Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Chain Saw + MTB

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-01, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy all,

I'm new to this forum, and I've searched through the archives trying to find out if my topic has already been covered; so hopefully I'm not being redundent.

I'm not much of a bicycle rider, as my lust lies with motorcycles. I have found that the smaller the motorcycle the more fun I can have (because I can push it harder).

So the next logical (or illogical) progression is to strap a chain saw to a mountain bike... by running a chain from the saw's sprocket to the front sprocket on the bike.

here's a link of someone else who has done it... just to show you all that I'm not the only one who is crazy:
https://www.saunalahti.fi/~narker/nakkis.htm

Basically, I'd like to know if any of you have attempted this, how it worked out, if you have any tips, or even a website with directions on how to go about this.

Thanks,
Alan Heng
Seattle, WA
Old 03-05-01, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nah, man, you're not crazy, but it isn't original either.

Back in the '60's and '70's, a lot of guys made their own mini-bikes by attaching small motors to bicycles.

Of course, the idea goes back to the 1930's and was the birth of the Whizzer bikes and what became motor bikes.

Maybe the use of a chainsaw on a mountain bike is new, but the concept is not.

Frankly, the older designs looked safer than the motorized mountain bike shown on the page you advised. Those exposed chains are going to bring a quick end to somebody's bicycling career when it tears their leg off.