Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Clydesdale leg protection

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-05, 10:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are a lot of posts out there about DH type pads - ones that would look at home on a catcher. Any clydesdales wear lighter weight shin pads? I tried size large sixsixone veggies (shin) but I couldn't get them around my calves and their website shows that those are the largest size they offer. Anyone know of other neoprene type pads that I should try?

What are you big guys wearing? I'd like to stay away from the beefier types. Thanks.
Old 07-14-05, 11:49 PM
What?

Bikes: Bianchi Brava(retired), Surly Instigator(retired)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to consider myself a big guy (6'4 225lbs) I don't wear light pads. I wear Roach Rally FR shinguards. They look big and bulky, but they offer more protection that the 661 veggies and I would think more ventilalation since they aren't neoprene. Neoprene might not be bad, but other than stopping road rash, I don't see how they can offer much in the ways of bruising or bone breaking protection. You might not be too bad off with Roach pads.
Old 07-15-05, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FreeridinLoon
I like to consider myself a big guy (6'4 225lbs) I don't wear light pads. I wear Roach Rally FR shinguards. They look big and bulky, but they offer more protection that the 661 veggies and I would think more ventilalation since they aren't neoprene. Neoprene might not be bad, but other than stopping road rash, I don't see how they can offer much in the ways of bruising or bone breaking protection. You might not be too bad off with Roach pads.
The veggie pads aren't JUST neoprene, they also have a plastic panel inside the front of the pad that works really well for protecting your shin from your pedals and frame.
Old 07-15-05, 12:59 AM
What?

Bikes: Bianchi Brava(retired), Surly Instigator(retired)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't know that, thanks for the clear up.
Old 07-15-05, 05:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The veggies offer decent protection with a lot less bulk. Unfortunately they're just too small.
Old 07-15-05, 06:00 AM
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trumbull I've had a hunt around for knee ptoection with the similar results to you.

Somewhere else you might try is the clydesdale forum on MTBR

https://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95

As for bike forums if any clydes out there have either knee pads or shin protectors what do you use?
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 07-15-05, 06:47 AM
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually have to modify the straps around the shin. I like Rockgarden's shin/knee pads and I asked them about larger calfs (19 1/2") and they told me they are going to produce a larger set for '06 that will fit. That does not do you good now but in a few months you could get them. The pads are not super bulky and have good protection and ventalation but not as light as others.

Old 07-15-05, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtbikedude
I usually have to modify the straps around the shin. I like Rockgarden's shin/knee pads and I asked them about larger calfs (19 1/2") and they told me they are going to produce a larger set for '06 that will fit. That does not do you good now but in a few months you could get them. The pads are not super bulky and have good protection and ventalation but not as light as others.
I thought about working on my sewing skills and going with the Veggies but I know I'd screw them up. The 661 site says that there size L veggie shin guards fit from 14" - 19" which means that either they're dreaming or my tape measure is broken! Calves measure just under 19" and those veggies would need a solid 1+ inch to even come close to the tab connecting to the other side!

The Rock Gardn Landing Zone guards look cool but I was hoping to find a minimalist type product with decent protection.

--
Originally Posted by markhr
Trumbull I've had a hunt around for knee ptoection with the similar results to you.

Somewhere else you might try is the clydesdale forum on MTBR
I was going to post there next. I find that there are many more hits on bikeforums.net so I decided to try here first. That Clydesdale forum is a great resource for us big guys - me? I'm 6'4, 265 riding a one week old Heckler.

Thanks for your suggestions.