that I've never replaced them speaks volumes. I also like that they don't look like anything worth taking.

There have been many HPx vs. pump X comparisons over the years. Everyone always talks about how easy it is to hit high pressures with the HPx. I can't speak for those I haven't tried. Hopefully I'll never need another. That would be a bargain!

An excellent source if they have them
There's even rebuild kits.

Cheers,

Ron
Wasatch Mountain Range, Utah
Old 06-26-05, 09:00 AM
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zefal hpx every time - bombproof and as small or large as you need.
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 06-26-05, 02:09 PM

Bikes: Cyclocross, Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my previous experience with frame pumps was limited to the older Silca's. anyone who has used these knows that they don't last. i have a drawer full of bent and broken ones. my new bike came with a Zefal Hpx and I couldn't be more pleased. i haven't tried any others, and don't see any need to since this one works so well.