Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Lost a lot of weight and now "hot" all the time

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-05, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quick background - weighed 206 (desk job) 3 years ago - had not worked out for over 4 years at that time. Epiphany occurs - got off my managerial butt and began running 4 times a week for the first year and then added road biking to the mix 2-3 times a week since then.

Long story short - now weigh 168. (47 years old, 5'9")

However, ever since I dropped below the mid to upper 170's - I run "hot" all of the time.

High body temp (99.0 on average), sweat easily, feel like any food I eat is burned off inside of 3 hours. Even got tested for diabetes - negative. Weird that when I had the body fat - I was cold most times irregardless of actual ambient temps - now at my skinny self- I throw the windows open every chance I get in order to cool off.

My wife jokes that I have caught her menopause - but I am curious if this shift in metabolic rate affects people who have lost a lot of weight and/or work out regularly?
Old 08-03-05, 09:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have had the opposite problem, I get colder a lot easier now. Just our bodies way of reacting to such changes I guess. Oh yeah, and I cant float on my back when I swim anymore and that pisses me off.
Old 08-03-05, 10:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What suppllements are you taking?
Old 08-04-05, 12:19 AM
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have lost a bit of weight (~30 lbs) and I have noticed that I feel hotter as well. I sweat like a freakin' pig when sleeping; very annoying. Last winter I wore shorts day in and day out (admittedly, "winter" here is pretty mild, but we still occasionally see mid-30s a point at which even hardy Minnesotans think I'm a little "different").

What suppllements are you taking?
erm . . . I take a multivitamin. And some beers + burritos . . . maybe it's all of those hot chili peppers?
Old 08-04-05, 01:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Corporate, It sounds like Hyperthyroidism to me. Guys can have thyroid problems too, especially athletes...Ask your doctor for a thyroid test, it's just a simple blood test, good luck. Jaz
Old 08-04-05, 07:55 AM
Castiron Perineum

Location: Taking a tip from Siu Blue Wind, I too am typing a lengthy passage of text down here to demonstrate the enormous amount of space available should one wish to use it-- in sharp contrast to the avatar text above this part.

Bikes: '06 Salsa Campeon, '84 Cannondale R1000, 80's Nishiki Ariel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do you notice one side of your body is hotter than the other, by chance?