Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

First time Mtn biking for this roadie! What an experience!!!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

First time Mtn biking for this roadie! What an experience!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-05, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me tell you......I'm in pain!

I normally ride my road bike at an easy pace. Started riding 3 months ago after being off the bike for 3 years. Normal ride is usually 20 miles. Longest ride to date is a Metric Century. Now that you know my background, here's my Mtn bike story.

2 buddies & I decided to go to the Poconos to ride. We went to Jim Thorpe, PA. Got there and rented 2 bikes (Specialized Rockhopper with "Acera" (sp) components).

We asked the rental place if whether we should take a shuttle up to the trails or ride up ourselves. We gave them our riding experience and they said that it would be too boring for us if they shuttle us up to the trail and they suggested that it will be more challeging if we rode there ourselves. The trail is only about 4 or 4.5 miles from the town (Jim Thorpe).

We decided to ride to the trails ourselves. We decided to ride a 15 mile trail (intermediate trail). Well, we left the town (and went on Rte 209 to Rte 93 for those who are familiar with the area) and were on our way.

Rte 209’s climb wasn’t that bad (maybe 3 or 4% grade????). But when we reached Rte 93, we had to stay on Rte 93 for 3.5 MILES!!!! The grade was 9% (we saw a sign). Boy, that was tough!!!!! And the rental bikes were very heavy! I think the total increase was about 1,00 or 1,300ft within 4 miles (anyone know how to calculate the average grade????). The trail started at this place called "State Game Land # 141". Anyone know that area?

Well, it took us a good amount of time to get up to the trails and we were dead tired from the climb.

We thought: “OK, the tough part is done, let’s have some fun”. But the problem is that the trail is mostly flat and with very little downhill! There were LOTS of uphills as well. Lots of Rocks and stones and man, this is a totally different beast than what I was used to on my road bike.

I was bouncing all over the place. After about 1 hour in the trail, I had a headache probably from my brain bouncing and pounding onto my skull

But at the end, we were tired as hell, but the best part was that we had to descend back to town the same way we came. My buddy’s bike’s (I think Santa Cruz (sp) with XTR components) computer’s battery decided to die out at the end of the trail, so we didn’t know how fast the descend was. But I know it was well in the 40+ MPH range. Damn, I wished I had my road bike for that session.

But now, I have so much respect for you Mtn biking folks. Those trails beat the crap out of you!!!! During a descend on the trail, I guess I wasn’t standing up enough (wanted my center of gravity to be low and far back) and the boys took a few hard rapid hits! OUCH!

Seriously, my helmet was bouncing all over the place almost covering my eyes. My glasses were about to bounce off my face! But it was an awesome experience.

I would love to do it again. However, next time, we’re taking the shuttle up to the trail and will probably do and “Easy” trail (I hope EASY = more flats and more downhills).

Last edited by Cadd; 07-24-05 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-23-05, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't they teach you how to do percentages around the 6th grade?

4 miles, times 5280 ft per mile = 21120 feet.

1300 feet of climbing divided by 21120 feet travelled = 6.15% grade
Old 07-23-05, 10:45 PM
Ride bike or bike ride?

Bikes: MongoosePro DH, Dart custom road bike, .243 Racing FR street bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah you need to learn how to protect your.... um.... boys, when on a mountain bike, lots of bad stuff can happen

Sounds like you ha a great time, join the dark side
Old 07-24-05, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Renting a Specialized, thats cool. You can test out that bike and see if it's a future upgrade.....
We are going there on August 7th. We all are bringing our own bikes but I will check out the rental joint just to see what they have. It would be very cool to check out how other bikes respond on the trail instead of a bike store parking lot.

I'm excited to go.
Old 07-24-05, 08:02 AM
Digs technical steeps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you had a great ride! Ouch! on the nutz slap; been there!

Welcome to our sport (our life? ; ) Lots of us like road rides, too; but I must confess I sure prefer the sound of birds singing to a car whizzing by two feet away from me!
Old 07-24-05, 12:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by notfred
Don't they teach you how to do percentages around the 6th grade?

4 miles, times 5280 ft per mile = 21120 feet.

1300 feet of climbing divided by 21120 feet travelled = 6.15% grade
I never paid any attention in class from Middle School all the way through College. I cheated on almost all my exams and graduated....yet, I got better grades then those who I cheated off of.

Now that I'm working, I'm glad I never retained any knowledge from school. I've used about 10% of what I've learned in school from 1st grade through senior year in college.

But I'm glad you were taught how to do percentages in 6th grade. You are a resource of info for me. I get though life by surrounding myself with resourseful people. It worked so far. I have a doctor for my medical needs, an attorney for my legal needs, a CPA for my tax needs, etc. and I have you for my hill grade calculation needs.

Thanks again for your calculation.

Originally Posted by Forced
Renting a Specialized, thats cool. You can test out that bike and see if it's a future upgrade.....
We are going there on August 7th. We all are bringing our own bikes but I will check out the rental joint just to see what they have. It would be very cool to check out how other bikes respond on the trail instead of a bike store parking lot.

I'm excited to go.
I think there are two bike shops that rent out bikes within a 100ft of each other. The shop that we went to only rents Specialized Rockhoppers. Let me know which trail you go on. You’ll be having a lot of fun.

Hopper/Juniper…..yeah, I learned the hard way. My boys got slapped with rapid firing shots. Ouch! I would go out and get a mountain bike, but the problem is…..there aren’t a lot of trails around NYC. For this trip, I had to drive 2+ hours there and 2+ hours back. I will definitely do it again though!
Old 07-25-05, 02:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CADD and NOTFRED

Thanks, nice story and calculations.

I'm in Colorado and I'm bummed since I would love to ride some trails but time is limited.

About the calculations, I wondered the same thing... Thanks Not Fred. I-70 has signs posted into the mountains that say 7% and the cars and trucks I've rented lately have trouble climbing.
Old 07-25-05, 03:22 PM
Just give'er.

Bikes: 04 Scrap

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For rough sections you wanna sit out, sit on your cheeks, shift your boys forward and up and angle your body back a bit.