Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Painting my frame..

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Painting my frame..

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-05, 11:50 PM

Bikes: gitane fixed conversion, giant ocr2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Painting my frame..

So i decided to paint my bike's 33 year-old frame. i have been going at it with sandpaper for the last 2 days and have cleared the majority of the larger tubes, but i just can't get at the corners/lugs well with this method. So i need another way to strip the paint off.

I have heard that paint stripper would work well - is this true? The problem is the headset/fork and bottom bracket are all still on the bike and i would have to be careful not to get the stripper in those parts, yes? I just need some method to remove the paint from all the corners, etc without damaging the frame.

I'm sure i'll have more questions later about the actual painting process..

Thanks
Old 07-31-05, 08:05 AM
Bammmm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you could sandblast it.
Old 07-31-05, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mr.goggles

I have heard that paint stripper would work well - is this true? The problem is the headset/fork and bottom bracket are all still on the bike and i would have to be careful not to get the stripper in those parts, yes? I just need some method to remove the paint from all the corners, etc without damaging the frame.
Stripper works super keen. Why not do it right and take out the BB and HS cups?
Old 07-31-05, 08:16 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sydney
Stripper works super keen. Why not do it right and take out the BB and HS cups?
+1

Remove everything from the frame before you proceed. Paint stripper works fine, I've used that method for years.
Old 07-31-05, 06:09 PM

Bikes: gitane fixed conversion, giant ocr2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i guess the reason i havn't done the BB/HS is because i've never done that before and am not sure if i have the tools/ability to do so. i've done all the other stripping and regular maintainance work on all my bikes.. is removing bb/hs much more difficult?
Old 07-31-05, 09:08 PM
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
For getting into lugjoints and braze-ons, it is nice to have a brass brisle brush in a Dremel tool. If it is a steel frame, then you can get away with a more effective steel brush. For a lot of steel frames, I go one bigger and use a 4 inch rotary brush in an angle grinder. Average strip time, 30 mins.
I have used a frame size sandblaster before on frames, and for the most part I like the brush better. The thing with a sandblaster is it can very easily cause sand to get inside the tubes where it is a challenge to remove.
Chem stripper is good if you have a particularly stubborn finish or no access to any of the afore mentioned tools. You will still need a small brass brush for working it into said areas. Be totaly certain to neutralize and remove all of your remover before adding primers, as it can cause metal corrosion if left in place for extended periods(the process should only take one session).
Old 08-01-05, 09:23 AM
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mr.goggles
i guess the reason i havn't done the BB/HS is because i've never done that before and am not sure if i have the tools/ability to do so. i've done all the other stripping and regular maintainance work on all my bikes.. is removing bb/hs much more difficult?
I did it just a few weeks ago with no special tools. While I had everything apart, I tossed the old "encased" bearings and put in loose ones. It's not to difficult at all. It would have been more work to tape off those areas than removing them. Just pay attenion to where everything goes as you take it apart.
Old 08-01-05, 09:53 AM
Spoked to Death

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz w/ Alfine 8, Specialized Fuse Pro 27.5+, Surly 1x1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recommend the stripper if you really need to remove all the old paint. But unless your old paint is actually peeling off or bubbling, you don't actually have to remove it! Just sand it to give it some 'bite', and then lay your primer and top coats right on top. If your original paint is actually bubbling up or peeling off, it may be worth removing it all with a chemical stripper (I like BIX Heavy Duty brand, from Home Despot). Physical removal is for people with way to much time on their hands.

peace,
sam
Old 08-01-05, 10:40 AM
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I, too, have repainted my road bike (more than once!). I did remove the BB and HS. It made it easier to work with. Everything off.

Also, I agree with phidauex about not removing all paint. The last time I painted my roadie I just "scuffed" it up with some scotchbrite. The old paint was good and not peeling.

Be sure to put something in the threaded holes before you primer. You will have a tough time with the threads if you get paint in them (sorry, this seems like a no brainer but I got excited the first time I painted and had to dig paint out of the threads).

I also used a small file to smooth out some rough spots. It turned out pretty good!

Good luck!
Old 08-01-05, 11:01 AM

Bikes: '97 Jamis Dakar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just finished giving my frame a paint job. You can see it and get some info here: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/121275-check-out-my-davidson.html

I just removed the existing decals carefully with a sharp razor, and then used 400 grit sandpaper to smooth the edges. I also sanded each chip and gouge until smooth, making sure any bare metal was shiny and bright, while lightly sanding the rest of the frame to roughen a little for the primer coat to attach to. This left a majority of the original paint to maximize chip resistance. End result was great.

-Jeff