Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

bottom bracket cup Qs (i searched, I promise) HEEELLLLLP!!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-05, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Boy there are alot of BB threads, and I just finished clicking through most of them, and I couldnt find any info I needed. So here goes nothing.
HELP!!! PLEASE!

#1) I'm installing a campy record bottom bracket into an Italian Benotto. I put in the the fixed cup first. It was a little hard to NOT cross-thread it but I managed to get it started just fine. Screwing it in by hand went smoothly so I know there was no cross threading going on. I installed the fixed cup by hand up until the flange was about to make contact with the BB shell and then I started to use my BB tool. Upon the final tightening, I noticed that the cup was about one millimeter short of making contact with the shell on one side. The other side was making full contact with the shell and I had it down TIGHT. It looks as though the BB was cross threaded no more than HALF a thread. This cant be though because the cup screwed in effortlessly. Is this normal? Does my BB shell need to be refaced or something?

#2) Do the campy cups with the neoprene seals work with the campy spindles that are used with the "rifled" cups?

thanks!
Or
Old 07-29-05, 03:31 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by orand
Boy there are alot of BB threads, and I just finished clicking through most of them, and I couldnt find any info I needed. So here goes nothing.
HELP!!! PLEASE!

#1) I'm installing a campy record bottom bracket into an Italian Benotto. I put in the the fixed cup first. It was a little hard to NOT cross-thread it but I managed to get it started just fine. Screwing it in by hand went smoothly so I know there was no cross threading going on. I installed the fixed cup by hand up until the flange was about to make contact with the BB shell and then I started to use my BB tool. Upon the final tightening, I noticed that the cup was about one millimeter short of making contact with the shell on one side. The other side was making full contact with the shell and I had it down TIGHT. It looks as though the BB was cross threaded no more than HALF a thread. This cant be though because the cup screwed in effortlessly. Is this normal? Does my BB shell need to be refaced or something?

#2) Do the campy cups with the neoprene seals work with the campy spindles that are used with the "rifled" cups?

thanks!
Or
  1. I'd say that the answer is probably as easy as having your BB shell threads chased a bit deeper
  2. Can't help you there Chief. Wait for sydney, The Fixer, Retro Grouch, or Sheldon Brown to show up
Old 07-29-05, 04:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats what I thought at first. However upon further inspection, I have pleanty of thread left in the BB shell for the fixed cup to keep going in more. Thanks for the response!
Old 07-29-05, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
  1. Can't help you there Chief. Wait for sydney, The Fixer, Retro Grouch, or Sheldon Brown to show up
sydney is dawin a blank on that one.Not playing thick either. Sometimes the terminology just does not compute.
Old 07-29-05, 07:55 AM

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Sounds to me like the BB shell does need facing. You can't cross-thread by "half a thread".

Orand, remove the cup and check the BB face; is there metal or paint showing? If it's paint you know the shell hasn't been faced. Either way, having your LBS do a quick facing is certainly a good idea; they can chase out the threads at the same time.
Old 07-29-05, 08:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone. I went ahead and bought some new campagnolo NOS cups and am having the BB shell faced and chased first thing tommorrow morning. My second question pertains these new cups. Correct me if I'm wrong...Older campy BB cups have "rifled" spindle through-holes. They almost look like theyve been tapped with threads. ( I dont know what protection this offers) I believe the later BB cups have neoprene seals to keep contaminants out. My question is whether or not these newer neoprene seal cups will work with older non-neoprene cupped spindles. I know its all pretty wordy, sorry! Thanks!
Old 07-30-05, 09:08 PM

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
If I remember correctly, the rifling was oriented to "spin" contaminates out of the BB as the axle rotated.

I don't think it was very effective, and you probably would be OK using whatever spindle you want as long as everything fits.