Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

help newbie with brake sistem

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-05, 09:14 AM

Bikes: MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi people!

I have few questions about brake sistem's. I think that my V-brake sistem isn't working as it should so if you could help me with part's that actualy do something....
1. I tought too get Ritchey Logic brake pads and put it on shimano's Deore or Altus V-break sistem...
What do you think abouth that??? will it work ok??
2. Second thing a saw is "break power buster". What is that and how does it work?? Is that a good thing to buy ??
If anyone have a better solution please tell me..... im open for any coment...

Thanks
Old 06-26-05, 11:22 AM
fanatik

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Salmon colored Kool Stop pads have always been a popular choice for pad upgrades. Ask a local shop and see what those guys recommend. If your rims are old and worn, take the time to wash them down with and scrub them with a scouring pad.

If you mean a "Brake Booster", it really depends on your setup. I've found boosters to be more effective on steel frame, and less effective on aluminum, due to the differences in tubing diameter and stiffness. On the front end, the can make all the difference in the world on a flexy fork.

Boosters work two ways, one by preventing your stays from "bowing" when brakes are applied, the other by preventing them from "winding up" torsionally. In either instance, it's forcing the energy you input at the brake lever to be imparted to the rim, and not towards flexing your frame's tubing.

Again, stiffer, oversized tubing has a higher resistance to this type of flex, so your mileage may vary.

If you do decide to try a booster, I highly recommend the DKG Gorilla.
Old 06-26-05, 04:35 PM
Just give'er.

Bikes: 04 Scrap

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, your cables could be toast or your V brakes could be disengaged. Take a couple of pics of the front V's, the rear V's and the levers and post 'em up.
Old 06-27-05, 04:27 PM

Bikes: MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some pictures you asked from me hooligan. The front and rear brake are Logan - 927AE ( I don't know are you familiar with it...)and brake levers are Logan - 320 PAE (resin body, alloy 2-finger levers).
I think that my break sistem is not that good so my breaking power is lower....
I taught to buy a shimano deore V sistem ... Is that a good choise?? And if I buy it, should I use those pads that I get with that sistem ???