Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

more shock choices

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

more shock choices

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-05, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
more shock choices

I recently posted asking for advice on Marzocchi shocks, I was planning on ordering a new fork from them under their replacement program ( if they do not have the parts to fix your old fork they will sell you a new one for wholesale) and now that I am ready to call in my order I find that I lost the phone number and am unable to locate the website. It apparently is unavailable. I really need a new shock so in looking around I see a few other shocks that I might be interested in. I get mixed reviews on mtb.com so I thought I'd post here. Manitou Axel Elite-$79 this is in the running because of the price and because no one can tell me exactly WHY it sucks...just that it sucks, thanks. Manitou Black Comp-$139 also listed because of price and I imagine it would be better than the Axel but.... Marzocchi MX comp $ 210 I can get this from Marz cheaper but I can't find them so ... I only ride single track, minimal jumping, never on purpose, I guess you would say XC. I unfortunatly will need to purchase a $39 set of Hayes mechs ( relax, they will be on until they break then it's the avids) if I purchase the OE manitou shocks. I also am unsure if the MX comp is coil or air or both, I think Ive found all three at various websites but it's hard to tell, all the pictures look slightly different. I made sure they said MX Comp before I clicked so no problems there. Wow, alot of words here, basically tell me which is the better deal, I'll be upgrading to a better frame in a few years and only manage to ride about twice a week. I would appreciate real advice on why Manitou Axel is so bad, or if you can think of something similar. My current price range is around $200, I'll go up some if I hear a good reason, I of course would love to go below that too. To recap, current shock is broke, need to last only two years, price range 200ish to 300, can only run 85-100 travel,would prefer to not buy discs but will if needed for OE deals. Thanks