Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need Help Choosing New Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-05, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
I am brand-new to this site and just returning to riding after many years. I am looking for a bike that will meet my needs best. Right now, I have two bikes, a late '80's Takara 15 speed mountain bike and a '75 Raleigh Grand Prix road-type bike. While the Takara is OK for light riding on rough trails, I can't stand it on paved surfaces and it is very slow. The Raleigh, while being a bit of a dinosaur compared to the newer stuff, is much smoother and faster than the Takara. I am looking for the best possible road performance with the comfort of flat handlebars. So far, I have looked at the Giant FCR (FCR 3 is nice) and the Jamis Coda Elite (nice adjustable handlebars). Are these bikes comparable/close in performance to a dedicated road bike? Which one do you prefer and why? Are there any other choices that I should consider? Am I on the right track when looking at this type of bike. My goal is to replace the two bikes that I have with one really nice bike that I can ride quickly for long distances. I want something swift, but I find the drop handlebars uncomfortable. I am not looking to set any records at this stage of the game, but I would like something that will continue to do the job as I improve. Thanks in advance for the input...Pablo Ortiz
Old 07-23-05, 08:27 PM

Bikes: '05 Bianchi Eros; '06 Bianchi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure Bianchi makes a flat bar road bike (www.bianchiusa.com) and I believe Felt might make one also (www.feltracing.com). A flat bar bike probably isn't going to offer you the aerodynamics of a road bar with drops, but it may feel more easy to handle. I actually prefer the 'normal' road handlebars, though I rarely ride in the drops - usually on the hoods or the bar on either side of the stem. It might be worth riding both to see which you like better - and, of course, consider what kind of riding you primarily want to do with this bike.

I think Jamis and Giant both make fine bikes, so you're definitely not going astray there.