Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Thanks 50+ 'ers!!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Thanks 50+ 'ers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-05, 11:31 PM
Keep goin'

Bikes: Rocky Mt. Carve, Stumpjumper '05 HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks 50+ 'ers!!!

I don't feel so unique Mt. Biking 'at my age'. I feel like a mix between a child and adult. After work I surf the Moab terrain and have so much fun!! .Have I finally learned to 'balance' daily work and play?
I am glad to know there are more of 'us' 50+ boomers staying active and healthy. Good forum.
Old 08-08-05, 12:06 AM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are we following some kind of aging bell curve here where we're returning to childhood? I sometimes wonder if we have more "fun" cycling at our age...more than those sometimes compulsive, driven youngsters over in the "Road Cycling" section. Knowing some age-peers who have a hard time climbing out of their LazyBoys or tying their shoes.....I'd say we probably appreciate wind in our ears and topping hills more than some of our younger brethern.

David Don't-Care-What-It-Looks-Like-Anymore-As-Long-As-It-Works
Old 08-08-05, 06:34 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
[QUOTE=moabrider) After work I surf the Moab terrain and have so much fun!! .Have I finally learned to 'balance' daily work and play? [/QUOTE]

Tell us about work opportunities for the 50+ crowd in Moab and western CO. My in-laws live in Grand Junction and been thinking about going there, not ready for retirement yet, but getting close.
Old 08-08-05, 10:45 PM
Keep goin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We're in agreement..I love the 'wind in my ears' too. Just came down from the Slickrock Trail Area..9:30.Beautiful, 80's, lightening off in the distance, smell of rain in the air.. Can't wait for the full moon next week when I can ride the warm rock until 11 or so. I can't believe there is no one else up there? Go figure???

Are you the Grannygear that comes to Moab for the24 hour race?
Old 08-08-05, 10:52 PM
Keep goin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't tell you much about GJ, it's 103 miles away, larger city, more jobs. Moab has very limited job opportunities. Alot of us have 2 or 3 PT jobs, seasonal at that. Check out 'moab' on the web for more detailed info.

Do come here to ride though! The terrain is varied and beautiful! I work at one of the visitor centers and am asked quite often these same questions .

Cheers!
Old 08-08-05, 11:37 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yo Moabrider........no, not that Grannygear......more of a road rider myself, though I do have a beat up, old Rockhopper hanging in the garage. Your delight and description makes me think about singletrack.....especially after getting splashed by a passing leaky tallow truck some weeks ago.
Old 08-09-05, 05:30 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Hey, Moabrider

If all goes well with my heart procedure in 2 weeks, my wife and I are likely to come to Moab in perhaps October of this year.

She (at 67yo) is not up to any kind of challenging slopes, but we do enjoy bicycling gentle single track or trails, and will be bringing our mtn bikes with us.

We were in Moab for just a night last year, and did all of the in-town trails.

So, what does Moab have for the very easy rider?

We are also looking at Canyonlands, etc.

Have done some internet searches and have found a couple of supposedly easy trails, but first hand recommendations are always the best!
Old 08-09-05, 01:04 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Many different reasons for the older riders appearing, but the main thing is that there are more and more of us getting out and enjoying ourselves. Why? Health, fitness problem, enjoyment, spare time? I don't know, but one thing I have noticed is that the average age of riders on the trails where I live is getting higher. Very few 50 plussers, but we are there, but a lot more 40 + and less and less of the -20's.

I know that I ride because I enjoy it. I was riding before my medical scares, And I am certain that it was cycling that got me through them as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, my age group, and yours, are a decreasing breed, so perhaps you ought to start looking at yourself as a "Bit Special" in the cycling world. Just look at your friends and work colleagues. I would not mind betting that there are very few of them that do any form of exercise, and even fewer will take part in a benificial sport such as cycling.
Old 08-10-05, 12:12 PM
Keep goin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes! May we all continue to support one another and hopefully inspire the not-so-active to join in the fun!
As the moon peeked out from the last of the evening stormclouds, I rode uphill to the top of ancient sandunes. Mystical for sure. I cannot believe I was virtually alone in this vast desert. It's moments like these I will always remember.

Now, today, back to the workout routine!
Old 08-10-05, 12:16 PM
Keep goin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the rains continues, and the sandy washes stay moist, there are 3 trails I'd recommend for you two;
Sovereign Trail, Klondike Bluffs Trail and Bar M loop. All are approx 10 mi. north of town accessible from 191. Let me know when you're coming and I'd be happy to hook up with you two.
Old 08-10-05, 12:18 PM
Keep goin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh...good luck with the procedure. Hope you are back on the trail in notime!
Old 08-10-05, 12:21 PM
Keep goin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stumjumper sounds perfect. I just put 2.1 panaracer "fires' on my Rocky Mt. what a difference lighter tires make. I need to buy a Trek touring bike or perhaps hard tail. I still want a lighter bike for road and track combo riding.
Old 08-10-05, 12:46 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by moabrider
If the rains continues, and the sandy washes stay moist, there are 3 trails I'd recommend for you two;
Sovereign Trail, Klondike Bluffs Trail and Bar M loop. All are approx 10 mi. north of town accessible from 191. Let me know when you're coming and I'd be happy to hook up with you two.

Oh...good luck with the procedure. Hope you are back on the trail in notime!
Thanks