Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Karate Monkey + drum brake?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-05, 11:09 AM
floor sleeper

Bikes: Raleigh Twenty, Puch 3 speed road conversion, lookin' into a Karate Monkey for a cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been having trouble trying to get dimensions, anyone know if there would be enough clearance on the back of the Karate Monkey to mount it up with a SRAM iBrake drum brake (hub)... my concern is that on the left side of the KM in the rear is the disc mount - it has that little bracket that comes down into the seat stay and the drum brake has an arm that needs to be mounted to the seat stay... I reckon it'd work because of the fore-aft adjustability of the track end, but am curious if any y'all would venture a guess.

While I'm on the subject, anyone know off the top of your head what kind of lever is required for a drum brake? I'm reckoning that any of the Avid levers might work? They say they're adjustable - but is the mechanical advantage adjustable enough? Do drum brakes require the same amount of pull as a disc or linear pull or the same as a canti/caliper? Such questions...
Old 07-26-05, 11:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robertsdvd
I reckon it'd work because of the fore-aft adjustability of the track end, but am curious if any y'all would venture a guess.
Instead of "venturing a guess", why don't you just call Sram's and Surly's customer support numbers and get some real dimensions and answers?

In memory of Jim Price (aka. sydney) ...
Old 07-26-05, 11:49 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by juicemouse
Instead of "venturing a guess", why don't you just call Sram's and Surly's customer support numbers and get some real dimensions and answers?
Sounds like a plan to me. I think a better question would be: What's the fascination with a drum brake when it's a single place bike and discs are plenty cheap?
Old 07-27-05, 05:16 AM
floor sleeper

Bikes: Raleigh Twenty, Puch 3 speed road conversion, lookin' into a Karate Monkey for a cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
Sounds like a plan to me. I think a better question would be: What's the fascination with a drum brake when it's a single place bike and discs are plenty cheap?
Discs make racks and fenders much more difficult, seatpost racks are about as useful to me as clip-on fenders... that is - useless.