Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

What are the chances

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

What are the chances

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-05, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are the chances

that the fine grit that was on my face was crystallized salt from sweating? I noticed it after a "sweaty" 40 mile ride. It reminded me of the very fine play sand in my son and daughters sand box. Maybe it was road grit or something else? It was very light in color and I have never noticed it before.
Old 07-25-05, 12:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could be. Could also be dirt or dust. If you're in the SE US there's supposedly some giant dust cloud for the Sahara blowing in.

I rode through a couple swarms of gnats this weekend on a particularly sweaty ride. Came out the other side looking like I'd been dipped in chocolate sprinkles.
Old 07-25-05, 01:20 PM
bzzzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say the chances are pretty good. Did you do a taste test? Haven't you ever noticed salt stains on any of your darker clothing? I get them all the time.
Old 07-25-05, 07:08 PM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Unless you've been riding through a dust storm, it's salt.
Old 07-25-05, 08:15 PM

Bikes: Trek road bike, Cannondale(ancient) just purchased a Gary Fisher HKEK "05"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just read an article in Outside magazine stating that some people sweat out more salt than others. This seems to be the case with you. They suggested drinking a sports drink (like Gator Aid) to replenish the body rather than just water. Our bodies run on a sodium driven system.
Old 07-25-05, 08:24 PM

Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read somewhere that the average athlete sweats out as much salt during a two-hour ride as the average person needs in an entire day to maintain healthy function.

People look at me wierd when I dump salt on sandwiches or whatever. But you can always just get electrolyte tablets or whatever.

And yeah, taste test will tell you all. I should lick my girlfriend's face after a ride Ya know, just to replace my missing salts. It's all very practical.
Old 07-26-05, 06:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LordOpie
I read somewhere that the average athlete sweats out as much salt during a two-hour ride as the average person needs in an entire day to maintain healthy function.

People look at me wierd when I dump salt on sandwiches or whatever. But you can always just get electrolyte tablets or whatever.

And yeah, taste test will tell you all. I should lick my girlfriend's face after a ride Ya know, just to replace my missing salts. It's all very practical.

So, let's say you are out riding with your girlfriend and Snowy. After a couple of hours Snowy appears dehydrated. Do you let her lick your girlfriends face when she's out of Gatorade?

Back to the original post, I don't know how I compare to others but I go through 2 large water bottles in 35-40 miles (moderate effort cycling). During the ride I mentioned above I drank plain water.

Last edited by reich17; 07-26-05 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-26-05, 07:19 AM

Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reich17
So, let's say you are out riding with your girlfriend and Snowy. After a couple of hours Snowy appears dehydrated. Do you let her lick your girlfriends face when she's out of Gatorade?
Is this one of those bad southern jokes...

I'd like you to meet my sister and wife. And there's only one woman standing there.

Originally Posted by reich17
Back to the original post, I don't know how I compare to others but I go through 2 large water bottles in 35-40 miles (moderate effort cycling). During the ride I mentioned above I drank plain water.
Sounds like you're flushing the salts out that you consume as part of your normal diet if you're only drinking water. I drink about the same amount as you, fyi, fwiw.
Old 07-26-05, 07:51 AM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supcom
Unless you've been riding through a dust storm, it's salt.
Supcom:
You have given me good advise on other questions.
On this issue of salt loss please let me know: I did 100 miles/day in 100 degree and high humidity. I consumed 9 liters of water, ice tea and two sandwiches (Subway).
Did I deprive my system of salt? The last leg of the 100 miles seemed much harder and I had to slow down 10%.

I have done this same trip before, many times, in cooler weather without that problem.
In other words: Is it salt or just overheating?
Old 07-26-05, 11:27 AM
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get this all the time. It is definitely salt, and I can sometimes collect significant amounts of it from my face.

It's tasty. (I kid!)
Old 07-26-05, 12:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by recursive
I get this all the time. It is definitely salt, and I can sometimes collect significant amounts of it from my face.

It's tasty. (I kid!)
It was the first time I ever noticed it and I thought it a bit weird. I wonder why it doesn't happen all the time?