Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I'd appreciate your evaluation of my impromptu first solo metric century.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I'd appreciate your evaluation of my impromptu first solo metric century.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-05, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Due to a marital spat I needed to get out of the house. So I hopped on my bike, a Specialized Allez Elite. The following are the results.

62.62 miles in 3:31.17 at 17.79mph. No time off the bike what so ever (no breaks). Pretty flat terrain with some rolling hills and 2 decent climbs thrown in. A light breeze was present, I rode a large figure 8 loop so it came at me from all directions depending on my location on the route.

I started with 2 large water bottles, 1 with water, the other with Gatorade. Also took along 1 bananna and a 6 pack of honey peanut butter crackers. The bananna and four of the crackers were eaten by the end of the ride. My water bottles were empty 40 or so miles into it so the last 20 miles were a bit rough. I stopped sweating due to lack of hydration, I think. I would have eaten the last of the crackers too but nothing to wash it down with.

Other than the lack of water at the end no other problems. My arms and back were pretty sore/tired when I finished though.

Lastly, my "training" consists of 18 miles per day, 5 days a week commuting to and from work. I've been doing that since April of this year. I did ride about 28 miles with another forum member about a week and a half before the century. I'm male, age 31, about 195lbs if that matters.

I'd appreciate your brutally honest evaluation.
Old 07-15-05, 08:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my brutal honest opinion:

YOU SUCK, now that you've don't your first century at 31 I've got no excuse not to do it at 29. THANKS FOR SETTING THE BAR SO HIGH. BAS@$%

I think that's a pretty sick pace no matter what. I for one, am quite impressed.

Trix
Old 07-15-05, 08:57 AM
Beauty Everywhere

Bikes: 2006 Giant Anthem, Specialized Dolce Elite 05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats Terrible
No really good ride and PACE. So how did it feel to ride by yourself, did you really enjoy it???

Also, sorry for the martial spat, sure you felt great when you got back and you two were able to make up.

Now, it may be time to fine a rest stop to re-fuel or get extra bottle racks for extra bottles. But overall it sounds like you had a great ride and hopefully get out your frustrations.
Old 07-15-05, 09:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So how did it feel to ride by yourself, did you really enjoy it???
Yes, I enjoyed it. It's funny how I kept saying to myself "Hmmm....If I ride this direction I'll end up with 45 miles". Then later I'd say "What's 5 more?" And so on. Darkness and lack of water were the limiting factors. The 30 miler I spoke of in my initial post really gave me the confidence to attempt it. The solo part of it wasn't a problem because I had plenty to think about at the time. I know others ride much further but I was surprised at how much easier it was for me than I expected.

I'm not quite sure if my wife and I have made up yet or not though.
Old 07-15-05, 09:39 AM
Beauty Everywhere

Bikes: 2006 Giant Anthem, Specialized Dolce Elite 05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well now that you have done 62 miles your so ready for 100, extra miles for when the fight gets really bad.
Old 07-15-05, 10:06 AM
...and SnowDog

Bikes: 2015 Scott CR-1; 2013 Kona Jake the Snake; 2003 Scattante XRL; 1991 Raleigh Talon drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You seemed pretty well prepared considering you stormed out of the house during a marital spat.
Old 07-15-05, 10:15 AM
Speed Junky

Bikes: The nice ones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have done that milage and didn't realize what a metric century was until recently.

Sounds like you did well to me, but I wonder this. Do you think mentally you would have done well if your ride wasn't on a loop? After the first lap you know whats coming next, the terrain is of no surprize.

Your average speed seems good to me for that distance, what was your MAX speed during any downhill sections?
Old 07-15-05, 11:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shnapper
I have done that milage and didn't realize what a metric century was until recently.

Sounds like you did well to me, but I wonder this. Do you think mentally you would have done well if your ride wasn't on a loop? After the first lap you know whats coming next, the terrain is of no surprize.

Your average speed seems good to me for that distance, what was your MAX speed during any downhill sections?
Maybe my idea of a loop is incorrect. I thought it was a route that began and ended in the same place. The loop I rode was 62.62miles in length and I rode it one time. Am I incorrect?
Old 07-15-05, 12:43 PM
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Brutally honest?

You're a dumbass for not stopping to refill your water.

Congrats on the distance though
Old 07-15-05, 01:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
Brutally honest?

Thanks for that dose of tough love. Honestly though, it was only my second outing in my cycling gear. I don't think I could venture far from my bike in it (to get water that is).
Old 07-15-05, 01:43 PM
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
yeah, walking around in spandex is strange at first, but it comes with the territory. I just duck in and out of the Circle K/Stop-n-Rob/QuikEMart as fast as I can, say hello to the people behind the counter to diffuse any weirdness, and move along....

Ceasing to sweat while you're exercising is a sure-fire indication of dehydration. Scary stuff...
Old 07-15-05, 01:56 PM
Focus on the future

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reminds me of my husband's fastest century. We arrived at a race venue at 7:30am. My race was at 9am and his was at 2pm. After sitting in the parking lot for almost six hours, the race organizers said, "Oh yeah, we're cancelling the 1/2 race due to insufficient entries".

He was so pissed that he hopped on his bike and started the hilly route home with only a vague idea of where he was going. Ended up with 106 miles, the first 100 of which were done in 4:52.

Next time, refill your water! Come hell or high water!
Old 07-15-05, 02:02 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by woodboy
You seemed pretty well prepared considering you stormed out of the house during a marital spat.
A man has to be prepared. I myself have a stash of Clif Bars in the garage for just such an event.

Anyways, good job. Nothing like a few miles to clear your head and put things in perspective. Next time, make sure to top off those bottles. After awhile, you'll have memorized the location of every drinking fountain within a 20 mile radius of your house.
Old 07-15-05, 02:04 PM
ke422azn22

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
you dont need to refil ur water if u have two, and ur doing it for only 60 miles.

Well i guess it depends on your climate, never mind.

Old 07-15-05, 02:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
Brutally honest?

I won't call you names but you are definately taking risks without refilling water. I am impressed by your average speed considering the extent of dehydration. I know I always get a little extra adrenaline boost when I ride after fighting with my wife.
Old 07-15-05, 04:56 PM
Speed Junky

Bikes: The nice ones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reich17
Maybe my idea of a loop is incorrect. I thought it was a route that began and ended in the same place. The loop I rode was 62.62miles in length and I rode it one time. Am I incorrect?
Well you did great for having minimal liquids and your avg. speed seems decent to me.
Old 07-15-05, 07:24 PM
Rouleur

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That is a really good average speed, you should be proud. It seems backwards but you usually get faster average speeds riding by yourself, unless everyone in the group is at the same level. Stopping, even at stop signs is a killer for average speed.
Old 07-15-05, 10:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have noticed that my average speed is higher when I am by myself. It is strange because we definately travel faster in group rides. The stopping and waiting must kill the average. Also going slow at the top of hills for the group to get together throws off my blistering fast average speed (please read with sarcastic tone. I am not that fast.)