Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cleaning Frame

Old 07-14-05, 08:53 AM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cleaning Frame

What do you all think -- Pledge or Pedro's Bike Lust? Pledge is conveniently purchased anywhere and is less expensive. Are there any advantages to Pedro's over the Pledge for cleaning and polishing?
Old 07-14-05, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Simple Green makes a biodegradable foaming cleaner for bikes. It works well.
Old 07-14-05, 01:34 PM
la vache fantôme

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use plain old simple green spray. It works very well, i doubt Pedros bike lust or anything bicycle specific does a better job I will notice
Old 07-14-05, 02:23 PM

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phantomcow2
I use plain old simple green spray. It works very well, i doubt Pedros bike lust or anything bicycle specific does a better job I will notice
I use either Zep or Duke citrus cleaner that I buy at Home Depot for about $6 a gallon. Works as well as anything, better than most. Wash down with clear water and if you really want - follow up with Turtle Wax.
Old 07-14-05, 08:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do not use Pledge on your rims (or disks if you have disk brakes). You will not be able to stop and that will be bad.
Old 07-14-05, 10:44 PM

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found those baby wipes they sell at the local market (tons of people have little kids around here) that I use for a number of things are also good for a quick bike cleaning. Pledge is good stuff, but yes, keep it off of your rims and keep it off of your brake pads.

But again, Bike Lust wins points on name alone :-)
Old 07-14-05, 11:15 PM
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike lust is very nice stuff... I use it when I am really detailing my bike out... like for a race. Pledge works well, but I do not think my bike is a peice of furniture!
Old 07-16-05, 08:15 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Unless you have a nude TI frame Pledge is worthless! It will not hold up to the outdoor activities, it's made for furnature, but on TI it will shine it up but not protect it...TI doesn't need protection. Also Pedros wax is expensive especially since you can use standard non-abrasive car wax and it will do the same if not better job for less money. For painted surfaces get a auto wax like Mequires Gold Class or Mothers California Gold, both of these waxes have no abrasives so is safe on all clear coat finishes and are durable-especially the Mequires.

I clean my bike using Finish Line Bike Wash because I have a steel bike and the wash contains a rust inhibitor so I don't have too worry about it rusting just because I washed it, and it's biodegradeable.
Old 07-16-05, 08:37 AM

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Froze

<< 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe >>

I would love to see pictures of that beauty!!
Old 07-16-05, 08:54 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by toomanybikes
Hey Froze

<< 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe >>

I would love to see pictures of that beauty!!
I don't have a computer camera but have a link that will show you almost exactly what it looks like, the only difference in the picture you'll see and my bike is my bike is all polished 100% Suntour Superbe aluminum components-no black parts like the headset, wheels and brakes pictured... and now it has a brown Brooks Swift saddle in an attempt to match the gum brake hoods better then black; also the decals over the years have faded from yellow to white with traces of yellow from the intense sun of the Mojave Desert of Calif where I lived for over 10 years; and the usual nicks but I touch them all up when they occur with matching paint. The original headset was the one you see pictured, a black Stronglite that was actually slightly lighter then the Superbe but after I stopped racing I put the Superbe on only because I didn't (and still don't) like the black look! I bought the bike as a frame and fork only and had the Superbe stuff put on instead of using Treks factory supplied components. You can't tell real well in the picture but the cables are yellow; I even still use yellow (cork not the plastic shown) bar tape! Scroll down the page to you see the red 660: https://www.vintage-trek.com/TrekBrochure1984Racing.htm
Old 07-16-05, 10:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use windex.