Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

I miss Tyler Hamilton

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-05, 12:25 PM
Pure Joy Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Laggard
There are reports that Tyler and Millar bowl together twice a week.
What do they do the other 5 days? Oh yeah, consult with their overpaid lawyers...
Old 07-21-05, 12:36 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by SunSwingsLow
Didnt he test positive at the olympics but the other sample was destroyed or something so they couldnt confirm the positive test. Then shortly there after he tests positive again, and this time the other sample is still intact.

Hes a doper and the sport has no room for it or him. End of story.
Yep. three strikes, he's out.

Old 07-21-05, 12:57 PM

Bikes: Seven Cycles Odonata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the deal was with the olympics that the first sample was tested as clean

but then somebody went back and re-tested. and one of the two samples which was retested came up +, and the other one was destroyed. that was why he got to keep the gold. i think that is pretty close to accurate. it seems that somebody was after tyler, regardless of whether he was clean or not. i bleieve he was accused of taking oxygenated blood transfusions? sorry but i'm really not clear on the specifics of the "steroids" or blood, or whatever these guys do to get an edge.
Old 07-21-05, 01:13 PM
DocRay

Originally Posted by Monument Man
the deal was with the olympics that the first sample was tested as clean

but then somebody went back and re-tested. and one of the two samples which was retested came up +, and the other one was destroyed. that was why he got to keep the gold. i think that is pretty close to accurate. it seems that somebody was after tyler, regardless of whether he was clean or not. i bleieve he was accused of taking oxygenated blood transfusions? sorry but i'm really not clear on the specifics of the "steroids" or blood, or whatever these guys do to get an edge.
He got out of Athens by luck. He was carefully, and properly tested later. All riders were tested, why single out anyone? No conspiracy.

He is accused and convicted of blood doping, taking blood transfusions to boost his red blood cell count. Because there are no drugs involved, it is difficult to detect, unless you transfuse from another person, then you see two different DNAs by tests. Some riders do this by taking blood out in training, then putting it back in months later before a race, but this does temporarily weaken. Hamilton took the easy and dangerous way and took in someone else's blood.

Other guys take EPO (erythropoeitin), a hormone that boosts red blood cells, and can be detected at high levels.

Why this is bad: transfusions from another person are dangerous, especially since that other blood was not likely tested for viruses. EPO in excess or too many red blood cells can couse blood thickening and lead to stroke.

Old 07-21-05, 02:52 PM
Photog Extraordinaire

Bikes: Santa Cruz Chameleon, Cannondale R800 (CAAD4) with Dura-Ace upgrade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you miss him, he's going to be on some show with Gumbel on HBO Tuesday night at 10 o'clock EST. Proclaiming his innocence of course.

I guess they're not going to release that Omnimax movie they shot during the '03 Tour now? I haven't heard anything about that. Man, they've got to be pi$$ed. Those movies are freaking exspensive to shoot.
Old 07-21-05, 03:17 PM
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I miss tyler...

and his evil twin.

The man was hella tough, whether he doped or not. I admire his toughness. I don't respect any athlete who dopes.

What a waste.
Old 07-22-05, 08:07 AM
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Laggard
There are reports that Tyler and Millar bowl together twice a week.
They'll buddy up with Jose Canseco
Old 07-22-05, 12:26 PM
One day at a time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was an interesting article about the state of drug testing in sports (and the possible future) in Outside magazine last month. It talked a bit about Tyler and his tests. Here it is for those who are interested.

https://outside.away.com/outside/feat...-sports-1.html
Old 07-22-05, 12:53 PM
DocRay

Originally Posted by spingineer
They'll buddy up with Jose Canseco

...And Keith Richards.

Old 07-22-05, 01:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by H2OChick
There was an interesting article about the state of drug testing in sports (and the possible future) in Outside magazine last month. It talked a bit about Tyler and his tests. Here it is for those who are interested.

https://outside.away.com/outside/feat...-sports-1.html
Great article - thanks for sharing. But it doesn't convince me that Tyler is innocent or guilty. Some one said that there is a test that would prove one way or the other. Is that true? Then maybe I would believe he's guilty. But if he is why keep paying the lawyer? Could it be that he thought he was using his own blood but some one confused the two bottles? Wasn't there some one else caught from the same team?

If he's guilty then he should be kicked out, but I'm still sorry he seemed like a neat guy. If he's not I'm real sorry he has to put up with this. The idea in the end of that article might work here they would monitor each person and only if they deviated from their normal would there be a problem.

Joe
Old 07-22-05, 04:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeprim
But if he is why keep paying the lawyer?
Probably so a lot of his fans will keep believing the lie.
Lord knows why they believe it.
Old 07-22-05, 05:24 PM

Bikes: Colnago Altain, Klein Pulse II, Stumpjumper FSR, GT Zaskar LE, Pedalforce RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
About the "vanishing twin" idea. Yes, this is a theoretical possiblity for the mixed blood that led to the TH banning. There are lots of legitimate explanations for why mixed blood could appear to look like blood doping. And back in April, I though Hamilton was being given a raw deal, and that he would soon be exonerated, BUT, there is a reliable way to test for this concept that Hamilton could be a genetic chimera (rare, but does happen).

Hamilton will not consent to have these tests done. If he is a genetic chimera, he could prove it, but he won't.

And now, his blog is just questioning everything else about the WADA not related to his case, arguing that if they made a past mistake, they did the same to him. This is cheap lawyer talk and diversion. I supported this guy, but I can't say I respect him any more. He's arguing like a guilty person now.
The unborn twin theory insulted my intelligence. Does he think we're stupid? How do you explain Santiago Perez as having the exact same results at the same time on the same team? How do you challenge the accuracy of the testing procedures when NO ONE else in the professional peloton has tested positive for the same blood test?

Another parallel theory presented by his legal team is that Phonak was a victim of extortion. This was being argued at the same time as the "unborn Twin" theory was being presented. The extortion claimed that Santiago and Tyler would both prove positive if they didn't hand over a large amount of money.

The facts remain:
Tyler was contacted by the UCI earlier in the year for testing with suspiciously high hematocrit levels. This occurred a few months before the Olympics. I had read that Blood doping is often used to mask the indicators of EPO and high hematocrit.

Tyler needs to graciously walk away while his reputation is still intact. His work with his foundation will be more effective. He he continues to insult the intelligence of the cycling industry his last remaining asset--his marketability will be lost and credibility of his non-profit foundation will be tarnished.
Old 07-23-05, 06:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squeegy200
I had read that Blood doping is often used to mask the indicators of EPO and high hematocrit.
I could be wrong, but I don't think blood doping masks EPO at all. But it is a replacement for EPO. And the reason to blood dope is to get a higher hematocrit. So yeah, the facts are kind of against Hamilton.
Old 07-23-05, 10:34 AM
Cheers!

Bikes: Scott Addict R15, Cadd 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squeegy200
The unborn twin theory insulted my intelligence. Does he think we're stupid? How do you explain Santiago Perez as having the exact same results at the same time on the same team? How do you challenge the accuracy of the testing procedures when NO ONE else in the professional peloton has tested positive for the same blood test?

Another parallel theory presented by his legal team is that Phonak was a victim of extortion. This was being argued at the same time as the "unborn Twin" theory was being presented. The extortion claimed that Santiago and Tyler would both prove positive if they didn't hand over a large amount of money.

The facts remain:
Tyler was contacted by the UCI earlier in the year for testing with suspiciously high hematocrit levels. This occurred a few months before the Olympics. I had read that Blood doping is often used to mask the indicators of EPO and high hematocrit.

Tyler needs to graciously walk away while his reputation is still intact. His work with his foundation will be more effective. He he continues to insult the intelligence of the cycling industry his last remaining asset--his marketability will be lost and credibility of his non-profit foundation will be tarnished.
His reputation is not intact and you point out 2 statements to indicate this.
Old 07-23-05, 10:38 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by roadgator
i would have loved to see a CLEAN tyler hamilton mix it in the tour this year. but since he has been convicted (the fact that his legal team has made unsuccesful apeals doesn't mean it was just simple allegations. HE IS GUILTY) of doping he can watchc it on tv and wring his hands over how dumb he was for all i care.
So I suppose we can assume that everyone else who has been accused and went to court and lost definitely did it...OK

BTW...it's spelled "appeals"...

The stuff you read....

You also forgot to tell us that Lance dopes, too...eveyone knows this, they just have not caught him... Everybody in pro cycling dopes. Everyone out here knows this. It's been discussed ad nauseum.
Old 07-23-05, 11:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
It's been discussed ad nauseum.
Things change quickly in pro cycling though. Testing changes.
I might as well ask now, what drugs were in the bodies of the GC contenders during today's stage?
Old 07-23-05, 12:27 PM
raodmaster shaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
So I suppose we can assume that everyone else who has been accused and went to court and lost definitely did it...OK

BTW...it's spelled "appeals"...

The stuff you read....

You also forgot to tell us that Lance dopes, too...eveyone knows this, they just have not caught him... Everybody in pro cycling dopes. Everyone out here knows this. It's been discussed ad nauseum.
thats a great double standard: those convicted of doping arent guilty, and everyone else who hasnt been convicted are the ones actualy doing the doping. you should be a lawer.
Old 07-23-05, 12:41 PM
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
I liked it when Tyler finished the tour with a broken shoulder.