Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

3-Speed hub locks and crank disengages

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

3-Speed hub locks and crank disengages

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-05, 02:00 PM
bikewrecker

Bikes: Bianchi Strada

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a 1966 Dunelt 3-speed bike and I'm having trouble with that wacky Sturmey-Archer hub. These problems seem to be confined to my "low" gear (marked 3 on the shifter). I should mention that it's also a coaster brake.

One, the crank will suddenly disengage and spin freely without applying any power to the chain. By pulling backwards a little, I can get it to catch again, but it usually disengages again quickly. Sometimes it works awhile.

The second problem is that I "locked up" the rear wheel a couple of times when I got off the bike and then tried to go again. The wheel just stuck and refused to turn. I got off and tried rotating the pedals and they wouldn't turn; neither would the rear wheel turn when I tried to rotate it directly.

Both problems were fixed by shifting into a higher gear, but I want to use all three of them! Does anyone know what to do about these issues? Thanks!
Old 07-28-05, 05:57 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Adjust the indicator chain - that will fix the slippage. As for the lockup, check out Sheldon Brown's site. www.sheldonbrown.com
Old 07-28-05, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All old 3-speeds seem to do that.

I think the trouble is that the cable is fraying so you get stuck "between gears". It's not reaching low gear because the cable is stretching.
Just use high and neutral and it might be all right.

You can try pedalling backwards, that helps for a short term when it happens.