Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

much respect

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

much respect

Old 07-14-02, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
much respect

Man....what can I say?

Well here goes, If any of you guys saw my previous post then you know that I just got a bike after probally 15 years, and heres a little backround on my self...I am 6"4 about 280lbs and as of a few days ago I knew I was out of shape, but now a few days and several miles after purchasing my bike I can say I AM WAY OUTTA SHAPE

I rode on road and down a few trails, bike is holding up well, I am not. Arms and legs feal like foriegn parts of my body. All I can say is you guys that bike daily have my respect. If this sounds like my good bye you are wrong, I think that I have found the perfect way to get into shape.

I found myself trying to get up the hill and really getting ticked that it was so hard, and I had let my self get so out of shape. But I didnt give up, drop a few gears, endure the mass burning and get my lard *** up the hill

So the point to all this is once again, you guys that do this daily nice work, and I am on my way to doing it as well.
Old 07-14-02, 07:01 PM
Career Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FLASHBACK ABOUT 5 YEARS -

Ditto

FASTFORWARD TO TODAY -

That was the hill that used to kick my butt? HAHAHAHA!

You go man, and let nobody and no thing stand in your way. :thumbup:
2003 Iceman Challenge - 2:34:55 - 897 / 2,000*
2002 Iceman Challenge - 2:39:23 - 1093 / 2,186
2000 Iceman Challenge - 2:49:18 - 1516 / 2,153
*estimated
Old 07-14-02, 09:47 PM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Being 6'5 and still 260 (down from 270) I understand your pain. At on point in life I was 300pnds. Now though I am far leaner with huge legs. But anyways to my recommendations.

1 - listen to your body. HOWEVER because you haven't ridden in years you could take this too far.Aches in the muscle are usually a good thing aches in joints (especially knees) aren't good and usually require some rest and ice AS WELL as movement. Meaning stretch the joints.

2 - Stretch. You are big. Bulky. Your muscles probably aren't used to exercise. Stretch them and warm them up. This will save much pain later.

3 - build muscle by working the sub groups that aren't as prominent in biking. Shoulder, arms (biceps and triceps), back (ESPECIALLY if trying mountain biking). But don't overdue it

4 - Enjoy riding. As long as you enjoy it keep it up. If you find yourself resenting the activity take a week off.

Other than those tips this is a great sport in all aspects. I personally mountain bike and prefer trials, dirt jumping, single track over road. But all are great for fitness as long as you moderate your activity and learn how to read your body.
Old 07-14-02, 09:53 PM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry I did forget one thing. PEople trying to loose weight and mountain bike tend to 'forget' to eat. Don't mountain biking can burn upwards of 700 calories an hour on a big man. Sometimes ever more. Bike 7 hours a week and you burn 4900 calories (over a pount) a week. Remove just a few calories from your diet and you create a 2 pound deficet (sp) on your diet. This is MORE than enough for healthy weight loss. Anymore and say bye bye to the muscle. Proper nutrition will help a lot with not overtraining and making you love the sport for a long time.

Sorry for spouting I just felt like typing I guess
Old 07-15-02, 12:59 AM

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
biking is also funner exercise than running, lifting weights IMO... and now since the basketball season has ended, this is my new hobby
Old 07-15-02, 04:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by tFUnK
biking is also funner exercise than running, lifting weights IMO... and now since the basketball season has ended, this is my new hobby
That's why I wonder why would anyone like to use those gym bikes?
Old 07-15-02, 06:01 AM
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting started is a pain, for sure. I'm insulin dependent diabetic and exercise is a big-time priority. When I started road riding it was very hard, especially hill climbs. We have a hill here in the UK south east called Ditchling Beacon. It's not a massif by Alpine standards, but it is damned hard. It took a lot of on-road persistence but once I got the confidence to try it, I managed to climb it - once. OK, no prizes I know. But there is something about doing a thing like that that makes it all the better and it makes me want to go further afield, hence one of the reasons I'm going off-road now. That'll open new avenues, new scrapes, new hills, but I look forward to getting better at it. Keep going with your riding. You will reach the point where you literally turn the corner and it all clicks into place. A lot of work getting to that place perhaps, but the rewards to your health, confidence, well being cannot be measured!

Well done!
Old 07-15-02, 07:56 AM
BFSSFG old timer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by new guy
I think that I have found the perfect way to get into shape.
You have.

Good luck and keep at it!
Old 07-15-02, 12:28 PM
xc AND road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Four years ago I was an avid hiker and backpacker. 18 mile dayhikes with 5,000 feet of climbing (not technical) were the norm, and a 50 lb. backpack was acceptable. I considered myself to be in good condition. . .

Untilt the day an old 10-speed was dropped off at my house by my sister. I arrogantly took it out for a 5 mile ride figuring the crossover from hiking to biking would be natural.

I pushed the bike up steep hills and hurt like crazy the next day, and the day after. I was humbled, but got back on that 31 lb. beast.

I started out with a 4.75 mi. loop, progressed to 6 mi., then to 10 and felt like I really arrived on my first 20 mi. day. It took all summer riding 2 to 4 days per week.

Be persistent and cycling will change your life. Don't forget to have fun, and don't be too hard on yourself (mentally and physically).
Old 07-15-02, 01:53 PM
Oh God, He's back!

Bikes: Paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To you my favorite saying: "WELECOME TO THE ADDICTION! ".
Old 07-15-02, 03:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your words. They do now and will when I ride add another mental aspect to my riding. I can tell that there is alot of wisdom in these forums.

I am going to keep at it and set goals for my self, nothing extreme, but minor goals none the less.

Again, thank you all for your wise words and for your encouragment, that means an awful lot to me. And now, off to ride again
Old 07-15-02, 05:02 PM
Scooby Snax

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
New guy, I got back on the bike two years ago, and have been serious for the last year, Mme. would say fanatical...

its helped, Ive dropped 10 lbs...

Ive probobly gained 10 in muscle....

dont get hung up on the pounds, Ive only weighed myslef for the first time in 4 or 5 months...

its how you feel.... and you will feel much better!!

Good luck and keep it up!!