Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Jamis Aurora 2005 compared to 2004/2003 ?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Jamis Aurora 2005 compared to 2004/2003 ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-05, 06:33 AM
My custom user title.

Bikes: 2006 Bianchi Volpe.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off I would like to say that I am completely new to these forums, cycling, and the idea of touring.

Other than riding a BMX style bike, I've not cycled at all.

Although I've no experience, I am extremely interested in touring. In fact, I'd be really disappointed in myself if I didn't end up going on a tour, hopefully soon if not eventually.

After doing some searching online, I've become interested in the Jamis Aurora... perhaps because it is a budget bike. With that being said, I was wondering how much "better" the 2005 model is compared to the previous years' models.

Should I spend 400 or so dollars on a used 2003 model, or pay full price for a new 2005, considering that I am just starting out with riding?

Or should I be looking for another brand, instead?

Also, what size frame should I be looking to get?

My measurements are not certain... I am 5'8" to 5'9". My inseam I have not measured, but I wear pants with 30 inseam, which SEEM to fit decently.

From what I've read, 55cm should be my choice, although I am uncertain.

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited by kdos; 07-21-05 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-21-05, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I have an older Aurora (don't know the year) but a used model wouldn't be so bad. I'm 5'7 and a 53 was rather large and it really does not fit me but it's ok. I still need a smaller stem and a shorter handlebar but it works alright.

Only get the 55 cm if you're positive this will fit because the Aurora has a traditional geometry which makes it larger. Actually the 55 cm frame are for those 5 10' and up.
Old 07-21-05, 08:54 AM
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am about to pull the trigger on a Jamis bike (Satellite)
The LBS does not currently carry the Auroroa (just the satellite and NOva)

The Aurora has a slightly higher spec (drivetrain, etc)
It also has a Cro-mo fork, making it overal, a slightly heavier bike (weight is relative; if you want to load it down, the heft/strength is a good thing)
Satellite has Sora drive/CF fork

I'm going with the Satellite because of the CF (slightly softer ride for this old guy)
and, well, it will cover my needs just fine.

Fit is key

Another idea for the short run is to find a reasonably priced, decent fitting steel frame bike with eyelets for racks from the 80/90's
something with a 6-8 gear freewheel and a triple if poss.
Someone will chime in with make names
Nishiki, Panasonic, etc
Screw on a rack, borrow some panniers, load it up, and do a few days on the road. Check it out. YOu don't need a super high tech, super fast ride to bike/camp or credit card tour. If you like it then scope our a new bike. But I do believe the Jamis bikes could handle light-touring (maybe not heavy loaded stuff)
Old 07-21-05, 11:16 AM
My custom user title.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I have an older Aurora (don't know the year) but a used model wouldn't be so bad. I'm 5'7 and a 53 was rather large and it really does not fit me but it's ok. I still need a smaller stem and a shorter handlebar but it works alright.

Only get the 55 cm if you're positive this will fit because the Aurora has a traditional geometry which makes it larger. Actually the 55 cm frame are for those 5 10' and up.
Thanks for the info... you've potentially saved me from spending money on a bike that wouldn't have fit me. And I'm kinda poor so that's a good thing.

How would I know which frame size I would need from brand to brand? I wouldn't know how to determine based on the geometry provided by the companies. Is there an analysis out there that someone has written up or should I be looking at something in particular in the specifications to help me figure this out?
Old 07-21-05, 11:25 AM
My custom user title.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sigurdd50,

Would a Satellite be just as suitable for touring as the Aurora?

The Jamis site mentions nothing of it being for touring. How am I to know which bikes can or cannot be used for touring, if they do not shout out at me with "TOURING BIKE"? Brazeons for racks? Weight? How would I know which can carrier the heavier loads, also?

This is more complicated than I had originally thought. Any help I am grateful for.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-05, 12:21 PM
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How would I know which frame size I would need from brand to brand?
this is the quandry that we face, from brand to brand, on fit and frame size. Since some bikes are compact geometry (racing/road) and some are relaxed geometry (Road/touring), a 54CM bike might be the equivalent to a 58CM bike because the tubes are different length for each style (sighs)

A broad starting point is standover... only a starting point! If you can straddle the top-tube, flat-footed, and lift the bike, and the Top Tube travels a a couple CM before it hits the family jewels, then you are in the ballpark. If the tube is tight against yer crotch, or you can't hardly straddle, then it is too big... if you have to lift the bike quite a ways before it hits, it is generally too small. Of course, if the bike has a sloping TT, then this goes out the window... sort of. If it is too big or small, your seat placement, how long you reach, or pedal angel get exaggerated.

generally if you are that height with that inseam, a 55CM seems too big

The Jamis site says this about the Aurora:

The Aurora is one of the most versatile bikes on the planet, good for club rides, off-season cyclocross racing, light trail riding and, when kitted out with racks, commuting and touring.

The Satellite is basically the same with a slightly lower drivetrain, CF fork, and such... but same quality steel frame. The have eyelets for racks and water cages

I think any bike could be suited to touring. You can get hard core tour specific rides if you get real serious. These would work for modest level touring with some loads... they are good all-round rides

do some searches for Jamis and touring
here is a thread that includes Aurora
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...is+aurora+tour

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...is+aurora+tour

nuff said