Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Training for the MS150 ride?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 07-25-05, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,
I'm brand new here, hoping to get some training tips. I've just recently gotten more into riding (I have a very old Trek730 hybrid, but with thinner tires than it originally came with.) I did a 62 mile ride a few weeks ago, took about 5 hours. I've just started doing long rides two days in a row (like 30 on Sat, 25 on Sun, etc.)

Anyway, I've got 9 weeks to go to get ready for a much longer ride, the MS150. It's 75 miles two days in a row, completely flat. I'm quite confident I can do 75 miles one day. (I've actually done this ride before - but only the first day.) I've never been able to do that second day - or I should say I've never tried.

Though I've been getting miles in, and doing the stationery bike during the week at the gym, when my work schedule won't allow for getting outside during daylight. I would just like to get more organized and plan out an actual training schedule. I really don't know what I should be doing to get where I need to be.

How do I build up to get stronger and faster? Also, while I can do okay on flat, when I hit a hill I practically grind to a halt, and am left in the dust with whoever I'm riding with. It's quite embarrassing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
~mle
Old 07-25-05, 06:12 PM

Bikes: Surly CC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hill training helps even with flat mileage.

I do 2 interval hill trainings a week now, first on bike, then on foot. I'm obviously preparing for something different (will be doing the Houston MS150 next year) but I can say, without a doubt, that my hill training has definitely improved my times and distances - and hill climbing obviously.

As someone else taught me said: The only way to get better at attacking hills, is attacking hills.
Old 07-26-05, 01:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mle

I just completed the COLO. MS150 a couple of weeks ago.
Although my training schedule was much longer than the 9weeks you have left...I would still recomend building up your stamina gradually.

Try and do 3-4 rides per week at 15-20 miles per ride. Gradually add distance every week. ie...week #2, 3-4 rides 18-22mi...week#3 , 20-25mi and try and not go more than 100-125 per week.
Three important factors:
1-Try and maintain consistent avg. speed on shorter rides and keep within 1mph avg. speed on longer rides.
2-Stay alert to your nutrition and hydration
3-Make sure you get the rest you'll need for recovery.
Build your stamina and gradually decrease your intensity 7-10 days before the ride and take 3-4 days off before the 75 milers.
If they offer a massage after day one on the MS 150...TAKE IT and drink lots of water afterward.

Good luck

Danny
Old 07-26-05, 08:36 AM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sunmle:
We have a few things in common. I use a Trek hybrid 7700. I am training for a 3000 mile trip at 100 to 150 miles/day.
My problem is lack of time. I am still working at age 63.
So here is what I do:
Stationary bike at 20 MPH, over 700 calories/hour, 95 to 100 RPM for 1-2 hours/day.
Use the Trek on lime stone path and do 46 miles in 3 hours. (that is tough)
Use the Trek on lime stone path and do 96 miles in 6-6.5 hours with food stops.
Use a C'dale R2000 Road bike 18-20 miles/hour for two days per week for one or two hours/day.

My recommendation to you is to get your Cadence up to over 80 RPM and learn about proper eating and drinking. I am doing that also.
Old 07-29-05, 05:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sunmle

Where is the ride? The one in the Shennadoah Valley is HILLY! If you don't like hills find another. I did the Richmond to Williamsburg in June it's just rolling hills.

I guess the messages is there are likely to be some hills to do as much climbing as you can. Likely you'll be ok it's not much of a leap from 62. Stop at every rest stop, but not for long. Drink a lot. I nibble a little, but not much. Find something salty.

Good luck

Joe
Old 07-29-05, 01:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for your help & suggestions. The MS150 I'm doing is City to Shore. Starts in Phila and ends up at the beach in Ocean City, NJ. It is definitely all flat. (I'm not sure Jersey has any hills! lol)

I've done 16 miles on the stationery bike in the gym every morning this week, on a hill profile. I could feel a difference from this morning, in terms of being stronger than I was just back on Monday. Higher RPM's and 2 levels higher than when I started. Tomorrow I'll get to ride outside again, to do 40 to 50 miles, and hopefully another 30 on Sunday.

thanks again for your feedback. take care,
mle