Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Large Freewheel Cog

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Large Freewheel Cog

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-05, 09:38 AM

Bikes: Vintage French road bikes, older "rescue" mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Large Freewheel Cog

I recently bought a freewheel with a large cog (38 teeth, standard ones have 28) on the low side. The teeth on the cogs are 14-17-22-28-38 as opposed to the standard 14-17-20-24-28, so it should be better for hilly areas such as where I live. Installed it on my 80's Raleigh, but the rear derailer just doesn't seem to be big enough to handle this monster. Do I need a larger derailer? Derailer extension (if there is such an animal)? Or is there some adjustment I can make that I haven't figure out yet?
Old 07-28-05, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fritz1255
I recently bought a freewheel with a large cog (38 teeth, standard ones have 28) on the low side. The teeth on the cogs are 14-17-22-28-38 as opposed to the standard 14-17-20-24-28, so it should be better for hilly areas such as where I live. Installed it on my 80's Raleigh, but the rear derailer just doesn't seem to be big enough to handle this monster. Do I need a larger derailer? Derailer extension (if there is such an animal)? Or is there some adjustment I can make that I haven't figure out yet?
You have to have a RD that will handle that cog. Some of the old Suntours would. Check with the classic and vintage geeks for the actual models.
Old 07-28-05, 09:49 AM

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sydney
You have to have a RD that will handle that cog. Some of the old Suntours would. Check with the classic and vintage geeks for the actual models.
Suntour AG will handle a 38 tooth cog.
Old 07-28-05, 10:45 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by nick burns
Suntour AG will handle a 38 tooth cog.
Now all that he has to do is to find one.
Old 07-28-05, 12:03 PM
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: https://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Those AG freewheels had a great range, but humungous jumps. Current Shimano Megarange derailers can generally be made to work as long as there isn't a wide range in front...but if youhad a wide range in front, you probably wouldn't have bought the AG freewheel.

I recently came upon a NOS stash of these, and expect to receive them soon. We'll be selling them for $39.95 while they last.

Sheldon "Once Made A 12-38 7-speed Freewheel Using One Of These" Brown
Code:
+------------------------------------------+
|  To invent, you need a good imagination  |
|  and a pile of junk.    --Thomas Edison  |
+------------------------------------------+
Old 07-29-05, 05:51 AM

Bikes: Vintage French road bikes, older "rescue" mountain bikes

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll have to excuse my ignorance on this one, but can the Shimano derailleurs you mentioned be mounted on an older bicycle where the rear derailleur has a "foot" that goes under the rear axle nut?
Old 07-29-05, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You'll have to excuse my ignorance on this one, but can the Shimano derailleurs you mentioned be mounted on an older bicycle where the rear derailleur has a "foot" that goes under the rear axle nut?
You need what is called a 'claw adapter'. Shimano calls theirs a hanger plate.