Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

like the bike, hate the dealer...

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-05, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just bought a $350 Giant hybrid after many test-rides, and while I really like the bike, I was very disappointed with my LBS. Staff didn't know the specials advertised on their own website, then told me they didn't apply to items in the store (though you can't purchase stuff from the website), then tried to steer me away. Sold my partner waaay more helmet than needed. Was very unhelpful, the attitude was kind of 'you're not a racer spending $1k+ so you're not really worth our time.' When I bought the bike, the salesperson told me to bring in the bike after 30 days for a free cable-tightening and tune-up. But when I paid the store manager said 'oh don't bother with that, the cables wont' stretch that much. just bring it in for the free fall tuneup. we'll be less busy then.' I had to ask for a demonstration of how the quick-release works and the gear shifter. etc.

Contrast w/my partner's LBS experience (different shop) - they put the bike up on a stand in the repair bay and spent a good 20 minutes going over how to operate, check, and maintain the bike. Oh, and did that while happily entertaining our 2 kiddos in the shop area.

Unfortunately I didn't find a bike at LBS #2 that I like, and they don't sell Giants.

Old 07-07-05, 06:43 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I'd just deal with the other shop. You don't have to have yours serviced where you bought it. The only brand specific with a bike is the frame-the rest of the parts are the same as on any other bike.
But I'd find a way to speak with the owner where you bought your bike and let him know how his employees treated you and that you will not be dealing with him in the future. Maybe the shop will get a personell change and you can get some decent service.
Old 07-07-05, 01:02 PM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Unfortunately LBS 2 won't provide any services or tune-ups for free.
Old 07-10-05, 04:52 PM
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy
Unfortunately LBS 2 won't provide any services or tune-ups for free.
But just how much is that really worth when you don't like your current LBS?
Old 07-10-05, 09:49 PM
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or maybe...just maybe, when they see your face from time to time they might come around. I have a great relationship with my family owned LBS, even though I don't spend a lot there. I also have a good working relationship with the guys at the local Performance. I'm in both shops at least once a week just to see what's up, say hi, buy some chain lube or a spare tube or something, and the more I'm in there, the more friendly they are.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 07-11-05, 11:40 AM
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A good LBS is a blessing.

I bought mine at a store called ABC Bicycles....but since my move (still local) have been going to another bike shop that is very close to my house. They have a better selection, but they are so/so for personal customer service, etc....

I was in the neighborhood so stopped back in at ABC over weekend and the guy still remembers me and starts chatting with me asking how my riding is going, etc....

I wanted to buy a product they didn't have in store....he looked up price and told me I should probably go online as they would be much higher. It was a small ticket item (they were $40, $33 online), so I asked him to order it and I'd buy it from him anyway.

Be thankful when you find the bike shop you love. BTW...I will say that "most" bike shops I've dealt with ARE very good and helpful. So you just had bad luck.
Old 07-31-05, 02:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting - I too was focused on the Trek 7xxx series hybrids and Giant Cypress line. The local Trek dealer was one of the slimiest salesman I had ever seen. Looked like he belonged in some SNL skit on used car salesman, complete with slicked back hair and a goofy 70's moustache and a polo shirt with raised collar. I was thinking to myself "what if I like this bike? can I go through with purchasing it from a guy like this?" He even had the gall to whisper to me later on while my gf was taking her bike out for a spin (Trek 7000 women's which is all they had), that he wasn't being "sexist" but there is no woman that can take advantage of a bike better than the entry level 7000. I told him "Yeah but many people buy upgraded bikes not because they can "take advantage" of the superior components, but because the bikes often have more reliable, smoother performing components". He sneered at that and gave me some half baked bs answer.

Luckily we didn't like the Trek hybrids at all and much preferred the Giant Cypress bikes. The local Giant dealer is an extremely honest and likeable guy and struck us as a true bike enthusiast. He also offered lifetime adjustments for free on the bikes and gave us no nonsense rock bottom quotes without messing around.
Old 08-06-05, 12:25 PM

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
I love my Giant Sedona but the LBS guy never bothered to tell me anything about it. He never stepped from behind the counter...
Old 08-07-05, 11:56 AM
JOCP Senior Advisor

Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raisin
Just bought a $350 Giant hybrid after many test-rides, and while I really like the bike, I was very disappointed with my LBS. Staff didn't know the specials advertised on their own website, then told me they didn't apply to items in the store (though you can't purchase stuff from the website), then tried to steer me away. Sold my partner waaay more helmet than needed. Was very unhelpful, the attitude was kind of 'you're not a racer spending $1k+ so you're not really worth our time.' When I bought the bike, the salesperson told me to bring in the bike after 30 days for a free cable-tightening and tune-up. But when I paid the store manager said 'oh don't bother with that, the cables wont' stretch that much. just bring it in for the free fall tuneup. we'll be less busy then.' I had to ask for a demonstration of how the quick-release works and the gear shifter. etc.

Contrast w/my partner's LBS experience (different shop) - they put the bike up on a stand in the repair bay and spent a good 20 minutes going over how to operate, check, and maintain the bike. Oh, and did that while happily entertaining our 2 kiddos in the shop area.

Unfortunately I didn't find a bike at LBS #2 that I like, and they don't sell Giants.

What state do you live in?