Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone down for a 508 mile fixed ride through Death Valley?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-05, 11:01 AM
wonderer, wanderer

Bikes: surly crosscheck, yeti 575, salsa moto rapido, kona ute

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

508 miles, 35,000 feet of climbing, 100+ degrees, 2 days, 1 gear, no coasting.
Looks like a great time.
https://www.the508.com/2004web/fixedfeature.html
Old 07-25-05, 11:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if anyone can do it, you can, mr portland-to-seattle-and-back-again.
Old 07-25-05, 11:47 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
there were some pretty amazing times from the fixed riders last year. are you actually planning on doing it? i'd love to hear more about your training, et al.
Old 07-25-05, 12:21 PM
Out of Commission

Bikes: Felt FC, S-Works Roubaix, Epic Comp, Cyfac Proxidium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're a madman. I'm considering the 508 for next year, but with all the gears I can get . What do you after that? P-B-P or RAAM on a fixie? Let us know how this goes.
Old 07-25-05, 12:44 PM
wonderer, wanderer

Bikes: surly crosscheck, yeti 575, salsa moto rapido, kona ute

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
At this point not sure if it's just a crazy idea or not.... would certainly be a test of humanly limits, and I can only imagine how rewarding it would feel to successfully complete it.

Oh, and Rusholme... I think you're thinking of rainedon with his epic Portland-Seattle-Portland fixed. I merely rode it one way. I'm trying to comprehend 2.5 times that length, with 30,000 feet of climbing thrown in.
Old 07-25-05, 12:50 PM
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by gonesh9
At this point not sure if it's just a crazy idea or not....
It's crazy trust me

But do keep us informed.
Old 07-25-05, 12:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry for the mix-up!

one way counts too tho, i know i couldnt do it.
cheers
Old 07-25-05, 01:29 PM

Bikes: A light one, a heavy one, a yellow one and a rusty one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Towards the end of my STP, I started considering the 508. I had read the bio's on the 3 riders doing it and they look like regular dudes who love riding fixed. That sounds like me. I think it would be a good challenge. One that I might cosider more seriously next year. The STP was big miles, but really not a lot of climbing to prepare for something like the 508. I might try to get in some late season brevets this year and try to do the series here next spring/summer. I think those would be better prep for the 508.

I'd also have to buy new wheels. That would blow. I ride deep v's and the 508 fixed rules only allow a 25mm rim depth.

Rules:

The 2004 Furnace Creek 508 is Proud to Offer a Fixed Gear Division in 2004 and Beyond

Fixed Gear Division Rules: Bikes must use the same fixed gearing (ring/cog) for the entire event. Bike frames shall be steel, traditional double diamond design (forks are unrestricted) and wheels (maximum 25 mm rim depth) with 32 spokes minimum. Aerobar/Spinaci attachments and aero-designed parts are prohibited. Wheel switches are permitted only for wheel failures (not for flat tyres), and must be identical or essentially identical to the failed wheel. Bike switches are not permitted. Riders may not coast with feet off the pedals. Riders must declare their gear (ring/cog) choice at check in, which may not be changed thereafter.

Fixed gear division riders may abandon that division and switch to a multispeed bike in the "open" division, then complete the race on the multispeed bike, provided that they or their crew notifies an official as soon as possible; they will then be treated as having ridden the entire event on the multispeed bike.
Old 07-25-05, 01:33 PM
switching to guns

Bikes: allez fuji tracku nishiki TT GT KHS arrow Miner 29'er CIOCC Corsair and now a f*cking awesome waterford skeet velo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
holy jebus! hats off to those guys.
Old 07-25-05, 02:30 PM
mountain troll

Bikes: the hummer brand mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmmm... 250mi per day.. i did 156 in one day of the extremely hilly california coast, took like 10hrs but that was on a coaster bike... so would it be like 20hrs of riding, 4 resting, repeat again? sounds ridiculous...

bout to try the santa cruz mountains century with my track bike... 100mi and 10,000ft of climbing... august 6th, still spots available, should be 500 people
Old 07-25-05, 02:38 PM
mountain troll

Bikes: the hummer brand mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why do they regulate against folks using Deep V rims? why only 25mm depth... wtf
Old 07-25-05, 02:59 PM

Bikes: A light one, a heavy one, a yellow one and a rusty one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deadly downtube
why do they regulate against folks using Deep V rims? why only 25mm depth... wtf

As far as I know, aerodynamics really come into play at 20+ mph and I doubt I'd be spending a lot of time in that zone.
Old 07-25-05, 04:18 PM

Bikes: De Rosa Corum, custom Kalavinka, Bianchi RC Pista, Cannondale MT Track, Workcycles Gr8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's an avg of 7000 feet of climbing per 100 miles. I've done two centuries with 1000 ft of climbing crammed into a 10 mile section of it, with the rest flat. A ride like this is hard to imagine. I doubt it would be 20 hours each day, though. you get to come back down the hills, too.
I've ridden in the shenandoah's with 46x18. It allowed for easy climbing and, provided you're okay with ~150 rpm, 30 mph descents.
Old 07-25-05, 06:18 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rainedon
Rules:

The 2004 Furnace Creek 508 is Proud to Offer a Fixed Gear Division in 2004 and Beyond

Fixed Gear Division Rules: Bikes must use the same fixed gearing (ring/cog) for the entire event. Bike frames shall be steel, traditional double diamond design (forks are unrestricted) and wheels (maximum 25 mm rim depth) with 32 spokes minimum. Aerobar/Spinaci attachments and aero-designed parts are prohibited. Wheel switches are permitted only for wheel failures (not for flat tyres), and must be identical or essentially identical to the failed wheel. Bike switches are not permitted. Riders may not coast with feet off the pedals. Riders must declare their gear (ring/cog) choice at check in, which may not be changed thereafter.

Fixed gear division riders may abandon that division and switch to a multispeed bike in the "open" division, then complete the race on the multispeed bike, provided that they or their crew notifies an official as soon as possible; they will then be treated as having ridden the entire event on the multispeed bike.
WTF? You can't 'coast' with your feet off the pedals? Why so many rules?

I guess they want to limit the race to the 'truly' hardcore.
Old 07-25-05, 06:36 PM

Bikes: De Rosa Corum, custom Kalavinka, Bianchi RC Pista, Cannondale MT Track, Workcycles Gr8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clear rules mean fewer questions, fewer disputes.

Okay, I read the details of the race. For some reason I thought it was a 2-day (stage) race. It isn't. The cutoff is 48 hours. The last winner did it in 31, and the top female in 36. Only one rider is under 30. It looks like the cycling equivalent of ultramarathoning. To the poster who said the two fixed guys looked like typical guys, it's common for ultramarathoners to carry excess body fat. But these people are not at all normal or typical.
Old 07-25-05, 06:47 PM
Is trigger happy

Bikes: langster,73 varsity,trek atb converted to ss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonFixed
WTF? You can't 'coast' with your feet off the pedals? Why so many rules?

I guess they want to limit the race to the 'truly' hardcore.

Sorry but anyone who can do this races is truly hardcore!!!
Old 07-25-05, 07:21 PM
Better than you since 83!

Bikes: Fixed Gear 79 Schwinn Sprint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To answer your question. Not just no, HELL no, I'm not riding through Death Valley in the summer. You must be outta your mind. Now, the winter is another thing all together.
Old 07-25-05, 07:36 PM
Go Fast.. Go Fixed!

Bikes: Marinoni Squadra Fixed Conversion, Eatern Woods Research "Original Woods" MTB, Eastern Woods Research -Modified Trials (20" wheels), and a home made Chopper.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.the508.com/info.html

october 7-10
Old 07-25-05, 07:38 PM

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just read the rules and they are very strict. Even to the point of clothing, types of follow cars, types of lighting (like you have to have amber rear turn signals/flashers, not red like most new cars today)
Old 07-26-05, 02:54 AM
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch. Tose organisers are as tough as good old Henri Desrange was... No ratio change, no unclipping, no lightweight frames, no aero parts... I half thought they would ban brakes as well to make the guys work on the descents properly!
Old 07-26-05, 06:43 AM
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrowedc
The cutoff is 48 hours. The last winner did it in 31, and the top female in 36. Only one rider is under 30. It looks like the cycling equivalent of ultramarathoning. To the poster who said the two fixed guys looked like typical guys, it's common for ultramarathoners to carry excess body fat. But these people are not at all normal or typical.
This race was probably started in response to the success of the Badwater Ultramarathon, that also starts at Furnace Creek, and is run by the same group. It's 135 miles long, and finishes at the portal to the Mt. Whitney summit trail, at 8,000 feet. If you finish in under 48 hours you get a belt buckle. That's the extent of the prizes.

The documentary on it, Running on the Sun, is awesome. It's on Netflix too.
Old 07-26-05, 11:24 AM
THC Freedom Fighter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by junioroverlord
To answer your question. Not just no, HELL no, I'm not riding through Death Valley in the summer. You must be outta your mind. Now, the winter is another thing all together.
12yrs+ i can still remember the heat spent at ft irwin / 29 palms...i can just remember one morning it was somewhere like 110 degrees, no shade...anywhere....and around 9am...

to each their own though, i don't need to push myself to this limit....ever in the heat....
Old 07-26-05, 12:35 PM
Cubicle warfare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
127 in Death Valley yesterday.
Old 07-30-05, 04:49 PM

Bikes: Trek 4300 converted into SS, Mongoose Cannan Elite, GT Pro Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by karmical
12yrs+ i can still remember the heat spent at ft irwin / 29 palms...i can just remember one morning it was somewhere like 110 degrees, no shade...anywhere....and around 9am...

Been there.......felt that!

If ya read that one guys story, I used to take some of those roads to Vegas on the weekends from 29 Palms! VERY deserted and no civilization for miles and miles. They have all these restrictions on the follow vehicle, and bike, ect........but do they have rules for someone being educated with dehydration/heat stroke injuries in everycar??
Old 07-30-05, 05:17 PM
old codger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I drove a car through there once. I read the site. Those guys n gals are nuffing futz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.