Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Some Research - 2005 Schwinn Super Sport

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-05, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can anyone give me a rough evaluation of this bike?
https://www.schwinnbike.com/products/...ail.php?id=403

My wife and I may pick a couple of these up as our "first nice" bikes. We're not looking for top of the line, just somthing we can get used to biking for fitness and get into biking. We will probably replace them as we progress, we just don't want to spend a grand each on bikes (thats kinda rough on the checkbook).

Thanks!

later
Old 08-16-05, 10:44 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Depends on what you're looking for in a bike, but have to admit you can probably do better than this for the money (at least by looking at the MSRP).

Derailleurs, while Shimano, appear to be lower end / unnamed parts, 24 speeds is plenty for most people, over kill for others, and only a few have real need for more. Brakes are Promax - again - low end stuff. I have Promax brakes on my MTB, the rear works ok, front disk is pretty weak, and from what I've heard nearly anything short of plastic is better.

Not sure if you know, but Schwinn is now owned by an overseas company called Pacific Cycle - they also own Mongoose, GT, and others as far as I've heard. Mostly stock bikes for Xmarts, big chain sporting goods stors (Oshmans, Sports Authority, etc). This time of year you may start checking out the LBS's for end of season sales. If you want a Hybrid bike for all around cycling and looking to spend around $400 you have a fair chance of picking up an entry level Trek or such for around that price in the coming weeks.
Old 08-17-05, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the reply.

yeah, while i was trying to find some reviews on these bikes, i saw that bit about schwinn being owned by pacific cycles.

we saw them at dick's sporting goods, they just finished building it, about 3 minutes from our place. the reason we are looking to buy them, is they are having their grand opening sale on saturday, and the sales guy told us that the bikes will be on a signifigant sale. and they finance.

there is a bike shop not far from here either, i'll try to make it out there before the weekend and have a look.

thanks again for your reply.

later