Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

What Matters Most?

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

What Matters Most?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-05, 02:41 PM

Bikes: i own a pacific, BUT im getting a haro backtrail X0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What Matters Most?

Hey I'm going to go and get some bike parts and i was wondering what is the part on the bike that makes the biggest differince like makes it better to ride (EXEPT THE FRAME). Name 3 parts
Old 07-13-05, 02:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you were the one getting the backtrail right? so i am going to name some stuff that would help you out with dirt jumping.

1.) bars, i like to have some nice bars on my bikes.
2.) tires, i dont like larger tires on dirt.
3.) stem, if you dont have a good, tight stem your bars will click. and if you land wrong they might move a whole lot.
Old 07-13-05, 02:59 PM
"Uh-uh. Respek Knuckles."

Bikes: '06 LeMond Versailles, '04 S&M Beringer, '03 Quamen Bowls, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix (converted to fixed gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rider
Old 07-13-05, 03:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, i was going to say that but decided to just answer his question. hypersnazz is right though.
Old 07-13-05, 03:23 PM

Bikes: '06 LeMond Versailles, '04 S&M Beringer, '03 Quamen Bowls, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix (converted to fixed gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's seriously no point in upgrading for the sake of doing so. If you don't know the answer to your question through riding and experience, you're just wasting money.
Old 07-13-05, 05:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DUDE, I have a pacific i really need knew parts and then once i get everything Im getting a frame
Old 07-13-05, 06:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Pacific isn't worth upgrading. You'll actually save money if you wait and get a bike from a bike shop with a decent set of parts. If you're on a budget, buy the most bike you can reasonably afford and upgrade only when necessary.

If you don't believe me, do the math: go to Dan's and build a bike from scratch. Even with cheesy parts it's still a LOT more expensive than buying a complete bike with the same stuff.
Old 07-13-05, 06:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, i can get the parts to make my pacific better than a haro backtrail X0 before i could buy the backtrail X0, BECAUSE... my pacific has a good crank (unbelievable but tre) and i have good rims and sprocket and chain and i dont need a gyro front brake or back brake soooooooo....
Old 07-13-05, 06:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and you got to say you would rather have a costom bike then a bike thats put togather for you with stuff that you dont like on it
Old 07-13-05, 06:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude, if you're just going to argue (and argue without actually reading up on the subject first), why do you bother asking for advice? By the time you've upgraded half the parts on that Pacific (with upgrades that will actually make a difference), you've spent more than a new bike would have cost.
Old 07-13-05, 06:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a new bike wouldnt be as nice as a costom bike and i was asking for avice on what bike parts i should get first NOT a gay post like
The rider
I think you need to check the thread tittle. Do you buy the rider is it a part on a the bike NO ITS NOT
Old 07-13-05, 07:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Redeyery
a new bike wouldnt be as nice as a costom bike and i was asking for avice on what bike parts i should get first NOT a gay post like I think you need to check the thread tittle. Do you buy the rider is it a part on a the bike NO ITS NOT
Dude, if you want to waste money, go waste money. You don't need to ask our opinion on where you should waste it 'cause you're gonna waste it regardless of what we say. Turn off the computer, get off your ass and go ride.
Old 07-13-05, 07:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well put hypersnazz. I like that last part about going to ride. It seems like so many times (myself included) we get cought up in all the propaganda. I ride a 19'' Top Tube and everyone is telling me that is too small for my height. Maybe it is since I am 6', but who cares and why do those guys at the park care what kind of bike I ride. I see guys at the parks with pieces of junk pulling off som amazing stuff. And I also see guys with $1,000.00 bikes sitting and watching it all. Don't get me wrong parts do make a difference and if this guy wants to know some good parts than tell him what some good parts are, but really what makes a good rider has little to do with what kind of bike tou have.
Old 07-13-05, 08:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i know, but i want better parts and i didnt wanna waste money but i want to get it as customized to me as i can get it like im only a twelve year old and my bike weighs 45 pounds. But all i neededwas help
Old 07-13-05, 09:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think there is happy medium here and i am going to take a stab at it. get the backtrail, then go out and ride. everyday, and when you break something take a trip to your lbs and buy some good stuff. by this time you will probobly need some better stuff anyway.
Old 07-13-05, 10:45 PM
Keep it real

Bikes: Fit Bkies Flow Series

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Redeyery
Ok, i can get the parts to make my pacific better than a haro backtrail X0 before i could buy the backtrail X0, BECAUSE... my pacific has a good crank (unbelievable but tre) and i have good rims and sprocket and chain and i dont need a gyro front brake or back brake soooooooo....
Your very sad man,
Old 07-14-05, 12:54 AM

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What matters most? The rider.

You asked, it was answered. Go buy a set of Odi lock-ons if you need to spend before you get a new bike. Or, go buy $500 worth of parts that come on a comlete $300 bike, and hang those parts on your $100 bike. You've got a future in government economics.
Old 07-14-05, 05:44 AM
Dig.

Bikes: FTW, Gunnar Roadie, Open U.P, Gunnar Rock Hound, S&M CCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
everyone is right, (the rider is the most important part)
but if you insist...

FORK...
BARS...
WHEELS...
Old 07-14-05, 07:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
alright, Thanks that was really muture of you guys i thaught i could really get help,

Thanks Anyway
Old 07-14-05, 07:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Listen to these guys, they know what they are talking about. If you are going to get parts like a fork, wheels, and bars you might as well get a complete bike. Go to Dans and check out some of their complete bikes. Check out the prices on the parts and pieces individually. Basically you will pay for the frame, fork, crank, and get the rest of the bike for free. That is compared to buying each part induvidually. Always take your time when spending a lot of money if you don't have much like me. If you have a lot of money than do what you want, but if you are poor like me just take your time and do it right, and ride what you got.
Old 07-14-05, 08:38 AM
Dig.

Bikes: FTW, Gunnar Roadie, Open U.P, Gunnar Rock Hound, S&M CCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KinetikBiker04
FORK...
BARS...
WHEELS...
i tried....so dont PMS at me...
Old 07-14-05, 10:01 AM
fuseless

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zx108
you were the one getting the backtrail right? so i am going to name some stuff that would help you out with dirt jumping.

1.) bars, i like to have some nice bars on my bikes.
2.) tires, i dont like larger tires on dirt.
3.) stem, if you dont have a good, tight stem your bars will click. and if you land wrong they might move a whole lot.
i pretty much agree.

Originally Posted by hypersnazz
the rider
i agree with that, but i think far more important is style. guess that fits with snazz's comment, but i love watching a rider who isn't that good but has style more than a bloke throwing sketchy double flips. dis 'n kaapse ding.
Old 07-14-05, 10:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I totally second that seatspinner. In anything that we do it is better to master 2 or three tricks and have them down 100% with style rather than barley landing 20 tricks at about 50%. I know exactly what you mean. At my local skate park there are some skaters who land all of their kickflips and other tricks, but there is this one guy that just hauls some $%& and catches a lot of air with style on all of his jumps, and everyone watches him and not the other kids doing all of their other tircks. All this guy does is ollies, but he does it big and with style though and everyone is always checking him out.
Old 07-14-05, 11:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by naicidrac
I totally second that seatspinner. In anything that we do it is better to master 2 or three tricks and have them down 100% with style rather than barley landing 20 tricks at about 50%. I know exactly what you mean. At my local skate park there are some skaters who land all of their kickflips and other tricks, but there is this one guy that just hauls some $%& and catches a lot of air with style on all of his jumps, and everyone watches him and not the other kids doing all of their other tircks. All this guy does is ollies, but he does it big and with style though and everyone is always checking him out.
Sooner or later the kids with 20 tricks are gonna have 'em dialed and the people watching One Trick Wonder are gonna get bored. I've got a handful of moves dialed to the point of doing them all day long without ever faltering, but life is pretty bland without variety so I've got my tricks that I crash every time but insist on trying anyway. It's not about who's watching you.
Old 07-14-05, 12:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's true too hypersnazz. That was kind of a hypothetical. Of course we all do a variety of tricks and we would all get bored doing or watching one trick. I was just letting seatspinner know that I agreed with what he said about style. Sorry hypersnazz that was a bad example.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.