Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

stripping down a schwinn continental

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-05, 11:34 PM
midnight biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so im stripping down a schwinn continental, from the 70's, and i cant for the ****ing life of me, get the stem out or the headset loose - is there something special i should know? or a particular lube/oil that might work well at loosening things up?

also, the bottom bracket on that? how do i get that out?
Old 08-04-05, 12:53 AM
Ferrous wheel

Bikes: 2004 Gunnar Rock Hound MTB; 1988 Gitane Team Pro road bike; 1986-ish Raleigh USA Grand Prix; mid-'80s Univega Gran Tourismo with Xtracycle Free Radical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it corroded badly? Liquid Wrench is good for freeing seized threads.

Sometimes you have to tap lightly on the stem with a rubber mallet or something soft between hammer and stem.
Old 08-04-05, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try the standard method first; back the stem bolt out enough to clear the stem by a bit, and whack it with a hammer. A lot of times the wedge will be really "wedged" in there.
You don't usually have to hit it very hard, just enough to separate the wedge from the stem proper.
Old 05-26-06, 08:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I have a similar problem - however the wedge has separated well enouugh (well i I have managed to retreive it from the bottlom of the steerer tube).

My Problem is that the stem (alloy) seems to have fused with the steel tube. Can I just apply brute force ? Or will likely damage the bike.

So far I have tried to knock the stem with a hammer (I am replacing it and an not too concerned if I end up damageing it if thats what it takes), I have also put thin oil around the "fused" area.

Any help would be most welcome.

Last edited by aussiepug; 05-27-06 at 06:59 AM.