Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mavic CXP22 vs. CXP33 -wheel swapping

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-05, 08:06 PM
Passionate or O-C?

Bikes: 2005 Bianchi Axis, Motobecane Le Champion SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd like to mount some road tires on a second wheelset for my Bianchi Axis. I weigh 235 lbs and currently have a Mavic CXP22(32Hole)/Shimano Tiagra wheelset on the bike. I'd like to get a slightly better set... maybe CXP33/Shimano 105. I live a long ways from my LBS and wouldn't mind having a spare wheelset handy.

Does anyone know if the profiles of these wheels are similar... ie: If I choose rims other than CXP22's, will I have to adjust the brakes each time I swap wheelsets? Is it preferable to stick with another set of CXP22's?

Is this issue even worth worrying about?

Thanks for any information,
desmobob
Old 08-07-05, 09:31 PM

Bikes: TiSport Road frame with Campagnolo Daytona/Centaur + Record/Open Pro wheels | 2002 Bianchi Volpe | 2003 Giant TCR 2 w/ Sun ME14A rims/Ultegra 6500 hubs/ Bianchi SL Centaur (currently being refurbished)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With dual pivot caliper brakes, the adjustment is so trivial I wouldn't worry about it. With cantilevers, which I expect your Axis has, it's a little more finicky. Research the width of the CXP series rims you're referring to to determine that you will or will not need to readjust the brakes. If quick swaps are important, pick a rim with the same width. I think the big difference between the CXP-22 and CXP-33 is profile and ERD.
Old 08-07-05, 11:52 PM
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I agree, the difference will be negligible

this site doesn't have the CXP22 dimensions, but the cxp33 is 19.4mm and the MA3 is 20.2mm. I pretty sure the cxp22 would be no wider than the MA3

https://www.chickencycles.co.uk/produ...road_rims.html