Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

my ladyfriend got hit last night...

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-05, 01:02 PM
i believe in me

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this is a bit wordy but i tried to keep it as brief as possible...

last night we decided to go on a short bike ride, just to get some food and maybe down the street to check out a new receiver for our stereo and pick up a shower head. it being a short ride, michele didn't feel like wearing a helmet and i didn't feel like carrying my bag but was insistent on the helmet and she went aong with it. we kept it light, leaving cell phones behind and i put her ID in my wallet "in case she gets hit and killed so they can ID her" she said. just us, our bikes, and our fifteen pound new york chains and locks.

after dinner we head up to atlantic, the hectic 4 or 6 lane avenue leading down to Target, and make our way over there. Traffic was pretty heavy but nothing to intense. we pull up to target and lock our bikes up next to a fixie locked with only a u-lock through the front wheel! after doing some browsing we split and are headed back home. traffic is lighter so cars are flying and i contemplate hitting a side street but keep on atlantic - there's a good bit of bike traffic so drivers should be pretty aware. i'm leading with michele following about 5-10 behind me. as i go to cross bond a gypsy cab tries to turn left. i shout "YO!" and stops about 4 feet short. i glare at the guy and keep going, and when i'm about ten feet past i hear michele shout/scream, the sound of metal on metal, and bystanders start to yell. immediately i spin around and simultaneously, i think, try to jump off my bike while still clipped in. not sure exactly what i did, but it resulted in my stumbling a falling. i jumped back up, picked up my bike and contemplated throwing it at the cab. better sense prevailed though, and i ran up to see michele sitting upright but looking dazed.

i ran over to the cab and yelled "you almost hit me and then you hit my f*****g girlfriend! pull the f*** over!" the guy is acting like he doesn't know what i am talking about, but a large bystander is blocking his car, so he pulls over. as soon as the bystander and i turn to see if michele's ok the guy takes off up bond st. i run after him for a bit, then realize i that's just stupid, but i manage to get his license plate #. i keep repeating it to myself, figuring that if he gets away at least we can try to track him down, but then a dodge neon with two 50-something folks pulls up and they wave for me to get in. i jump in and we take off after the guy, them not speaking a lick of english and me steadily repeating the license plate #. he's turned right and as soon as we make the turn we see him make another right about 5 blocks up, back towards atlantic. when we make the turn we see i'm sitting at the red light, about four cars back. we pull up and i jump out of the car and run toward the cab. the light turns green and the cars in front of him begin to pull off. i grab the door handle and pull it open and as soon as i do he looks back, sees me, and begins to drive. i manage to get one foot in the car and hang on to the door then pull myself in. i slam the door and start yelling at him to pull over to which he keeps replying "no me! no me!" i wonder if he's going to pull over or just take off with me in the car, and i contemplate beating the crap out of him from the back seat. if i've ever been sure i could do it, it was then. after a couple of blocks he pulls over and the neon pulls in front of him. there's a huge flat-bed semi in the right lane and i flag him down and ask him to pull over and block the guy in and he does.

a group of hipsters on fixies, one rockin' a faux-hawk, ride by and i try to call them over to ask them to tell michele i got the guy and help is on the way because we both decided to leave out cells at home for the ride, but they just stare at me and roll on. The EMS gets down there and i send em down to michele. i'm freaked cause i have no idea how she's doing, but i'm not leaving this guy. the truck pulled off when the fire department got there so i take off my NY chain ready to smash whatever i have to to keep him there. he tries to give me his info and leave but i'm not moving. finally the cops show up, run his info, and find out he has an expired license. by this time there are or 6 cops there, agruing with each other about who has to deal with processing and paperwork for this guy. they ended up cuffing him, bringing him in, and taking his car. a cop gives me a ride back to michele, who is sitting in the ambulance but is doing well. her knee is bruised and swollen, her finger is stripped of skin where her ring was pulled off, and her glasses are broken in half. about this time i realized that my arm was killing me. i'm not sure what exactly happened but i can only bend my elbow from about a 75 degree angle to a 160 degree angle, i can't turn my palm facing up, and my wrist is killing me. ironic that she got hit by the car and i'm the more crippled of the two of us. she's pretty shaken up but taking it like a trooper. the assistant DA called this morning and talked to michele and they are arraigning the guy today. thin

and now for the part i know you're all waiting for: her bike is fine over all. her front wheel is taco'ed and the fork is scratched but doesn't appear to be bent. other than that, no damage i've noticed so far.

endless appreciation goes out to the older couple to helped me chase the guy down, to the amazing bystanders who took care of michele while i was gone, bought her water and juice and made her laugh, all the people who stuck around to be witnesses, and the cops for arresting the guy and being down with bikes and understanding.

a big F.U. to Manuel the cab driver - hope you're screwed now, and to the hipsters who couldn't stop to help me out.
Old 08-03-05, 01:07 PM
dc pirate, 4evah.

Bikes: several. blue. fun.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow- riders that saw someone down and didn't even stop to inquire? that's really bad.

it's really sad when folks don't realize that, sure, we don't all know eachother, but we're a community and we're all in this together.

i'm really glad you got that MF and that you and Michelle are all doing well. sad that it takes a ny chain to get folks to stay at the scene of an accident these days.
Old 08-03-05, 01:09 PM
King Among Runaways

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Pista, Cannondale Track, Soma Pake, Schwinn Breeze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice story.
glad to hear you two are okay.
f**king hipsters, good for nothing
Old 08-03-05, 01:12 PM
i believe in me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in the riders defense, at thst point i was 5 blocks up from michele so they didn't know someone was down... they could have thought i was just some wacko i guess. i wasn't near my bike either so they didn't know i was part of the club...

i just talked to my uncle who is an orthopedist anndd he thinks i have a radial neck/head fracture in my elbow... off to get x-rayed!
Old 08-03-05, 01:12 PM
Frankly, Mr. Shankly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Evan - that was epic. A good tale with a decent ending. I smiled because it sounds like people worked together for a common cause, especially in days like these when no one seems to give a damn.

As for the hipsters - well, what are you going to do. Damn laissez-faire cats everywhere.
Old 08-03-05, 01:16 PM
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
man, that is a crazy story! well, just know this: if it ever happens again and i'm there...i got your back. you gotta stay off atlantic though, that and flatbush. those roads are just too crazy.
Old 08-03-05, 01:16 PM
while my car gently weeps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always worry about this same thing when I ride with my fiance. She is always behind me it seems and I am constantly looking back for her. I worry more about her safety than my own when we ride. I can't imagine how rough that whole situation must have been. I am glad it turned out fairly well. Best of luck with the recovery for both of you.
Old 08-03-05, 01:17 PM
Dirty White Boy

Bikes: 2004 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1984 Raleigh Gran Prix fixed gear conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a wack situation. I live in Carroll Gardens and would happily have menaced/chased/sat on whomever was responsible if I had been there or rolling by. Atlantic is probably best avoided, though, for reasons similar to Houston. Too many trucks and people go like bats out of hell.
MADE IN TAIWAN

Bikes: Tarmac, Humble, Makino, Schwinn

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tough luck but glad that you two are relatively okay and the driver's busted. Hope all goes well. Hitting someone is bad enough, but hit and run is just shady. The older couple is the why I still have some faith in the human race, and the hipsters are why I don't have complete faith in the human race.
i believe in me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, riding down atlantic i was thinking "crap, we should really get off atlantic." i need to act on my instincts more
Old 08-03-05, 01:19 PM
no one wants an alien

Bikes: grandis track bike, cesare track bike, bianchi road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
woah - that's quite a story you have. glad no one was too injured, and that you'll remove that dangerous f_ck from the streets. heal up.

Last edited by FixednotBroken; 08-03-05 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-03-05, 01:20 PM
Retrogrouch in Training

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Holy crap!

I think you left out the part where the cabbie managed to shake the Neon so you took a shortcut to an overpass whereupon you lept from the railing onto the roof of the speeding cab below, wresting your way in on the passenger side door.

Glad to hear everyone's mostly ok.
Old 08-03-05, 01:21 PM
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by evanyc
yeah, riding down atlantic i was thinking "crap, we should really get off atlantic." i need to act on my instincts more
well, whatever. it could have happened just the same on a quiet side street. that must of been awful to hear your GF scream and the sound of metal on metal. horrific. but you did well, and she's lucky to have a guy who'll chase down cabs for her. good job, man.
Old 08-03-05, 01:35 PM
...leaving skid marks

Bikes: fuji track se ('02) | independent fabrication crown jewel ('04)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if ever there were a batch of drivers even worse than licensed cabbies are those 'livery' cabbies (trying to avoid the finger-wagging term 'gypsy')
Old 08-03-05, 01:44 PM
Fear the banana

Bikes: 1950s EG Bates track & 1960s Frejus track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im glad you guys made it out alive. Riding in this city can be crazy.

Its crazy that the guy took off and you were able to catch him.

As for the hipsters.. I really have nothing to say but worthless.
Old 08-03-05, 01:50 PM
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
evanyc - what exactly did you say to the hipsters? like you mentioned, you didn't have your bike and you probably looked pretty frantic waving them down. they should have stopped, but just trying to figure out why maybe they didn't...
Old 08-03-05, 01:53 PM
i believe in me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I always worry about this same thing when I ride with my fiance. She is always behind me it seems and I am constantly looking back for her. I worry more about her safety than my own when we ride."

exactly. i never really worry about myself but i'm constantly worried about her, despite the fact that she's a highly competent rider. i'm constantly looking back, especially if i hear her hit a bump or something.

sirrus - where in CG do you live? we moved to the corner of clinton and nelson on sunday.

wangster - so many people were rad last night. people in nyc constantly impress me with their helpfulness and generosity...

turd- very true, sorry. livery cabs.
Old 08-03-05, 01:58 PM
i believe in me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tim - i shouted "bike guys! fixies! i need help for a second!"

like i said, there wasn't really anything to distinguish me from any random person on the street, but it would have taken maybe 10 seconds for them to check out why i was waving them down. plus, fixie rider or not shouldn't really matter. people should help people... but yeah, my annoyance is more of a gut thing than them being absolutely horrible people.
Old 08-03-05, 02:05 PM

Bikes: DW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kennethalan
I always worry about this same thing when I ride with my fiance. She is always behind me it seems and I am constantly looking back for her. I worry more about her safety than my own when we ride.

i hear that. glad you're both ok
Old 08-03-05, 02:10 PM
while my car gently weeps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eddiebrannan
i hear that. glad you're both ok
She actually rides with one of those old school handlebar bells and I told her to give me a ring at random times just to go along with my constantly looking back. I get a sick feeling when I read this story again.
Old 08-03-05, 02:38 PM
Dirty White Boy

Bikes: 2004 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1984 Raleigh Gran Prix fixed gear conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evanyc
sirrus - where in CG do you live? we moved to the corner of clinton and nelson on sunday.
Mere steps away on Second Place, between Clinton and Henry. Welcome to the neighborhood.
Old 08-03-05, 02:53 PM
So I says to Mable I says

Bikes: '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ugh.. now I'm going to have a case of the paranoids on my ride home!

Some guy nearly took me out here in Toronto last year while I was riding in a marked bike lane.. I was having a yelling match with him when some girl rolled up and stuck her head fully in his window and started yellinw with me. I wanted to hug her..

Glad to hear you both got out fairly clean.. hope you just have a soft-tissue owie!
Old 08-03-05, 03:11 PM
Mo' Senior

Bikes: 1984 Norco Monterey SL (Ishwata 3X butted), matte black, 42-15 fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, what a terrible story. Thanks for sharing it. It's a goodd reminder about biking in the city. Bike in traffic for a while without incident, and you almost forget this sort of stuff happens. Good wake up call. Riding with my partner makes me supernervous, because she really isn't a biker, and has poor instincts in traffic. I always try to ride behind her, and out slightly further in the road, to give her a buffer zone.

Cabbies are the worst. A friend of mine used to courier in Montreal. One winter he was going through an intersection when all of a sudden a car lurched forward and hit him - but the car's wheels were locked up the entire time. It turns out a cabbie behind him decided he was in a big rush, and thought he'd push the car (with his cab--they were both on ice) into the intersection far enough to make a right turn behind the other car. Needless to say, neither my friend nor the other driver were very impressed, and would not let the cabbie leave.

Glad to hear you and your companion are (relatively speaking) okay. Death to useless hipsters.
Old 08-03-05, 03:22 PM
polishing my grill

Bikes: Croll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, just reading that was nerve-wracking. I'm glad everyone's sort of, maybe, doing alright. Hopefully you'll get a clean bill of health with regards to your arm and that cabbie will get the book thrown at him. You're a better man than most, I think I would have done some damage to his car or his person if it came down to it.
Old 08-03-05, 03:24 PM
bicyclelove

Bikes: surly commuter single-speed, a aegis road bike and a fuji 650 c track bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
glad to hear all is okay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.