Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Serious issue...what should I do?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-05, 06:16 PM

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

Ok this A.M. on my commute to work traffic is light and giving me room. it was a cooler morning and I was enjoying my ride.

and then things got very ugly. There is a local trucking company with crap drivers and crappier trucks. Well as I am southbound, a car is coming around me and pushing me hard. I am like wanting to turn and look at him but was scared of it turning my bike and me getting clipped. I continue pedaling I am doing like 25 in a 55 zone, waiting for them to get beside me so I could give them the WTF look. AND THEN WHAM I see this semi truck with trailer also travleing southbound and passing this car who is passing me. OMG I have no where to go. and I am not going to hit the ditch at 25 mph !! I brake hard start sliding and then release the brakes totally freakked out.

I guess I live, and I wasn't clipped.

This trucking company sends theses guys and their trucks up and down this road all day long. Do I call and complain?? I know I should call, but I am also scared of wondering what these guys are going to do to a dude on a bike on the road they travel for ratting out a co-worker on his stupidity. Although I didn't get a truck # or see the driver.

I wished I had a truck number but OMG 3 wide (counting me) on a 2 lane road all going southbound ?

STUPID!
Old 08-09-05, 06:28 PM
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Call the truck company. Don't accuse them of doing anything wrong, since it is the car who was crowding you, not the truck. Ask them to ask their drivers to watch out for dangerous situations. If next time the truck does it to you, get the truck's number and fuss until they fire the guy.

PS o/t You SCAdian?
Old 08-09-05, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have a theory that is running in my head about this morning. as it was taking this car a bit of time to get around me.... ummm at 50 it would be twice my speed. I was thinking that maybe this car hit their brakes hard and the trucker didn't have a choice but to pass.

so yeah it was an ugly situation that could have been uglier, but turned out all ok. I'll go ahead and give the call and just express concern for my saftey and not be accusing.

Oh and today was the first day not wearing my roadcrew vest. One of those things I really did have time to grab it and put it on. but didn't. and I guess it would be ok to be late to work as they are very forgiving and tolerable.

o/t no I am not SCA .....yet. I want to join but haven't yet. I did go to Blackstone Raids in Charleston this past April. I've smoked for 12 years just quiting and started biking. I am in my 4th week of biking. Figured if I am to run in armor I will need to be in shape and at 32 I am not sure how fast I could learn the art of rapier or fencing. So I would go heavy.
Old 08-09-05, 07:17 PM
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
o/t Cool I did heavy back in college and for a while after, but switched to light and other interests. Now I'm "semi-retired" and biking instead.
Old 08-09-05, 07:31 PM

I guess I am also scared of getting squired by an A-hole knight who teaches me nothing. I should find the local meetings close. Attend a few and find someone worth training me.
Old 08-09-05, 09:47 PM
Rider of Bike.

Bikes: Felt F60--Giant MTB--SS beater

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find the Google ads that appear in this post strangely comical. You too could be a truck driver, or own your own semi.