Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

ATTN: downhillers

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-02, 08:56 AM
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have 120 acres of land on the edge of the Ozarks, and want to build a downhill course. I'm an old XC rider/ racer, and have wanted to get into DH for awhile now. On this land there is a big hill, about 400' of drop, with varying steepness and terrain. In short, an excellent place to build a downhill track. There are also several cliffs and rocks and things to do big drops off of (not sure at my age if I want that or not, but it would be cool to watch OTHERS do it). So I'm asking your opinions on several things.

-I need info on buliding a track. Possibly a 4X or dual slalom course. Anything on the net?

-I need opinions on downhill specific bikes. I'll probably start with a frameset and build from there.

-And lastly, who sanctions these events?

The part of the country I live in has a surprisingly large bike communty, and I am on good terms with the local bike shops (they have a big part of my disposable cash heheh). I'm just not sure yet if I will do this for local riding buds or go bigger and hold events. Thanks in advance...
Old 08-09-02, 10:52 AM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well that is a pretty short downhill for a pro ds I think. You may want to take a look at the north shore in Vancouver. Make the track as technical as possible using those drops and creating some manmade structures that both provide challenge for the rider and protection for the environment. The key here is to create flow and rythem on the course.

As for Sanctioning body I think it is Norba but to be honest I am not sure. You may want to contact Whistler mountain as well. They sponsor a couple of big downhill events and also have one of the best downhill tracks in the western states with A-Line. They may be able to help you out. If you wanted to go more technical go to the northshore and try and find the 'work crew' building the trails there. These are the BEST manmade trails in the world. Also we have a group up here that does a lot of work protecting the environment by creating environment friendly tracks. https://www.worca.com/

Hope this helps a bit. Ciao.

ps

As for bikes it will be a preference. On the west coast Norco rules for dh/technical. Their vps series bikes are heavy and STRONG and can handle just about anything thrown at them. Kona makes some great bikes for dh as well. Santa Cruz offers the vpp system which is incredible for performance. Giant and specialized also offer great dh bikes. (I love Giant's look, makes me want ride over things). For European bikes take a look at Orange bikes. These are popular over here and are VERY light and strong. When put together and beefed up these weight as much as some xc bikes. AWESOME.

Last edited by Maelstrom; 08-09-02 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-09-02, 10:56 AM
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With only 400' you might want to stick with a dual slalom rather then dh. Seeing as the smaller dh courses ( at least out hear) decends around 1500'. Also depending on the drops that are there you could make a cool little freeride course. I would suggest contacting your LBS for info on designing a course. If they do not know how then perhaps they could hook you up with some local dh/dual slalom riders. I am sure they would like to help out, especialy if it gives them a place to ride with out the hassel of other trail users.
As for a bike, check out the new issue of MTBAction. They tested 5 dh bikes, all of witch would suit your needs ( I would stay away from the KHS though). Another thing to consider, if you set up a ds or mountain-X track you will not need a full blown dh rig. If you do decide to get a dh rig the problem you will encounter is a test ride. You can not judge dh rigs with a rid in a parking lot or even on a long fire road. They do not work well unless they are in there element. Try looking at Kona's "stinky" series, Giant's NRS or Specialized "Eduro" line ( although personaly I do not like Specialized).
Slainte
Old 08-09-02, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey MikeOK be sure to drop by www.dorba.com that's the dallas off road bike assoc. since there in you neck of the woods. There might also be people there who might help build the trail.
t
Old 08-09-02, 11:41 AM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally posted by The Toninator
Hey MikeOK be sure to drop by www.dorba.com that's the dallas off road bike assoc. since there in you neck of the woods. There might also be people there who might help build the trail.
t
Thats a real estate agency?
Old 08-09-02, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
sorry.

www.dorba.org
Old 08-09-02, 04:31 PM
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do understand that by mountain standards a 400' drop is small, but that is elevation change and is quite big by OK standards. There is more drop in those hills than that but not all of it is ridable. By length, I could probably do about a 1 mile course for a downhill. I could also include several drops, but that would be for me to watch instead of do (like somebody's quote above- "I could but you go first").

Thanks for the replies. I am familiar with the Santa Cruz and Giants. Might look closer at the Santa Cruz. Those guys used to be a small shop, and a friend of mine had one of their bikes once and got good service from them. Thanks again...
Old 08-09-02, 04:37 PM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It would be a good brutal trail. We have a trail out here with an elevation of 600'. It is AWESOME. You have to climb up it to come back around. Changes terrain several times and is a very brutal uphill but a smooth dh.

Best of luck with the trail. I think a freeride type trail with lots of technical would be your best bet.
Old 08-09-02, 05:27 PM
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Santa Cruz are sweet bikes. I had a brain fart and forgot to mention them. I have rode the VPP and the bulit, both sweet machines.
Slainte