Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

"honey i got hit by a car..."

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

"honey i got hit by a car..."

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-05, 08:47 AM
THC Freedom Fighter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'd been holding and with ups customer service rep for 15-20 mins for what the message said would be a 5min wait....but once the chowderhead explained that although he fully understands my problem there was nothing that he could do to me, thus i have to wait until my day off for them to deliver my package that i have been waiting on for 2 weeks, though not their issue, but i really need this for a project that is getting out of hand.....

ha...thats about as vague a description as i can get.....

during this 15-20mins, the 2way on the phone kept going off....not wanting to risk a disconnect i just put it off, until i could get done with this call....but then my cellphone went off....no one has this number, well its new and probably 3 people have it....

miss the call but get the message, and its from the girlfriend and it starts by saying honey i got hit by a car and then rambles on...i can tell she's in shock by the message left, as i am listening for details, she calls again crying telling me that while coming home from the store she was hit by a car and was in the emergency room waiting for the doctor to come in, overall ok but in need of treatment for a cut on her chin and a concussion...i ask her what she wants me to do, and see gives me the # to a guy that lives in our neighborhood that was in the parking lot and saw the whole thing, and ran to help her. so i called him and he lives few doors down and he brought her bike and bag right over....

now she had asked me just to pick up her stuff and that she would catch a ride back home with the driver of the car that hit her (he brought her to the hospital)....i told her to jump in a cab, but she went on about how nice a guy he was and the whole 9..

being that she was confused, she only told me the hospital's name....and there are 2 that i know of, one near the house...so i figured i would check that one first...but she wasn't there, so i made the dash out to the one in berkeley...never made that ride that fast..i get there in no time at all, lock my bike up to a fence since i didn't see anything else and rush inside trying to catch up with her...but i was detained by hospital security that insisted that i remove my bike immediately, 1st and foremost and place it in the parking garage where there is parking provided for bicycles...

Security Officer Eric, consider yourself lucky that i didn't mop up the er with your punk ass...but you'll get yours because if you continue to talk to people in the manner in which you talked to me, each day you go to work brings you one day closer to meeting that person that will not be in as much control as me during an emotionally tense time......and they will take care of your punk ass kid... there i said it, was going to tell him personally, but thats a life lesson i want him to learn first hand....

anyway i move my bike and run back, ask Eric again to see if my girl is there...at and after a while he comes back and then takes me to her room....he was trying to act nice, but the damage was done but i'm here for my girl, who asked me why i came, then finally broke down once i was there and was glad i came...

seeing loved ones bloody sucks, but just a cut to the chin and aches and pains...which was the first good news....she asked me if the guy was still waiting, and i think i scared him off during my confrontation with security..

so they glued her chin back together, wrote her a script and released her so we ended up calling a couple of friends to come and give us a ride home...

Big Ups go out to Chris...i owe you in a major way bro mere thanks is not enough and to our friends that came out to pick us up...

sorry for not saying exactly what happened, but you never know these days who is reading what...
Old 08-10-05, 09:16 AM
eibwen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry that your girlfriend got hit, but it sounds like she's just a little shaken//bruised up, so it sounds like everything turned out for the best. Despite hitting her, sounds like the driver at least tried to do the right thing. Better than some stories I've heard about//read.

Maybe it's not your foremost concern or her's, but that new glue they're using is pretty awesome stuff. I've seen a plastics guy glue a nose back together after it was sliced down to the bone, and the scar was so small later that it was basically invisible. It's really cool stuff, and if the surgeon was any good, she should be able to hope for only the smallest of scars, if any.
Old 08-10-05, 09:33 AM
Slower than you

Bikes: IRO Mark V & Don Walker Custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear that your girl got hit man, that really sucks. If you need any parts for her bike let me know, I might have something you need. I'm glad the driver did the right thing and owned up to it. Last two times I've been hit the driver just kept going....
Old 08-10-05, 10:55 AM
i believe in me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i definitely know how you're feeling. good luck with the healing up, and take good care of the lady. it's nice you had a relatively helpful driver. did anyone get his info?
Old 08-10-05, 11:09 AM
artistic tricyclist

Bikes: 2k3 Norco CRD3, 2k2 Kona Stinky, 2k1 Devinci Cactus, 1984 Norco Eliminator Mk.II, 1973 CCM Mistral, 1980s Peugot Sport SL TT, 2k1 Giant XTC NRS1, 2k Norco VPS Drop, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too bad your girl got hit. As to lucky charms comment about the new medical glues, I had a pretty nasty crash in a road race at the begining of the season and split my lip and took a chunk outta my chin and the glued 'er up and it now its pretty much scar free, still a bit red and noticeable but not bad at all.
Old 08-10-05, 01:27 PM
Mo' Senior

Bikes: 1984 Norco Monterey SL (Ishwata 3X butted), matte black, 42-15 fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry about the accident man. Glad to hear she's relatively okay. I hope the bike faired as well.

I had a really incompetant doctor glue my head up with that stuff, and I ended up with a hug scar. It's gradually fading, but it's still noticeable, almost a year later.

Here's a photo from the next day. The glue gives the blueish tint. Sorry no photo of the healed scar.

Old 08-10-05, 05:59 PM

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That new glue sounds better than the old way, stitch up the inner part of the chin with chromic gut, then the skin with Ethalon, go back later to have the outer stitches taken out, the inner ones stay in there and I guess gradually dissolve.
Old 08-10-05, 08:46 PM
eibwen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even though the glue is a new formula, the idea is forty years old. They were using (essentially) the same **** in 'nam to close chest wounds and other serious bleedouts. Problem was there could be some, erm, skin irritation involved (I've heard some pretty bad stories from medics in 'nam about the removal of the compound once the injured man was taking to a hospital), as well as the fact that the FDA hadn't actually approved it for use (why let a little thing like FDA approval stand in your way?!).

I guess when you have guys laying on the jungle floor spilling gallons of blood on the ground from a massive chest wound you don't get the luxury of worrying about skin irritation and FDA approval. Makes a good amount of sense to me.