Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

A question about rookie training for long distance

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

A question about rookie training for long distance

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-01, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone!

I am a "new" cyclist and am taking on the Heartland AIDS Ride this summer. 600 miles - 6 days. Yikes.

I dont have a clue where to start with training and equipment! ARG! Would anyone offer to help me create a workout and diet plan for the next 4 months? I am really committed to this and could really use a hand.

My email is curt@inkdesigngroup.com
my icq# is 13730025

Thanks in advance, I can't WAIT to get training!!
Curt Wagner

Old 03-07-01, 08:43 AM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Curt, check out this website: www.halcyon.com/gasman

Great info. on cycling performance tips.

(Don't try www.halcyon.com, it doesn't bring you close enough.)

Try not to overdo it in the beginning. If you overtrain, you may set yourself too far back in your training schedule to make the deadline. Be sure you can handle 100 mile days by that time. And since this is not a race, but a moral statement, don't push yourself too much. Be willing to drop out or rest if you still can't make the whole ride.
Everyone will still think your effort magnificent.

Go for it!

Pete
Old 04-06-01, 09:11 PM

Bikes: Seven Axiom Ti, Trek 620, Masi cylocross (steel). Masi Souleville 8spd, Fat Chance Mtn. (steel), Schwinn Triple Bar cruiser, Mazi Speciale Fix/single, Schwinn Typhoon

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Be intense on the short, little time after work rides. Ride harder than you do on weekends. Don't forget to keep your pedal rpm high, "spinning is everything".
Be sure to take a couple of rest days each week, a short easy ride on those days can do a lot of good. 15 to 20 or 30 min (just enough to "warm up"), level ground, soft pedal, a little higher rpm than other days. It'l blow the "junk " out of your system
stretch after EVERY ride while you're still warm