Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do vehicles stop at bike crossings in your state?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: Do vehicles stop at bike crossings in your state?
Always
4.17%
50% or more
29.17%
50% or less
20.83%
Never
33.33%
They must stop - it's the law
0%
Stopping is optional or no law
25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Do vehicles stop at bike crossings in your state?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-05, 12:54 AM
another cat...FAB!

Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I searched for another poll like this, so I apologize if this is a dupe. Today I had to stand in the middle of an intersection stopping traffic at a bike crossing just so a family could cross. Multiple answers: I'm finding this really varies by state, so post your state and whether the law is enforced or not

Last edited by stevesurf; 07-10-05 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-10-05, 05:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cars are not required to, but I live in an extremely bike friendly area (Southern NH)
Old 07-10-05, 06:39 AM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Only when I hold the walk signal button that stops the straight thru motorists with a red light... the right turners do not stop and will cross the bike path.
Old 07-10-05, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The only crossings I've ever seen at an intersection are crosswalks for pedestrians. I've seen some trails crossing streets, and if the cars have a signal or stop sign they all stop.
Old 07-10-05, 08:59 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Bikes must stop if a bike path or trail crosses a roadway. The cyclists even have a stop sign to let them know in case they don't know the law.
Around here many motorists stop for cyclists because they (the motorists) don't know the law.
These are probably the same motorists that I see on my daily commute. They are already at a stop sign and have the right of way because I'm still 1/2 block from the intersection, yet they wait for me to get to the intersection and wave me through. I never fall for that one and point to "my" stop sign and tell them they have the right of way. Idiots!

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-10-05, 01:18 PM

Bikes: TREK 1000c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Bikes must stop if a bike path or trail crosses a roadway. The cyclists even have a stop sign to let them know in case they don't know the law...
On the West Orange bike trail (Orange County, FL), the cyclists on the trail are presented with a stop sign when it crosses a roadway and are required to obey the sign. Does law enforcement ticket cyclists who run the stop signs? Haven't seen any being handed out.

d.tipton
Old 07-10-05, 01:40 PM
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bikes must stop at a stop sign. A vehicle may enter the crossing if there are no bikes or pedestrians in the crossing. A vehicle must stop if there is a bike in the crossing.

In Minnesota, the park district police are there enforcing this law during heavy usage hours. One on each side of the crossing.
Old 07-10-05, 01:55 PM
Passionate or O-C?

Bikes: 2005 Bianchi Axis, Motobecane Le Champion SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I took my first ride on a bike trail system that crosses local roads several times (Glens Falls, NY). As I stopped at each intersection, I was pleasantly surprised to find that, in most cases, motorists stopped to let me cross. I don't know if it's the law or not, but it sure is a nice thing to do.

Good riding,
desmobob
Old 07-10-05, 02:58 PM
Dubito ergo sum.

Bikes: Bessie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevesurf
I searched for another poll like this, so I apologize if this is a dupe. Today I had to stand in the middle of an intersection stopping traffic at a bike crossing just so a family could cross. Multiple answers: I'm finding this really varies by state, so post your state and whether the law is enforced or not
State? Is this poll open to Americans only, or are you using the term in the sense of "nation"?
Old 07-10-05, 03:20 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized S-Works Tricross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here I think the general rule is that traffic yields to cyclists (and other users) when the intersection is marked as a crosswalk and not guarded by lights. However, there are exceptions where the MUP has stop signs. But since compliance by motorists in this regard here is so low you would be fulfilling your Darwinian destiny if you were to quickly enter any MUP/roadway intersection without first negotiating the right-of-way with oncoming motorists.

I tired to find a recent article from the Washington Post but failed - anyway there is an expanding program here to put brightly colored flags at crosswalks (where there isn't a light). The idea is that you, as the pedestrian, grap a flag and use it to flag traffic down to a stop as you cross. You then leave the flag on the oppsite side for the next person.

This is to combat that motorist who is going 55 in a 35 MPH zone, talking on the cell phone, drinking coffee while fumbling with the radio. I'm not sure fireworks would even work.
Old 07-10-05, 08:18 PM
another cat...FAB!

Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patc
State? Is this poll open to Americans only, or are you using the term in the sense of "nation"?
State or Province...sorry my error of omission. I'm sure everyone wants to hear how it is in Canada and other countries
Old 07-10-05, 08:23 PM
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I live in a pretty bike-friendly area. The "bike crossings" where MUPs meet roads are generally treated as crosswalks and the regular rules apply. Vehicles generally stop for the pedestrian/bike cross-traffic which also has a stopsign to obey.
Old 07-11-05, 02:58 PM

Bikes: 2004 Martin Novato w/ 2004 Burley Nomad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a lot of people stop for the bike paths or MUPs, but time to time there are a nice person who stops.

GEEK
Old 07-11-05, 07:04 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I very often bike R to T in Wisconsin and Illinois. One of these trails is 25 miles through swamp. About (10) roads cross. The traffic on these roads is so infrequent that on a given ride you may only see two or three cars. All these crossings have nice big stop signs for the bike pad of course.
The unlawful procedure followed by many bikers, is to slow down, look for cars and keep going (me included). The area is so quiet that you can hear a car coming half a mile away.

Recently I had a bad scare: A quiet biker came down one of those roads at full speed, of course close to the side of that road, in the shadow and I had dark glasses on.
Please realize that is the first biker I have seen on those roads in a few years.

I feel bad about this. The point I am trying to make is that accidents can happen. I think they cannot be totally avoided. But we can try.
Old 07-11-05, 07:42 PM
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In Washington, DC, motorists are required to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk. In places where cyclists are allowed to use the sidewalk, they have the same rights and duties as pedestrians, and motorists are required to stop for them.

I would say that zero percent of motorists understand this -- if it weren't for an encounter I had today. I was waiting to turn left from a left turn lane, and I had crept forward into the crosswalk. An opposing motorist saw me stopped in the crosswalk, thought I was crossing, and stopped to let me go. Predictably, the cars behind him let loose their horns in a fussilade of anger.

So there is at least one motorist who's aware of the law. It would be taking your life into your hands to count on there being more than one, though.
Old 07-11-05, 08:00 PM
another cat...FAB!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slow Train
anyway there is an expanding program here to put brightly colored flags at crosswalks (where there isn't a light). The idea is that you, as the pedestrian, grap a flag and use it to flag traffic down to a stop as you cross. You then leave the flag on the oppsite side for the next person.

This is to combat that motorist who is going 55 in a 35 MPH zone, talking on the cell phone, drinking coffee while fumbling with the radio. I'm not sure fireworks would even work.
Thats a great idea, but I think they would last about 00:30. But don't you think it's strange that drivers never need to stop, even if bikers are about to cross?