Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Attn Atlanta: Bike lane on Edgewood

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-05, 01:12 PM

Bikes: Zeus (Razesa) tarck, Giant TCR road, Eddy Merckx road, Fuji Touring Series IV for everything else

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sure many of those who travel down Edgewood Ave have encountered cars parked in the bike lane going into town. A few months ago, a friend of mine asked a cop what could be done to alert the police about the problem when a car is parked there. The cop said that the best thing to do is to call 911 and let them know. This has been done on several occations and police have responded by asking the people in the surrounding businesses if they know whose cars those are and if they would please move them. To my knowledge, there have not been any tickets written or cars towed, but it is possible that it has happened.

This leads me to the encounter I had today. Upon seeing a red ford explorer parked in the bike lane in front of the "Laced Up" shoe store in the Dynamic Metal Lofts, I decided to call 911 and inform them. This vehicle is commonly parked in front of this store and I find it difficult to believe that the owner has not been warned about it before. Not having a cell phone, I went into the shoe store to ask if I could use their phone. This is the conversation that took place:

-"Hi, do you work here?"
-"yeah, whats up?"
-"Is there any way that I can use your phone?"
-(employee looks me over for a few seconds) "No"
-"Its just a local call"
-"no"
-"its just real quick"
-"no... its not a public phone"
-"Ok, thats cool. Is that your vehicle out there, in front of your store?"
-"...no"
-"Do you know whose it is?"
-"...no, I dont"
-"Well, thats a bike lane. And its illegal to park in a bike lane"
-"I don't care"
-"you don't care that its parked in a bike lane?"
-"no, I don't care"
-"all right then"
And I left the store.

As soon as I mentioned using the phone and he recognized me as a biker, the employee started to become, not hostile, but his demenor implied that I should no longer be there. He did not go back to his costomer as if I had interrupted him. In fact, I had waited until he was finished with the customer before engaging him. I was polite, only asking a favor that would cost him no money and take only a minute or so. I was greated with rudeness and, in the end, outright disreguard for cyclists. If it wasn't his vehicle, he should want to owner to know that it should not be parked in a bike lane. If it was hi, or a customer's vehicle, it is obvious that he cares more about money than doing a small thing to improve the safety of cycling in the city. I feel that this value is commonly held by people in this city.

I guess this post is just a heads up for riders. "Laced Up" does not care about cyclists.

tim
Old 08-05-05, 04:02 PM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Sounds like you were passively trying to confront the (possible)car owner instead of directly reporting to police.

What I'd so is avoid the BL altogther and ride in the center of the adjacent lane. Then drivers will be angry you are not in the BL (the lane helps them by keeping you out of their way more than it help you) and they may report the issue to police.

Al
Old 08-05-05, 05:21 PM

Bikes: Mongrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimArchy
...The cop said that the best thing to do is to call 911 ....
Call 911? For a parking violation?

You gotta be kidding me.
Old 08-05-05, 05:53 PM
EARTH IS FULL. GO HOME.

Bikes: Jeep Cherokee-se, Euro Eco-bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimArchy

-"Hi, do you work here?"
-"yeah, whats up?"
-"Is there any way that I can use your phone?"
-(employee looks me over for a few seconds) "No"
-"Its just a local call"
-"no"
-"its just real quick"
-"no... its not a public phone"
-"Ok, thats cool. Is that your vehicle out there, in front of your store?"
-"...no"
-"Do you know whose it is?"
-"...no, I dont"
-"Well, thats a bike lane. And its illegal to park in a bike lane"
-"I don't care"
-"you don't care that its parked in a bike lane?"
-"no, I don't care"
-"all right then"
And I left the store.

I guess this post is just a heads up for riders. "Laced Up" does not care about cyclists.

tim
Most stores won't let you use the phone for 'personnel' use. The guy was probably just doing his job and sticking to company policy. I hate it when cars are parked in bike lanes but would'nt class it as an emergency and can't understand why a copper would tell you to phone 911.