Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

FSA Vigorelli cranks

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

FSA Vigorelli cranks

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-05, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FSA Vigorelli cranks

I am thinking of getting the FSA Vigorelli cranks for my fixed gear bike. Should I be concerned about the dissimilar materials of the aluminum crank and carbon fiber spider coming apart over time?

Will
Old 07-30-05, 06:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two pairs of the FSA cranks. They both developed a problem with the spider having some amount of play relative to the aluminum arm. On a fixed-gear, this is NOT acceptable because it messes with braking and speed modulation. It took 5 or 6 months for FSA to come up with a fix, and I still have to send them back for replacement. Pretty crappy, though. Right now, the cranks are useless.
Old 07-30-05, 03:02 PM
The what?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
those are some nice looking cranks but from that comment on top of me i think i will think harder before i choose my next crankset
Old 07-30-05, 09:27 PM

Bikes: none

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do not buy these cranks if you plan to skid, or slow for that matter. the carbon disk,fits on a toothed spin. they develop play between the two parts. if you send them back to fsa, they will fill the gap with jb weld, and do a messy job at it as well. fsa is well known for making parts and not doing any r+d. give your hard earned money to someone else.
Old 07-31-05, 11:42 AM
BIG RING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was a problem that FSA addressed between their GENERATION 1 Vigorellis and the GEN2 version. I had seen first hand a set that had the "play" that Mikorp described above.

But FSA's 2005 model APPARENTLY is built better to address this problem, but I personally had been wary after seeing the mess that last year's model turned out to be, so I have not ordered any in, and have convinced a few customers to buy other cranks, avoiding a possible issue.
Old 07-31-05, 12:09 PM
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got these cranks because bikeroom.com sucks. I ordered sugino 75s and they sent me these with no explanation. My bb didn't fit but they offered to pay for a new one, so I just decided to go with them. They never ended up paying for my BB so I was a bunch of money down the hole, and I didn't want to be bikeless for the month or more it would take to sort out. My opinion on them: very solid with good power transfer, but really heavy. I haven't had any problems with disc/crankarm seperation but only time will tell. Again, the only reason I have these was because bikeroom.com is a terrible retailer.
Old 07-31-05, 12:50 PM
seniorita member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i dont understand the reason for this kind of design. sounds kind of like what cannondale does. mix some cool sounding materials and apply plenty of glue. they shouldnt
use technologie without the engineering know how and the R&D budget
of an aerospace company