Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Denial

Old 07-31-02, 12:16 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Denial

I am in denial. I realized this when I began this thread.

I started out building my case defining "denial" as a sort of blindness one has about one's own problems. I even used some examples of people "in denial," such as drug addicts, alcoholics and mothers-in-law. Then, just as I was about to spring my trap, claiming that the "motoring public" was also a group that was "in denial" about their problem, I realized it was me. I am "the motoring public." Hence, I was in denial, talking about the "motoring public" as if I were not a part of their group.

Alas, people who live in glass houses spend way too much time washing windows. Anyway, now that I've confessed, "I am a motorist in denial," I can safely diagnose the problem without hypocrisy.

The motoring public (of which I am a part) is in denial about the negative impact of their addiction.

Here is a glaring example, which is pretty much what I heard on the radio recently:

"Traffic today on (such and such street) is backed up due to an accident with injuries. It'll be a while before it gets moving again, you might want to take an alternate route." No mention of the injured people, all the emphasis on the inconvenience to motorists who are in a big damn hurry. The announcer even broke into a giggle at some point later, obviously having forgotten about the seriousness of the "accident with injuries," while she tried to be jovial about the traffic jam as if she were smiling through the adversity.

Denial. Scary.
Old 07-31-02, 12:30 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting post. I suppose "denial" might be a matter of individual perspective.

A surgeon comes home from work and tells the spouse in answer to the question "How was your day?"

"Pretty good day actually. Just a toe amputation, a broken leg from a biking accident and a couple kidney stones. Had a great lunch at the new restaurant. The only bad thing that happened was the new secretary transferred to another hospital."

Ask the "leg" the "toe and the "kidney stone" people how their day was and you'd get quite another perspective. I'm sure.

Carl
Old 07-31-02, 09:26 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Sadly, for whatever reason, there are too many people in denial about the consequences of their actions. This seems to be the case in general life.

That is all.
Old 07-31-02, 11:36 PM

Bikes: Rans Stratus, Trek 1420, Rivendell Rambouillet

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll have to think about this one. The whole reason for my thread on "The Real Cost of Driving" was to point out the costs that are "hidden," which I think is a form of denial.

My wife thinks I should not be riding, because of the potential for another accident. She feels driving is safer, and my personal experience (stats aside) reinforce that feeling of hers. Am I in denial (I've mapped out a "safer" route to work), or is she about the hazards of driving?

Interesting thoughts!

John
Old 08-01-02, 12:02 AM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They say most accidents in the home are in the bathroom.

Don't let that stop you from taking a shower though. Be careful. Use a bath mat. Keep the tub clean and electrical stuff away from the sink and tub. But, please don't stop bathing.

Keep biking. Be careful. Wear the right stuff. Use reflectors, lights, helmets and all that stuff as well as thinking about your route to work. But please don't stop riding.

Carl