Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dura Ace Front Brake Mounting

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-02, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I have another problem. I started to mount my new Dura ace brakes on my Trek 5500 but the stud is to short on the front brake to mount on the fork. Is there a longer nut made for this or can I change the stud? I tried Shamano's web site but found no way to contact them. The nut would have to be very long because I already tried the one on my 5200. It was longer but still to short.

Thanks,
Old 08-07-02, 08:33 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
There are longer nuts available, yep. A bike shop that sells Kestrels would certainly carry them, if there's such a shop nearby.
Old 08-07-02, 09:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek or lemond dealrers are your best bet.they deal with it all the time
Old 08-08-02, 12:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not trying to insult you ( because I've made this mistake), but are you sure it's a front brake caliper? The current 5200 and 5500 share the same fork! So what works on one should work on the other...
Old 08-08-02, 05:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by cogito
Not trying to insult you ( because I've made this mistake), but are you sure it's a front brake caliper? The current 5200 and 5500 share the same fork! So what works on one should work on the other...

You misunderstand, the 5200 has a 105 brake. The Dura Ace are going on a 5500. The 105 has a longer stud and nut. I tried the longer nut from the 105 on the Dura Ace but it was still to short. If I use the brake I put on the back and put it on the front. The brake with the short stud still will not work on the back.
Old 08-08-02, 09:52 AM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not sure if I understood right, but the Dura Ace brake with the long stud is the front brake and the one with the short stud is the rear brake. Do you mean that you've had trouble with the shorter-stud DA brake on the rear of your bike, and have used the front brake on the rear as a result?

If you did use the front brake on the rear, I hope you switched the brake pads left to right also, because the pad cartridge could slide right out of the holder if the open end faces the front of the bike.

Sorry if I'm not interpreting your wording correctly :confused:
Old 08-08-02, 06:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried the brakes both ways. I did switch the brake pads. Still to short. Went to the bike shop and purchased The Problem Solver (longer nuts). I only purchased one now I have to go back for another, $6.00 a piece.

Thanks for all of the help.
Old 12-06-03, 06:29 PM
Just Pedaling

Bikes: Trek 5500 & Colnago Asso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silveradoboomer
Hello,

I have another problem. I started to mount my new Dura ace brakes on my Trek 5500 but the stud is to short on the front brake to mount on the fork. Is there a longer nut made for this or can I change the stud? I tried Shamano's web site but found no way to contact them. The nut would have to be very long because I already tried the one on my 5200. It was longer but still to short.

Thanks,
Got the same problem here with my new 7800 DA brakeset on a trek 5500. Were you able to find a longer recessed nut? I went to my LBS but they don't have it. I'll check my closest trek dealers to find out.
Old 12-06-03, 10:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ezryder03
Got the same problem here with my new 7800 DA brakeset on a trek 5500. Were you able to find a longer recessed nut? I went to my LBS but they don't have it. I'll check my closest trek dealers to find out.

Yes I did purchase the long nuts. They are not cheap about $6.00 a piece. Any bike shop that handles high end road components should have them or be able to order some. I have not compared the 7800 brakeset with mine so I don't know if you will need a longer nut than I used or not. I have looked online, but have had no success.

silveradoboomer
Old 12-06-03, 11:50 PM
Just Pedaling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silveradoboomer
Yes I did purchase the long nuts. They are not cheap about $6.00 a piece. Any bike shop that handles high end road components should have them or be able to order some. I have not compared the 7800 brakeset with mine so I don't know if you will need a longer nut than I used or not. I have looked online, but have had no success.

silveradoboomer
I needed a longer nut. Can't even touch the nut to the bolt/stud on my 7800 DA brakeset. Called a trek dealer today and said they have it i will go monday to purchase a pair of longer nuts. Got the same trek 5500. Here's a picture of my unfinished bike.
Old 12-10-03, 12:37 AM

Bikes: Cannondale 1FG, older Cannondale F-500, Custom F-600 Cannondale, Masi Gran Corsa, and a steel bike hand built by my father

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if it's the beer talking or what, but that's going to be a nice ride once it's finnished. Good luck.
Old 12-10-03, 06:53 AM
Just Pedaling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rancid_chicken
I don't know if it's the beer talking or what, but that's going to be a nice ride once it's finnished. Good luck.
Rancid _chicken, i use to live there in cookeville before from 92-97. How's the city now? I've heard the city is growing. Anyway, i went to the bike pedlar in nashville and was able to get a pair of longer nuts monday and will start putting the record cables and wrap the handle bars. Thanks guys and will post the complete bike when it is finished.
Old 12-11-03, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
just curious, what was your rationale for using record brake levers and group and the dura-ace brakes? It'll work fine, but I'm just curious as to why you just didn't buy the whole group?
Old 12-11-03, 04:25 PM
Just Pedaling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatman
just curious, what was your rationale for using record brake levers and group and the dura-ace brakes? It'll work fine, but I'm just curious as to why you just didn't buy the whole group?
It's just a preference. I did not buy the " group parts ". I bought it one at a time. I believe i was able to buy it for 20% less with patience and research.
Old 12-15-03, 01:39 AM

Bikes: Cannondale 1FG, older Cannondale F-500, Custom F-600 Cannondale, Masi Gran Corsa, and a steel bike hand built by my father

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
exryder03: Cookeville has really grown in that amount of since you've lived here.

It's sort of sad to hear that the Bike Pedlar is going out of business after something like 34 years in business.
Old 12-27-03, 09:36 AM
Just Pedaling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rancid_chicken

It's sort of sad to hear that the Bike Pedlar is going out of business after something like 34 years in business.
Go check them out, they have 50% off helmets, sidi, carnac and dmt shoes. Bikes and frames are also at closeout prices. They have wheelsets at 30% off on spinergy and mavic's. I bought a couple parts and ultimate bike stands at 50% off.